Notices

Tired and Blue

Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Tired and Blue

I'm not in a depression, but I haven't been getting enough sleep lately. My normal defenses are not keeping up with my sleepy mind right now. I'm about to get to bed, but I would appreciate any positive thoughts that anyone feels like sending my way.

Thanks family,
Jeff
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Before you fall to sleep tonight say something positive to yourself. Your words and thoughts are so powerful. Use them to help create the life you want and deserve. Sleep Well." - Anonymous

I hope you sleep peacefully tonight, SH!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sleeping well either Jeff. Toss and turn, wake, watch TV, read, go back to bed, toss and turn ad infinitum. I just try to relax my entire body which is so full of tension, and remind myself that I am not drinking, and all will be well. I try to make a conscious effort to feel the tension, then let it go. Tense your muscles deliberately then let go and feel them relax. Eventually I do fall to sleep, and if I don't I'm still sober. Sober insomniac beats a semi conscious drunk any day of the week.

Read somewhere the other day that John Donne was an insomniac and reckoned it was practice for when he went to heaven, and where you always want to be awake.

Sleep tight.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleepless nights are not bad if you don't have to work the next day. I have heard if you can't sleep get up ...watch tv or read in another room. That way you don't view your bed as torture. I read that somewhere. But what I do is take deep breaths counting to five. In.....Out. They have herbal supplements too like Valerian Root. I don't like taking them. I took Kava Kava when I quit my lifetime smoking habit...will have 4 yrs quit next October ..Halloween! I could ramble on...that will put you to sleep! Take care Sweaty. Hope you drop off soon.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get back into a regular sleep rhythm Jeff

some good common sense tips here:

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices
Old 02-08-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link Dee. Very useful tips. ZZZZZZZZZ
Old 02-08-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Thanks for the replies all. I slept through the night pretty well. I'd like about three more hours of "catch up" sleep, but I'm feeling steady enough to go to work. Hopefully, this will be a short day, and I can get home and go to bed early again.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Had a bout of this some time back. There are loads of relaxation sound files you can download or listen to via wifi on the net - loads free. My favourite was heavy rain, but there is anything from harp music to waves on the shore, distant thunder, birdsong - you name it. I found them pretty effective for getting me off to sleep. All the best.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

After I finished my cup of tea last night, I used a body scan meditation podcast that I have had good success with before. I definitely got to sleep right away, without all of the noisy "sleep deprivation" chatter in my head. My dog woke me up around 4:00 to take her out, but I fell right back asleep afterwards. I know this is just a temporary thing caused by obsessing over schedules and allowing my brain to trick me into feeling overwhelmed. No matter how tired and grumpy I wake up, I just remember that a year ago, I was neck deep in vodka and pills. Comparing the two, I feel energized and grateful that I can wake up without tremors and crushing waves of shame.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have a good attitude about the insomnia and I think that's important. It's hard to not worry when you don't sleep, but at the same time, it tends to makes sleep more elusive. I hope you continue to get some good sleep.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SweatyHands View Post
No matter how tired and grumpy I wake up, I just remember that a year ago, I was neck deep in vodka and pills. Comparing the two, I feel energized and grateful that I can wake up without tremors and crushing waves of shame.
Keep that thought, because its 100% true. Keep plowing through, the body has a tremendous ability to correct itself eventually (as long as we don't abuse it).
Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I carefully trudged through the day. I left my assumptions of how I am "supposed" to react when very tired behind. As a result, I made some great progress on a group research project at school, I witnessed my client beginning a huge positive course correction, I had an unexpected dinner and stimulating conversation with a very dear friend, I bathed and set up the coffee maker for tomorrow, and now I am in bed with my puppy, a fine selection of stuffed animals, a cup of tea, and a guided meditation cued up on the iPad. I see progress, and I see hope. And part of that hope is that everyone else who is not feeling strong enough to accomplish something finds the will to lean in to that fear and discomfort. None of us are what we are going to be.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Well, I'm in bed early again. I'm still fighting this exhaustion and fuzzy head. But I'm doing everything in my power to get rested until this funk passes me. Best of luck to anyone else struggling with sleep right now.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I'm 21 months clean and usually only sleep 5 hour straight max. Then I toss for 1 to 2 hours then get another 1 or 2.

Sometimes I have to get up after the 5 point. So then I feel tired all day.

But, I am sober and I can pull it off.

I make up sleep when I can. But, I try not to freak out about it.

Eventually it will work out..I pray about this all the time.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. I understand about the sleep thing.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All is Change

It may help to see that resting the body is good even though sleep may elude. Doing breath body awareness helps to still the mind. Sometimes during the day, when possible, sit comfortably and with closed eyes just be aware of the breath as it is, going in and going out, from moment to moment, coming back to it when the mind drifts. It helps to practice this mindfulness when awake so it becomes easier when it is time to lie down.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Two big changes: First, I cut out the remaining processed foods from my diet, along with fried foods. It was causing my blood pressure to spike 25-40 points, which I'm sure did not make it easy to sleep. And secondly, and most importantly, my wife is back in town. Just knowing that she is here in the bed beside me makes my mind and body relax.

So, here's to getting back on the sleep train!