Notices

Newly sober, Should I go to this 3 day Rock Music Festival?

Old 02-07-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober, Should I go to this 3 day Rock Music Festival?

A couple I met once at a gig in London won a competition which included 6 free tickets and accomodation at a discounted rate in an on-site caravan/static home for 6, for a music festival which I have been to before. they had an extra ticket and offered me it. (I just had to pay my share for the caravan) I have been in touch with them on Facebook since and we have many mutual friends, the festival is one month away and I'm unsure whether to go as I am very newly sober and it seems like it will be difficult not to drink if I'm hanging out with 2 people I've met once, and 4 people I've never met, and there is a very pronounced drinking culture here in the UK. Some of my favourite bands are playing this festival and I probably won't get a chance to see at least one of them again as this is their first (and probably last) UK show since their heyday, 25 years ago. The sub-genre of rock music, which this festival is mainly about, glamourizes drinking and partying. Even though most of the people going will be older and more sensible, there is a significant new generation of younger fans, including ourselves. and I know that most people there, who are under 35 will be partying to excess every night.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I wouldn't go. It took me many months before I felt comfortable around alcohol.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would go- in the opposite direction as far as my paranoid little mind would take me. Seeing a band - the chance of a lifetime?
A sober, peaceful life. A LIFE. Being alive is far more important to me.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That would be a big no for me - 3 days, no exit possible, surrounded by drinkers, druggers and newly sober yourself?

recipe for relapse.

D
Old 02-07-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I've seen enough of these posts and their eventual outcome (read failure) to be rudely blunt in answer to your question...

...you are out of your gourd if you go.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No. Guard your sobriety.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I'm not gonna go, I just wanted to hear that I'd be stupid to go from someone else!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it wouldn't be a stupid decision to go.
but for an alcoholic or someone with a drinking problem who is pretty newly sober
quite insane.
glad ya decided to stay away. prolly be able to see video of it after.

I was a few years sober before I went to a concert and even then I went with other sober people. pretty darn good time,too.
been to a few concerts since and they've been better than any i went to when i was smoking dope and drinkin.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't go just now.

You do slowly ease in to social settings where there is drinking involved, but you start with something brief, where you can exit easily if you feel pressure or temptation.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd give it a miss this time.

If yiu do decide to go next time around, why not contact the organisers and see if they have volunteer tickets (often at a reduced rate because you'll be doing some work). The beauty of this isn't so much the money saving (although that's good), but that we can get to feel involved and part of things without taking a drink or drug (which was how we got in the zone at these things before). I've found that volunteering at fun events has helped me enjoy some things in a completely different way than before. Other things I've had to accept are just plain shoddy without the soft focus of booze to change my perspective on them.

Anyway. Good call not putting your sobriety at risk this time around.

PS Could you just ride out and join them for half a day to see that one band you don't want to miss. If you're not drinking you'll be able to drive home (or navigate public transport, such as it is).
Old 02-07-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I probably wouldn't go, there's too much distraction from the sober path if you feel vulnerable. For someone really strong in their sobriety it would be fine. TBH the all night partying would get on my nerves, especially as I'm older now and not 21 any more, or if you are young you might want to join in , if you can handle the whole thing sober?!?!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HI MetalHead. I am OneWhoThoughtSheCouldHandleIt. Then after being around all my drinking buddies I did the Well One Won't Hurt. I was right back in it. Check out my join date. I have been sucked back into it for at least 5 years. I am proud to count sober days but I can't even tell you of my decent back into The Land of No Return. Finally fought my way back out and ran back to SR WHICH I won't leave again. I even stayed out of all the Super Bowl parties...I finally know I am up to no good around these situations. Day 9 for me in 20 minutes. Glad you posted...
Old 02-07-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wouldn't go. If it was just one show,...go to it,..see the band, and then take off, I'd probably say different, but for those festivals, there's a pathetic amount of emphasis on drinking and drugs, and it's just too easy to give in, or even be involuntarily dosed.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am reminded of (sort of) the other side of this coin here - when I was drinking.

I left two concerts some years ago, at the interval because despite being huge fans of the performers in question I couldn't wait to get home for a drink. I'm embarrassed by this admission now. The power of booze.

Good decision!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll have to go against the flow here. I was in the exact same situation as you nearly 6 months ago. Early sobriety, same kind of music, festival started on my day 3.

I decided that if recovery was going to work I d have to be able to do the things I like, and that missing a band I had been waiting 20 yrs to see would make me angry and put a negative take on something I m doing to live a more positive life. I went, didn't drink, first hour or so was weird but that was it and I had a great time.

If you want to go there for the love of music then going through this sober will enhance your recovery and give you more confidence for what s coming ahead. If you are planning on going for partying then I think it s a bad idea, but that s not what it sounds like.

End of the day you control whether you drink or not, regardless of what s going on around you.

P
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wouldn't do it, not at this point.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You made a good decision 80's....I certainly wouldn't go.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Make a playlist on iTunes of the music you'd hear at the festival and listen to it at home during those 3 days instead. I'm new to this myself, but I would think it would be difficult to stay focused on sobriety in that environment.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You're very wise, Metal.

When I was about 6 months sober, I drove down to Atlanta for a weekend of car racing.

Once I got there, I had to turn around and leave because the alcohol and pot were playing a head game with me.

They are still bigger than me today.

Glad you're with us, amigo.