Notices

Whatever keeps you sober

Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whatever keeps you sober

Just wanted to share a few thoughts about sobriety. Some days are harder than others. Sometimes it feels like everything is going wrong (especially early on). At times it feels like the world is caving in on top of me. But at the end of the day, if I go to bed sober, it's a win.

Right?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely.
You can learn a lot from every sober day too.

D
Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thank god when I go to bed for keeping me sober and I pray when I wake up he leads me on my sober path for the day. One day at a time
Old 02-13-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't believe how much I have achieved in the 16 days I have been sober, even down to things like taking my dogs for a longer walk, going out and looking around and up at the sky, booking an overdue appointment, throwing old food from my fridge, sorting some paperwork, getting on the rowing machine, putting on a mud face pack, enjoying a long bath, reading a few more chapters of my book....

These small things mean I am achieving so much more than just getting up, taking dog for quick 10 min walk (as I was generally too hungover before to attempt much more!), going to work, coming home, doing the necessary domestic chores and drinking (in secret) until I went to bed. Repeat daily.

The pains in my stomach have now gone, my 20 year headache has disappeared, I look awake, my eyes are bright, I feel refreshed on waking and I look at my husband each morning and know I have made the right decision by stopping this ridiculous way of life.

I find some days tough but I agree with Steve. One day at a time...

Take care
Old 02-13-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes - I find going to bed at night, sober, and listening to my recovery audio or some sleep meditations on youtube a treat.

Getting up is also a treat, I was up on a recent camping trip before everyone and got to see the sunrise. I used to want to die most mornings!

Amazing how things have changed in a year.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It keeps getting better!!! Promise.

I have found REAL life. Ups and downs, and mostly ups- and the ability to deal with the bad more quickly, effectively and smoothly has come as I have worked my program.

Good job- keep going!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Bulldog! This thread is fantastic. Such good news! Keep it up y'all! You are finding the greatest gift of all. Your true selves. Not everyone manages to do that! As Shakespeare has Henry V say, "We happy few! We band of brothers!" Band of brothers and sisters actually but back in Henry's days women did not serve in the armed forces. Stayed at home and looked out of tower windows, letting their long hair flow down from balconies. Rather nice, but there were a lot fewer young lads available to climb up the hair. Did the damsels drink? Hope not! Wouldn't want them to fall off the balconies!

B.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi bluedog,

Thanks for this post, lots of positive stuff here

Some days it is enough to just have gotten through the day sober and even on the worst of worst days, if I don't drink, I will always have that to be grateful for.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
But at the end of the day, if I go to bed sober, it's a win.

thats the ticket !
Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes remaining sober is not sexy, but it works. Going to bed sober means waking up sober, and its all good. Right?
Old 02-13-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

The AV thinks that , me ..I'm whistling "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for..."
Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eggcup25 View Post
I can't believe how much I have achieved in the 16 days I have been sober, even down to things like taking my dogs for a longer walk, going out and looking around and up at the sky, booking an overdue appointment, throwing old food from my fridge, sorting some paperwork, getting on the rowing machine, putting on a mud face pack, enjoying a long bath, reading a few more chapters of my book....

These small things mean I am achieving so much more than just getting up, taking dog for quick 10 min walk (as I was generally too hungover before to attempt much more!), going to work, coming home, doing the necessary domestic chores and drinking (in secret) until I went to bed. Repeat daily.

The pains in my stomach have now gone, my 20 year headache has disappeared, I look awake, my eyes are bright, I feel refreshed on waking and I look at my husband each morning and know I have made the right decision by stopping this ridiculous way of life.

I find some days tough but I agree with Steve. One day at a time...

Take care
Love this. Keep it up!
Old 02-13-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Bluedog, some days it's just about getting through the day. It sounds like you're doing great.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

100%! I have found the harder I work on my recovery easier it is to not only handle the things that go wrong. I think a lot of people I think people are under the impression that life will be "perfect" if they are sober- life is just plain ol life- there is good days and bad days.. the difference with recovery is that we can handle them.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your worst day sober will always be better than your best day drunk!!!!