Notices

Upcoming challenge

Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upcoming challenge

Hey All!

I'm very proud to say I have been sober for 6 months now which is great. I have not had a sip but I do have occasional cravings which don't last long. I must admit I have been using cannibis almost daily since I stopped drinking but only a bit at night, nothing more. (side note, it appears to have helped my psoriasis significantly -using a vape) That is besides the point. I have a yearly work conference coming up with travel to a major city for 4 days which usually consists of nightly drinking, NBA or NHL game, fun.....you know....the voice in my head is telling me it's OK to drink for those few days if that's all it is...... and the problem is that mentally I think I could and then go back to non drinking when I come home. I'm not looking for any type of validation here although it might appear that way since I'm posting this. Maybe I'm just looking for inspiration, I'm not sure. The one thing that is probably stopping me up to this point is the fact that I have this awesome streak going and how I think I would be dissapointed to start it over although I would be the only one dissapointed. After a lot of physical work yesterday while home alone I grabbed a can of beer from the fridge (same beers I bought 6 months ago still sitting there) but after 10 min I did not open it and put it back.......then never thought of it again but that did show me that the temptation was there but my streak is more important then a few beers.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why do you still have beer in your refrigerator?

It sounds to me that you are on the fence about quitting. I had to take alcohol out of the equation entirely, in any situation. As tempting as it would be to head out of town and indulge, I couldn't be assured of being able to stop when I came back home.

I'd start out with thinking about why you quit. What are you gaining? Do you want to stay sober, more than you want to get drunk?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're on a winning streak hate to see you lose it over a ball game. Make your own home run.

I'm from Australia, so don't really know if NBA or NHL are baseball or football, but know you'll get my meaning. You'll feel great if you you don't act on those thoughts, and it will further strengthen your foundations in maintaining sobriety. Build on the rock.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't done AA and I haven't done any formal step work, but I AM on the third step and struggling with it. And I will also reach six months of no alcohol on Tuesday.

Obviously I don't think working the 12 steps is a requirement for sobriety, but I do think that step one is non-negotiable. It doesn't sound to me like you have fully accepted that you can not drink. You're still hoping that you can.

There is a step zero that isn't written down anywhere but I suspect the majority of people do in preparation to take the rest of the steps. Step zero? Get rid of all the alcohol in your house! An alcoholic who believes she is an alcoholic and whole-heartedly wants to recover, does not keep beer in her fridge.

Do step zero. Then do step one.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

6 Months is fantastic Fancy!! Keep it going!!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ditch the beers- it's too easy to grab one impulsively, as you experienced yesterday.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

I pretty much have no doubt that if I lapsed, I would get right back on the horse and ride again. What keeps me from drinking is that it absolutely ruins my state of mind during and after. It takes days to get over just a day of drinking. There is just no point in it at all for me. Nonsense. That is why I don't pick up.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I stood a snowballs chance in hell of maintaining sobriety if I still had beer in my fridge. trying to get away from temptation and having it right in front of me is a recipe for disaster.
as for occasions where theres alcohol, I have 3 very important criteria for attending them.
1- the right motive
2- fit spiritual condition
3- an escape route; theres absolutely no event I cant walk away from if I get squirrely.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post
....the voice in my head is telling me it's OK to drink for those few days if that's all it is
Probably the same voice that is telling you smoking pot every night is recovery.

It's a work conference. So during the day, do work conference stuff. And after the "work" day, avoid the alcohol fueled adventures that attend most out-of-town business trips.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post

my head is telling me it's OK to drink for those few days if that's all it is...... and the problem is that mentally I think I could and then go back to non drinking when I come home.
Maybe so? But, if alcoholic?
I can assure you that after drinking you will think less of yourself.
For the true alcoholic knows deep inside that they should never drink.
Things (life) improved when I stopped fooling myself.
M-Bob
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

fancy19, It's been awhile but when I had to attend an out of town training or conference, in the evenings I'd either go to a meeting or hit the gym. It's fun going to a meeting where you are not from.

I discarded the booze from where I lived within a week of going to my first meeting. Alcohol is very patient--those beers in your fridge will wait for as long as it takes for you to drink them...days, weeks, months, even years.