Notices

Controlled drinking 26 months later

Old 02-14-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
You speak or spending sober time and of spending drunk time?

Two beers would constitute normal drinking, in my opinion; getting drunk, again in my opinion, would constitute abnormal/alcoholic drinking.

Getting drunk is unhealthy and unsafe for yourself and, if you dare to drive , to yourself and, potentially, to others.

Do you have children? Exhibiting drunkenness and alcoholic behaviors is setting a bad example for them.
I have no children and no intention of reproducing. Driving has never been an issue. i either don't go out or i have a place to sleep.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So, why are you here, vandelay? Has this level of drinking caused you problems? Did you have problems before this 26 month experiment?

If not, carry on. We don't have a problem with your drinking. If you don't either, then...?
Old 02-14-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So is the real question, am I an alcoholic? Or do you want to hear that you're not because of your perfect weeks? I guess I'd like to know what you're really concerned about. You are concerned, correct?

And hey, if this is working for you, go for it.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think the bottom line is i experience all the problems a far worse alcoholic would. Effects on family, friends, depression, anxiety. I feel that if i can get that number down to 'just under' what makes me an alcoholic i no longer need to feel guilty. I came here to see what other people who have gone through this and/or are going through this would think. Certainly not to brag about anything.

as the one post said there's always someone worse off than you. sometimes i feel guilty complaining to a group who are really suffering when i'm able to say yeah i got it down to 20 beers a week.

i just started reading these sites today and thought i'd post and get some feedback.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Once you are an alcoholic you cross an invisible line and you can never go back. It's that simple.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Now we're getting somewhere.

"Normal" drinkers don't have to come up with elaborate schemes to continue drinking. You can use Google to see how many drinks a day are recommended.

The bottom line is your drinking is affecting your life.

If drinking is a problem, stopping is the solution. There is no "Under" amount. You're there already.

By the way, the people in this thread have stopped drinking. The "suffering" is over for us. I hope you join us.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
All is Change

Denial has its place. What sort of future do you see for your self?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by vandelay187 View Post
Friday i can have 6 and be completely content. Tolerance comes back quick so then Saturday it's 8 and Sunday probably still 8.
Binge Drinking:

NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to 0.08 g/dL. This typically occurs after 4 drinks for women and 5 drinks for men—in about 2 hours.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as 5 or more alcoholic drinks for males or 4 or more alcoholic drinks for females on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past month.

You are in the right place if you decide to quit drinking.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Now we're getting somewhere.

"Normal" drinkers don't have to come up with elaborate schemes to continue drinking. You can use Google to see how many drinks a day are recommended.

The bottom line is your drinking is affecting your life.

If drinking is a problem, stopping is the solution. There is no "Under" amount. You're there already.

By the way, the people in this thread have stopped drinking. The "suffering" is over for us. I hope you join us.
I really appreciate all this feedback. and once more, i apologize if i offended anyone or came across as bragging. Thank you all. I'll revisit this periodically.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm not offended and I don't think you're bragging. Please keep coming back and posting.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noneever View Post
I'm not offended and I don't think you're bragging. Please keep coming back and posting.
I'm not offended either. To me you seem to be seeking something here, and I hope you find what you need.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Everyone walks their own path. Here if you need us.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't think it's offensive. If anything, it's a good reminder of how insidious addiction can be.

It also sounds like a lot of work, while still consuming unhealthy amounts.

The good thing is that deep down you seem to know perfectly well this is going nowhere. Of course, I could be wrong?
Old 02-14-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This post doesn't bother me. I look at it as "what not to do" as I can't see myself thinking about drinking all the time. Too anxiety provoking for me.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
2/2016

I tried so many schemes. So many ideas to moderate. It was exhausting. It is so much easier for me to just not drink.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

What HTown said.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
"Normal" drinkers don't have to come up with elaborate schemes to continue drinking.
I think that elaborate drinking schemes are a dead give-a-away. It just means one is trying to drink without getting into trouble, which of course means that they know very well they probably shouldn't be drinking.

For a long time, I didn't feel a need for schemes, but once it became plainly evident that I could not reliably predict how much I would drink once I started, or how I would behave if I drank, I would only purchase a small set amount per day, and only drank alone.

The problem with that approach is that if life throws you a curve ball you were not prepared for, and routines are upended, that discipline may easily go out the window. It did for me, at least. Madness, coupled with stupidity.

I don't know why I'm sharing, but I hope that the OP knows that this is always a distinct possibility.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vandelay187 View Post
I think the bottom line is i experience all the problems a far worse alcoholic would. Effects on family, friends, depression, anxiety. I feel that if i can get that number down to 'just under' what makes me an alcoholic i no longer need to feel guilty.
It isn't the amount you drink or how often you drink that determines whether you are an alcoholic or not. You say that it is causing serious problems in your life. You have, thus far, been unable to quit drinking. In addition, you stated that quitting would be easier than this elaborate drinking strategy you have devised.

Something just doesn't add up with all that. Do you have any desire to quit completely?

As far as your plan goes, I admit that I don't understand what is appealing about it. I was never one for moderation of anything. If I tried to control my drinking I couldn't enjoy it. What you describe would be a living nightmare for me.

Imagine new, positive activities that you could do if you freed yourself up from the chains of alcohol. The next family vacation could be somewhere that doesn't serve alcohol, and you wouldn't even care. You could spend that money on something that actually adds value to your life instead of pissing it away on booze.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
2/2016

And you do literally "**** it away" as OpioPhobe says
Old 02-14-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Changing

my friends that aren't alcoholics don't drink 20 beers a week or think about alcohol much at all. they are very different from me. and from what you seem to be saying as well. keep coming.