Notices

Going to recovery

Old 02-07-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to recovery

Hello to everyone,

I am about to enter a rehab/detox facility tomorrow. I wish I had found this forum sooner. I am an alcoholic that has drank for the past 4 years. I also have pre-existing high blood pressure and requested to have a hospitalized detox.

I am very excited to be sober to become a better husband and hopeful future father.

My question is to you who have been in residential treatment:

What has helped you through this? Books? Quarters for payphones? MP3 players to get you through the night?

I will be in residential treatment for at least 28 days.

Thanks to all that respond!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI, brokentree. Sorry that I can't speak to it as I haven't had the experience, but wanted to wish you well. Please let us know how it goes. Peace.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will as soon as I get out. It is at least a 28 day inpatient program where I will not have access to internet. I can't tell you how relieved I am to have this coming. My wife has known that I decided to do this, but I just told my parents last night. They were very supportive so I know I have a strong support system.

I cannot wait to get sober.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Keep up the good fight. You will find what works. Be open to any advice- but make up your own mind. My thoughts and support sent to you. In patient stuff is hard work- if you do it so. There is no luck- I hope you succeed. PJ.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have no experience of inpatient rehab/rehab either but I wish you all the best
Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on deciding to go to inpatient rehab massive step.
I spent 3 weeks in rehab in Nov last year and it was amazing.
Take some books with you (although you will probably get lots of reading material about addiction/ mental health whilst there).
Take your iPod or MP3 player.
Take exercise wear, I started walking daily and it helped so much.
I got my hubby to bring me some cheese and crackers for snacks (where I went they served dinner at 5pm so by 8-9pm I was peckish).
Take an open mind and be willing to actively join in on group sessions etc. you only get out of it what you put in.
I am 90 days sober today before I went in I couldn't string 2 days together. Best thing I could have done for me and my sobriety.
Enjoy the time as the next month is solely about you and your recovery
Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am excited for you brokentree! A brand new start. Hope you check back in with us upon your return.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

GL Brokentree. SR is a good place to start/really helps
Old 02-07-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share but best wishes brokentree

D
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
All is Change

I have though a bit about this. A good pair of ear plugs. The snoring... Otherwise I went with bare necessities. Perhaps a pair of ordinary shoes and a pair of runners.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Packing right now... it's a little hard because I know I'll be away from my wife for the longest time since college and leaving my dogs for a while. I look at it as bittersweet since I know I will return an improved person. Really hoping they let me keep my kindle!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's a huge step Brokentree.

The best of luck to you.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you are doing this. Of course, the time away will be hard, but you will be able to get a good start on your recovery. Hopefully you will learn tools to help your recovery.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
All is Change

Keeping your Kindle.. that reminds me of a funny moment. Once I went to rehab (yes, maybe 5 times). I had forgotten what I had in my bag. At check in they had a look and poured out a pile of condoms. I looked in surprised embarrasment and they in sad pity. 'You won't be needing these.' and confiscated them. Moral..if there is one.. you might want to think about leaving security blankets at home.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Brokentree - I'm so glad you found SR. When you get home I hope you'll continue to post here - it will really help you stay strong and committed.

Congratulations on making the big decision to reclaim your life. I love your positive & enthusiastic attitude - it will serve you well. Please do stay in touch - we'll be rooting for you.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Find out what they allow you to bring. A lot of places only allow limited, if any, access to electronics.

Make sure you know what restrictions they have on toiletries.

If allowed bring your own pillow and comforter. Comfy clothes. Exercise clothes if they have the facilities.

But definitely make sure you know the rules. You could have half your stuff stored for you but not allowed to use.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i think the best thing that can help you get through it is going in with an open mind and be willing to learn what you will be taught-learning the tools for recovery and living life on lifes terms.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am so ready with an open mind. Right now, I'm packed and ready to go. I might not be sober at this moment, but I am ready to live my life in sobriety. I cannot wait to smell the flowers and breathe the cool air without being sober.

I honestly wish I could have stopped on my own like I intended to. I tried, and tried, and tried, and tried. Nothing worked. I am submitting myself to abstinence and the beautiful life without alcohol.

I will post if I can tomorrow morning. If not, I will try to post on my first day out. I have the will, but will need the way. I appreciate all who post.

Thank you. I cannot thank you enough. My wife, cannot thank you enough..

Thank you everyone,
Old 02-07-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Best thing I ever did. Wish I'd done it sooner. Good luck and best wishes
Old 02-07-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have not been to rehab, but have heard really positive things from many who have. Just wanted to wish you luck, and look forward to hearing about your journey if you are able to post, or seeing you back on here in 28 days!