Notices

Feeling everything

Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling everything

I'm heading towards 8 months sober . You know I've been described more then once as gruff. Don't usually show a bunch of emotions. I noticed lately that I can get a little teary eyed while watching a movie or if I hear a sad song. So yeah I do feel a more powerful sadness now that I'm sober. I also feel happiness to a point of being joyful. Joy is not an emotion I would have ever used in the past to describe how I feel.

So I guess sober I feel all emotions more. I'll blow by those sad days no problem to get to those happy ones. I'm almost positive this is what normal people feel like😊

I choose to focus only on the improvements, the happiness. And the good times.

I think we all should.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love this post. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Know exactly what you mean Matt. One reason I drank was to self-medicate and block a lot that I did not want to deal with sober. It watered down the depression, anger, and anxiety, made me "feel" less miserable. In reality, I think it does the opposite. We drink to make things go away but they are always there when we wake up the next day -- often worse then before, because we have less money, worse health, and we ruin relationships because we are drunk.

I would agree with you. I think we experience life more fully sober. Good and bad.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely prefer this way. Thanks for sharing that Matt

D
Old 02-09-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great post Matt! Congratulations on eight months
Old 02-09-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertTraveler View Post
Know exactly what you mean Matt. One reason I drank was to self-medicate and block a lot that I did not want to deal with sober. It watered down the depression, anger, and anxiety, made me "feel" less miserable. In reality, I think it does the opposite. We drink to make things go away but they are always there when we wake up the next day -- often worse then before, because we have less money, worse health, and we ruin relationships because we are drunk.

I would agree with you. I think we experience life more fully sober. Good and bad.
My point exactly. The good and the bad. It's our choice which one we focus on. I love feeling everything and learning to deal with it sober.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Thanks for the insight, Matt.

Was a bit of a shock to suddenly discover I had emotions, to say the east. Unlike you, I was (and am) suspicious and uncomfortable with similar instances when I've teared up, or more often got tight chested faced with stuff that once over didn't touch me. Takes guts to embrace feeling.

for recognising and embracing the potentially terrifying as it is - a symptom of 'recovery'.

Respect the wisdom and courage.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 months!

I think we drink to hide from the pain but we forget we are drinking away a lot of happy feelings too.

I am 8 months sober too! I am definitely feeling a lot more joy! It is pretty amazing. some days I really feel High on life. Like today! I also cried over things a few times last week. Just normal things to cry over not depression or anything like that. It is like my cold heart is melting. lol

keep up the great work.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matt, what a great post. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post and observation. Same goes for the comment of having a choice of what we focus on... The good or the bad.

As a drunk, I focused solely on the bad when I was sober. Well... Not as drunk is more like it.

When I was drunk, I might have been happier once in a while, but I always forgot why and it wasn't sustainable.

So basically, I was depressed 90% of the time. I still get depressed periodically, but it's soo much easier to change that mindset.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post / thread & congrats on your sober time!

I'm on day 6 sober but under a mountain of pain I am starting to glimpse some excellent fragments of that positivity / joy / serenity that was forgotten to me when I was boozing nightly. Can't wait for these feeling to become more pronounced.

Viva la sobriety.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=healthychoices;6327090]Great post / thread & congrats on your sober time!

I'm on day 6 sober but under a mountain of pain I am starting to glimpse some excellent fragments of that positivity / joy / serenity that was forgotten to me when I was boozing nightly. Can't wait for these feeling to become more pronounced.

Yes it will get much better. I drank almost every night for fourteen years. It will get better for you. Hang in there it's so worth it my friend.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mattq2;6327110]
Originally Posted by healthychoices View Post
Great post / thread & congrats on your sober time!

Yes it will get much better. I drank almost every night for fourteen years. It will get better for you. Hang in there it's so worth it my friend.
Thanks for the encouraging words Matt, I'm coming off about 20+ years of almost daily drinking / drugging too but I intend to see this sobriety through. Got any tips on how to get that first 8 months?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First I have a feeling your plan has to be specific to you. We are all so diffrent. For me I just had to grind it out every day. All of the discussion about having a plan is very real. I would literally plan out every hour of the day and not deviate from that no matter what. What time I would leave for work, what time I would eat, what I would do after I eat. Everything. It's not as regimented now but I would say that, for me ,just not drinking today was always the only goal. Soon the days turn to weeks and the weeks turn to months. You can do it
Old 02-10-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Matt! I was just watching a video about dogs and started crying? Wth?! That's not me but maybe since we're not numb we do experience these emotions and honestly it feels kind of good.

This may mean we will experience joy and happiness in a fuller capacity? I sure hope so.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
I'm heading towards 8 months sober . You know I've been described more then once as gruff. Don't usually show a bunch of emotions. I noticed lately that I can get a little teary eyed while watching a movie or if I hear a sad song. So yeah I do feel a more powerful sadness now that I'm sober. I also feel happiness to a point of being joyful. Joy is not an emotion I would have ever used in the past to describe how I feel.

So I guess sober I feel all emotions more. I'll blow by those sad days no problem to get to those happy ones. I'm almost positive this is what normal people feel like😊

I think we all should.
Funny I just posted something similar a moment ago about feeling happiness.

On a side note, I was watching a tv show and an emotion situation happened and I started tearing up. I'm like what the hell is this?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think we all should.
So that means you are....living life!

Feels good, yes?

ABW1
Old 02-10-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes I'm lgoing bing life. Some ups and some downs but way better than the drunken days
Old 02-10-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

First I have a feeling your plan has to be specific to you. We are all so diffrent. For me I just had to grind it out every day. All of the discussion about having a plan is very real. I would literally plan out every hour of the day and not deviate from that no matter what. What time I would leave for work, what time I would eat, what I would do after I eat. Everything. It's not as regimented now but I would say that, for me ,just not drinking today was always the only goal. Soon the days turn to weeks and the weeks turn to months. You can do it
This is a great link on plans Sissy

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee,
I don't know how to attach links😊