Notices

Weirdness

Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weirdness

I'm on day 5 and my ankles have been twitching while I'm trying to sleep. Any insight into this? It's happened twice.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Could be restless leg syndrome. I have found that diet makes a difference for that. For me, I'm inclined to be vegetarian, I find eating some good fat free protein helps. Others no doubt have other ways of dealing with it,
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My nights were filled with "weirdness" the first couple of weeks. Strange dreams, wake up starving in the middle of the night, or just snap up out of bed for no reason.

It's much much better now. If it keeps happening I would go see a doctor though. Seeing your doctor can never hurt.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

I get twitches and leg cramps when I'm drinking too much coffee and/or not drinking enough water.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

That's where the term 'kicking' originated from, no? Agree with Snazzy - avoid caffeine, plenty of water and also some decent protein, I've found, helps. Seeds, lentils etc. Also, no gadgets (iphones, tablets etc) in bed; getting very tired or kept up by distractions and stimulation seems to make everything worse, tempting as it is. A good book and big glass of water.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had some twitches actually that have seemed to have gone now. I am almost 2 months in and they stopped last week. I had one in my thumb, random twitches in different places too. Mind you, I have had lots of coffee since I quit too. I had no idea that coffee contributed before! so interesting.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lack of iron in the diet is a well recognised cause. There is also some discussion (looked into this a couple of weeks ago) between the dopamine system, which struggles in early recovery and often causes low mood as a result). I won't offer borderline medical advice but it is worth looking up dopamine and recovery - your mate google. There are supplements out there which help - I take them and will testify to that.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Be careful, maybe detox type symptoms, Perhaps see a doctor.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I have been fairly caffeine free since I was hospitalized in 2001 with severe physical anxiety symptoms so caffeine is not an issue. I think some of you might be on track about nutrition and the dopamine response as well. I haven't been eating a lot the past month because I was getting my calories from alcohol I guess. I still can't eat a lot mainly from my anxiety issues. NO ankle twitches last night and I slept a lot better! Still feel kind of weird today. We'll see how today goes. Thanks for all the responses. I'll look into a few of these things in hopes of not having the problem anymore.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Phoenix, I went to the ER on Sunday and I'm medicated right now. I'm going to my regular DR. this week to get my BP medicine regulated and so I'll bring it up with her. I think I'm past the "hump." Dr.'s are not my favorite. They like to medicate rather than address the problem at the root. Luckily mine will use herbs and vitamins if I ask her to. The remedies usually work too.