Notices

Free fall

Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Free fall

Hi. This is my first post here. My therapist recommended I check out this site....I'm trying to get sober, and I don't have any sort of support group. It's very lonely. And I don't have anyone to talk to when I want to use...Or when I'm feeling emotional.

I've tried AA for years, and finally gave up on it. I seemed to find a method that was working for me in January--a combination of therapy, lots of yoga, recovery podcasts, recovery websites, books....For the first time in 8 years, my perspective on alcohol completely shifted. I didn't WANT it anymore! It didn't look like my best friend anymore, like this solution that I needed and longed for but couldn't have---instead I saw it for what it was: poison. A toxin. Something that was NOT a solution.

I felt FREE and it was amazing, and frankly, I never thought I could ever feel that way.

But I slipped up, and now I've been in a free fall for the past few weeks. I can't seem to get myself back to where I was. If I could have that perspective once, I must be able to have it again. But how? How do I get back to that place of freedom from alcohol--and freedom from the "need" to drink?

Even if there are no answers to my question, mostly I just don't want to feel so alone in my recovery anymore. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Josephine,

You are definitely not alone, and we do understand how hard this is.

You can get back to your recovery and to living a sober life. I think it's important to figure out what happened that led you to drinking again and make a plan to avoid that happening again in the future. Maybe you need to make more changes in your life to support your recovery lifestyle? I had to remove a few people from my life and change some activities as well.

Have faith that you can do this!
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Josephine... I am right there with you (although never had that much sober time). But I am still determined not to let this beat me. My life had been doing better the times I was sober, but It never seemed to be enough, so my answer was "well, why not if this is as good as it gets". That just can't be true.... I want more than that for myself. It's nice to meet you!
Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2/2016

What happened that you no longer saw alcohol as poison? did you feel great from being sober awhile and decide to just drink again? have a few?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi HTown,

What happened was that I came across a couple of bottles that I had hidden and completely forgotten about. I saw them and actually laughed out loud, because I felt so completely neutral toward them. I had zero desire to drink them! My mistake was not taking them and throwing them away right then and there. Instead, about 2 weeks passed, and I had forgotten about them again. I had a really frustrating, hurtful phone call with someone I care about and I was hurt--I remembered the bottles and went for them. I just wanted to stop hurting.

Prior to this, I'd been able to successfully deal with anger, frustration and hurt through various healthy coping methods--and I honestly think if those bottles had not been there in my house, I wouldn't have drank. I might even still have continuous sobriety. Instead, that choice started a slow downhill slide that has started to rapidly pick up its pace.

And try as I might to reframe my perspective on alcohol, I can't get back to where I was in January. It has just become my 'solution' again. The thing I 'want' and feel like I'm denied, instead of being this poison I recoil from.

I'm so frustrated and angry with myself.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, josphine28, welcome to SR.

You are so NOT alone in this...your experience is quite common. You've pinpointed the mistake of not getting rid of those hidden bottles once you found them. Can you picture how you may have reacted differently to the hurtful conversation if you did not have those bottles readily available?

Maybe you need to start doing the things that were helpful in the first place for you, Yoga/exercise, more podcasts, read and post here on SR now too.

If you can just recommit to a few days of not drinking, you will start to feel better quickly and give yourself some grace because you may feel lousy for a small time...but you definitely can get back to feeling good again.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Josphine!!
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You mentioned recovery podcasts; any specific ones you can recommend for a newbie? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome tomwaitsfornoone

D
Old 10-26-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

You’re not alone. I know exactly how you feel.
I come here to feel accepted and have people who understand. And everyone does understand.
I see alcohol as poison too, but unfortunately one I cannot give up. Trying trying trying.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

You’re not alone. I know exactly how you feel.
I come here to feel accepted and have people who understand. And everyone does understand.
I see alcohol as poison too, but unfortunately one I cannot give up. Trying trying trying.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi TomWaits. I have three alcohol/recovery podcasts I follow. My favorite is Since Right Now — three hosts with good chemistry, actually funny, and irreverent. Also I really like the Recovered Podcast — more AA oriented (I'm not in AA, but a lot of valuable information), plus rotating guest hosts/viewpoints in addition to Mark, the main guy. Also check out Recovery Elevator — one host, who interviews people in recovery with anywhere from days to decades of sobriety.

That being said, there's a ton of others out there, so poke around and see what you find.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Could be my post Josephine.....you are not alone in this. I’m right where you are & struggling to get back up......in day 4 & thankful for that.....we can get where we were again & stay there. Love & strength to you!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Could be my post Josephine.....you are not alone in this. I’m right where you are & struggling to get back up......in day 4 & thankful for that.....we can get where we were again & stay there. Love & strength to you!
Mariah, if you’re on day four, you’re already standing. Just need to stay upright, at this point, like me.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a note guys - the OP here is from February this year - the thread was bumped today

D
Old 10-27-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hi there.... and welcome.

you've landed in a good spot.

you can get back to sobriety and back to building a better life.