Notices

First post - please be kind?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi SueDenim,

Thanks for the reminder that where we can all lament about the absence of the social aspect of drinking we often forget that there's far more to take into consideration.

I feel for you because I was beginning to experience some of the same symptoms you spoke of. It's concerning to think about but this:

I am worried that I am not going to live to enjoy the retirement I have worked and saved for. I have smelly and discoloured urine (sorry, TMI), a distended tummy, and sometimes (not always, but now and then) puffy ankles, and my appetite is virtually non-existent.
Far Far Far outweighs this:

However, after work, everyone goes out drinking pretty much every night, and it is so easy to join in, and so difficult to say no, as it alleviates the stress and helps to bond with the team, to make the daytimes a bit easier.
If you can't see your GP because he's a family friend you need to at least see a doctor. Please. What you're listing for ailments is not a good sign. I don't mean to scare you and it could end up being nothing but again, not good signs. Only a doctor can tell you but it's important for you to get there.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

That's great to hear you're hanging in there. I think a solid step would be to change those after work booze events, to your going to AA time. You will meet lots of great people there that will help you on your journey.
Also I know we all hate the "go see your doc" posts, but considering you have been beating the crap out of your body for close to 40 years with booze, it would be a very good idea to go in just for a simple checkup and bloodwork which can reveal a ton about your current state. You could also possibly not even mention the drinking issue to them if you don't want to, as in the UK they just seem to suggest to taper anyhow, or go to a different doc.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

SueDenim, your resolve is wonderful to see! Yes, come back with Day 7 under your belt! You CAN do this, and it sure sounds like you WILL! Your comrades here will always encourage and support you. I hope you keep posting.

Every day you abstain will give you a clearer head and more confidence for when you do go to a doc. In my not-a-doc opinion, the very best, most important thing any of us can do for our health is to NOT PICK UP.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging posts. I'm so pleased l found you lot when l did .

Since stopping drinking, my wee is back to normal and l am pretty certain that the tummy thing was wind/gas. The puffy ankles were only ever intermittent ( e.g. If I'd been on my feet for a while), and they've been fine all week.

I plan to get a full check up after a month's abstinence, when l will feel better able to talk about things to a doctor. By then, l should have an idea about whether l feel healthier or not. I realise that a month won't reverse 40 years of abuse; but if l can feel my health moving in the right direction it will encourage me to have the tests done.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Very glad to hear that you are taking positive steps, Sue. You have a lot of support here. Also glad that you're feeling better.
You don't have to figure everything out now. I can say that things become simpler when alcohol is taken out of the equation. Peace.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I just want to add one more thing...Beware on your thinking that just because you retired you will be able to just stop. Speaking from my own experience...not a lecture. But retirement gives you more time for drinking. It can be akin to falling off a cliff. I wish you well. I wish all of us well! Maybe you could use your insurance now before you retire to check into a rehab? This is all on you. No one can find the way to sobriety for you. If you check out my join date to SR you will see I have been a lapser several times. Still trying to find my way.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you. I won't be able to retire for at least a year, which is why I want to get off the booze beforehand.

I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, so don't think I need rehab. Also, I don't want to involve the medical profession just yet (unless things deteriorate, in which case I will, of course, get help). I plan to get a full checkup after a month or so of sobriety.

I went to the pub this evening, and had a lime and soda . I know a lot of you will disapprove; but I know how my mind works, and if I cut out all visits, I would start to resent it, and be more likely to go and drink. Just now, I have absolutely no desire to drink alcohol, so I knew I'd be safe, and I was.

If I start to think 'just one won't matter', or start to crave wine, I won't go; but for now, I prefer to feel in charge, and make the decision not to drink.

As I say, I will be vigilant, and make sure that I don't go unless I am feeling as I do now, which is absolutely certain that I don't want alcohol.

Sorry if this is frustrating to read. I promise I am not ignoring anyone's advice. It's just that I have to at least try doing this my own way. If it fails, I will try a different way.

I am taking vitamins, and have bought a book about eating well in recovery. I am making small but healthy meals, and eating regularly, as well as drinking rehydration drinks.

So, as promised, I have checked in with another sober evening! Tomorrow is Day 7.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by SueDenim View Post
Thanks for the encouraging posts. I'm so pleased l found you lot when l did .

Since stopping drinking, my wee is back to normal and l am pretty certain that the tummy thing was wind/gas. The puffy ankles were only ever intermittent ( e.g. If I'd been on my feet for a while), and they've been fine all week.

I plan to get a full check up after a month's abstinence, when l will feel better able to talk about things to a doctor. By then, l should have an idea about whether l feel healthier or not. I realise that a month won't reverse 40 years of abuse; but if l can feel my health moving in the right direction it will encourage me to have the tests done.
That's great to hear :-)

Now, please avoid the trap many of us have fallen into, thinking things weren't so bad after all and perhaps it would be OK to have just one small drink...

But seriously, thank you for letting us know that your physical health is now heading back in the right direction. I think you had a few of us worried for you.

Stay with us! :-)
Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Now, please avoid the trap many of us have fallen into, thinking things weren't so bad after all and perhaps it would be OK to have just one small drink...
I won't. I am very aware that this is a risk, and I won't be taking it. As soon as I think it would be ok to have just one (or if I start to crave any amount), I will bow out of the pub meetings.

Stay with us! :-)
I will, thank you .