Notices

Hello

Old 02-07-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello to everyone,

I am trying to quit drinking. This is day 4 for me.

I became overwhelmed and thought I'd have one beer to relax.

One month later I was drinking every day.

This has never happened to me before.

Yesterday on day 3 it was everything I could do to not have another. What an awful feeling.

I don't wish to continue this pattern. Trouble is, it WILL calm me down. But not without too high a price.

I've looked up information on smart recovery.

Thank you for reading.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You came to the right place Melissa. I'm only a little over a month sober, myself, but I can tell you the first couple weeks are very hard. This is a good place to start out and helps me stay sober. Just keep saying NO to the drink and try to get on this site for support if you are getting a craving! There also a lot of good resources regarding things to do sober to fill up the hrs and how to formulate a game plan for effective sobriety!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Mel and thankyou for sharing. You show courage to introduce yourself to the world. I do SMART. Also AA and anything else that suits. SR is a safe community to share in. There is a 'Class of Feb , 2017' thread in newcomer's if you care to join.
My thoughts and support go to you. PJ (:-)>
Old 02-07-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I should add that candy and ice cream really helps in the beginning, at least it did for me. Not healthy, but hey, it helps.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both. I need to replace the alcohol with positive coping mechanisms, so I appreciate the time and effort you put into supporting people here.

I honestly didn't know where else to turn.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there Melissa, you are doing the right thing by joining SR and not drinking further. In one way or another we've all been in your shoes. Key thing is to not drink during this painful time and keep exchanging the drinking with positive activities. Take time to be kind to yourself too...the longer I've had in sobriety the more I've learned to be nice to myself, much like you would to a family member or close friend.

Also, not sure if you have any underlying anxiety or depression but I definitely do and getting that under control has helped tremendously in my efforts to stop drinking and maintain sobriety.

Hang in there!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Melissa, Day 4 is fantastic! I'm glad you're getting through this, and I hope that SMART works well for you. You will find lots of support here.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you, Melissa. I'm glad you realized you were in trouble. I was a very slow learner & it cost me. This is a wonderful place for friendship & encouragement. Congrats on your 4 sober days. Be proud of yourself.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome Melissa and congrats on day four of sobriety. This is a great place with a lot of hard earned wisdom and advice available for the asking. Just knowing that you are not alone in your journey will be huge for you. It will get a little easier day by day.

You can do this!
Old 02-07-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2/2016

Welcome to SR. I was an everyday drinker after work. I have been sober almost a year. I feel so very good. Best thing I ever did, stopping drinking. Best of luck to you.