Notices

New here

Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

I decided I am tired of drinking and that party lifestyle. I started drinking heavily socially about 9 years ago. Going thru major life events in past 2 years, divorce, deaths, loss my job etc. i developed bad anxiety and depression and numbed myself with alcohol. but now, i was going out almost everynight to run from myself. I drink way way more out than at home and its dangerous. I decided to join here to get some support. I went to ER today because i am so drained physically and my anxiety is bad. Dr said for me to taper off with beer for a week or two and then stop. I had two beers just now and my anxiety is still high. I feel scared that my addiction took over me. Any advice is appreciated=) He also gave me Ativan which if i take one i will not drink even a beer on it.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. My advice is take it real easy for a while.

Try to do things that keep your mind off of drinking. Also, something that help me a lot was meditation and mindfullness. One year ago if you would have suggested meditating to me I would have laughed at you, but it has helped me tremendously.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you=) I think my anxiety is not withdrawal its just scary that it's gotten me to this point. I will try meditation
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you're aware that it's time to stop drinking. I think your anxiety will remain high until you stop drinking completely. There is a big difference between cutting down and stopping and beer is still alcohol. So, when you stop drinking, I expect that your anxiety will diminish and you will be better able to manage it. Many of us drank to relieve anxiety/depression and there are healthy ways to deal with those feelings. I'm glad you found us and I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChristinaM82 View Post
Thank you=) I think my anxiety is not withdrawal its just scary that it's gotten me to this point. I will try meditation
You're welcome.

At first drinking alleviated stress and anxiety for me, but over the years it slowly but surely increased both. Honestly to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. Quitting was my only option. It's amazing what alcohol does to your brain.

Believe me quitting will dramatically help both but it will take time.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you as well. I am glad to be on here. I am just scared of withdrawals, ive always been just a beer drinker but still...DR recommended me to join an online support group. I am glad I did=)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you joined, too.
I know all about the anxiety. I had it so bad during my heavy drinking period I actually hid in a closet.
So many days I had wracked with fear and anxiety. I drank for a long time and it was almost terror. Fear of drinking and fear of stopping.
I know how you feel. You're not alone.
When the drinking stopped so did the anxiety, except what 'normal' people feel in life, the natural anxiety of life.
Glad to have you are here, and yes, don't drink on the Ativan.
Hope to hear more from you on your journey.
Best to you.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Christina. I'm glad you've made the decision to get free of it. Posting here really helped me, especially in the early days after quitting. Knowing everyone understands & sympathizes really helps. No one in my life could understand what I was going through. Welcome!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Maybe ask your dr why you can't just take an Ativan taper? If the goal is to quit, and Ativan taken properly should minimize detox symptoms, why keep drinking? I've just never heard of this and combining the 2 can be deadly.