Notices

Day 8 - Made it through the weekend...

Old 02-06-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 - Made it through the weekend...

Well, usually weekends have been my binging time...and I tend to define the weekend as Thursday night to Monday morning...but I made it through this one without a drop. So that makes 8 days.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good - tired much of the time but sleeping better and started exercising again a few days ago. I'm thinking of starting a weekend meeting to get in the routine and not lose focus...

One question: I would imagine that after some period of time, people can just go about their days not really thinking about booze, counting days, etc. - in other words, it just becomes more or less "automatic" - how long has this taken my friends here?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was just writing to someone else that I needed to have a conscious focus on recovery for a while - certainly for the initial months, if not the whole first year.

It may seem monumental to newly sober peeps but if you're anything like me you drank for years...so it's not that bad of a deal to have to be a little mindful for a while?

It gets easier too - the first 30 were the hardest for me

D
Old 02-06-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are many things that I have to 'focus ' on daily. Eating right, exercise, parenting, finances, and last but not least recovery. I assume that recovery, and the disciplines and conscious actions that support, will become more natural to me. But they will always remain there.....I won't be able to take them for granted.

The number one reason I hear people with any amount of sobriety relapse is they stopped working the program that got them sober. I drank for a good part of my life.....30 years. I suppose I'll have to recover for the remainder.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was just writing to someone else that I needed to have a conscious focus on recovery for a while - certainly for the initial months, if not the whole first year.

It may seem monumental to newly sober peeps but if you're anything like me you drank for years...so it's not that bad of a deal to have to be a little mindful for a while?

It gets easier too - the first 30 were the hardest for me

D
Great - thanks Dee. Yes, being mindful for an extended period of time certainly won't hurt after 20 years of not being mindful.

Also, I was curious and have been trying to get some insight on this: when we have spent so much time associating alcohol with pleasure, when does the feeling of pleasure start to come back without alcohol? In other words, when did the natural highs of life return because right now, it is kind of daunting to think that I am losing what used to be a source of pleasure (and of course pain and chaos too) in the past...?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

It took me time just to 'see' that the natural highs of life are many and varied. When with time, I was more able to not focus on hearing the AV screaming about missing one single pleasure , I started noticing all the others. One was removed (along with the inseparable chaos and pain) , and all the others rediscovered.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I'm am only about seven months. Life is pretty normal for me now. I don't think about drinking much anymore. I do think about my sobriety everyday. I pretty sure that will be for a long time to come. Life is good and pieceful now. it will be for you too if you give it time and work at it😊
Old 02-06-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took a few months for me SoberD - you really have to have faith that it will happen - it does

D
Old 02-06-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

One new pleasure that never gets old , is quietly contemplating the fact that the chaos and pain has been put to an end , and enjoying not missing it.
It definitely gets better, keep truckin
Old 02-06-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
It took me time just to 'see' that the natural highs of life are many and varied. When with time, I was more able to not focus on hearing the AV screaming about missing one single pleasure , I started noticing all the others. One was removed (along with the inseparable chaos and pain) , and all the others rediscovered.
Great insight - thank you dwtbd. I really believe in the AV concept and it makes perfect sense that when the AV quiets down, I can start focusing on other sources of happiness.

I think that I am probably more of a "I will not drink today" kind of guy than a "I will never drink again" kind of guy in terms of approach/philosophy. Once those days keep piling up, perhaps the thought of "I will never drink again" might just seem natural.

Whatever gets me to the end result of a stable sober life is fine by me...
Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sober D, great job on 8 days, and getting through the weekend.

I was counting days for about the first 90 days, then started counting months, I hit one year on January 1st, and now I am in a rhythm and feel good about life,many sobriety.

My drinking took place ,mainly at home, so I needed to change my routines im the evenings. I spent lots of time with my kids, going for walks, reading, baths... I fell into a new pattern, and it is rare that drinking crosses my mind now.

You should check in with us on the 24 hour thread, it is a great place to make the commitment to remain sober for the next 24 hours, and also to meet some great people.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It took a few months for me SoberD - you really have to have faith that it will happen - it does

D
Thanks Dee - patience has never been one of my virtues but optimism and hope always have been. Life will never be perfect just because I quit drinking...but at least I will be almost certain that I won't destroy myself in the process. I'm going to keep the faith...
Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Sober D, great job on 8 days, and getting through the weekend.

I was counting days for about the first 90 days, then started counting months, I hit one year on January 1st, and now I am in a rhythm and feel good about life,many sobriety.

My drinking took place ,mainly at home, so I needed to change my routines im the evenings. I spent lots of time with my kids, going for walks, reading, baths... I fell into a new pattern, and it is rare that drinking crosses my mind now.

You should check in with us on the 24 hour thread, it is a great place to make the commitment to remain sober for the next 24 hours, and also to meet some great people.
Thanks Delilah - good advice and I will check out the 24 hour thread. I wish I could fall asleep and just wake up a Day 90 to skip all of this counting
Old 02-07-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi SoberD, nice job on the 8 days.

It's the weekends that are always my undoing. Absolutely everything from my Thursday to Monday revolves around drinking. I go to the store on Thursday and drop over $50 on cider, beer and spirits which acts as my supply for either before, or after I have gone out to a pub or bar drinking. I can't be at home all day and not be drinking, and when I do come home (even if it's late at night), I need to continue drinking until I completely black out.

It always legitimately shocks me to hear acquaintances or work colleagues who seem perfectly happy and contented with life, casually remark about how they haven't had a drink in 2, 3 or 6 months. I honestly can't understand how people are doing that. What are they doing with their time??? How are they not completely bored or miserable??? Obviously I'm too embarrassed to ever ask these questions, I usually at that point repeat some lie about how little I've drunk over the recent period.

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Keep going!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pete6256 View Post
Hi SoberD, nice job on the 8 days.

It's the weekends that are always my undoing. Absolutely everything from my Thursday to Monday revolves around drinking. I go to the store on Thursday and drop over $50 on cider, beer and spirits which acts as my supply for either before, or after I have gone out to a pub or bar drinking. I can't be at home all day and not be drinking, and when I do come home (even if it's late at night), I need to continue drinking until I completely black out.

It always legitimately shocks me to hear acquaintances or work colleagues who seem perfectly happy and contented with life, casually remark about how they haven't had a drink in 2, 3 or 6 months. I honestly can't understand how people are doing that. What are they doing with their time??? How are they not completely bored or miserable??? Obviously I'm too embarrassed to ever ask these questions, I usually at that point repeat some lie about how little I've drunk over the recent period.

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Keep going!
Thanks Pete - yes, I totally understand the feeling. I want to be like them too but it is so foreign to me (right now) that some people (probably most people) just don't care in the slightest about drinking...it doesn't ever occur to them but for me, it's a consistent preoccupation. Anyway, Day 9 was a success...
Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all! I have just joined an AA group, thoughts of joining scared me to death, but I went and was totally overwhelmed with how kind supportive and how large the group was, considering it was a 1pm meeting! I havnt stopped drinking yet but have managed 4 out of 7 days with no alcohol. Just gonna keep going this way and join up more no alcohol days and see how it goes. xxxx
Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by SoberD View Post
One question: I would imagine that after some period of time, people can just go about their days not really thinking about booze, counting days, etc. - in other words, it just becomes more or less "automatic" - how long has this taken my friends here?

Thanks!
once i was regularly going to aa meetings the desire to drink was removed

Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 10 - strong headaches

Anyone have this experience in early recovery? I'll take it as a sign that something is "healing" but in the meantime, these headaches seem to be pretty persistent...