Notices

Hello

Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

done with drinking. Tired of having it have a hold on me. Hope to meet others on the same path.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family, WW. You've come to a great place for support and useful information. SR has helped me stay sober for over seven years now. I hope we can do the same for you.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Waterwitch; very glad that you found this very supportive, understanding, and encouraging forum!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I want to be done with this. Tomorrow is day 1
Old 02-06-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Waterwitch View Post
Thanks. I want to be done with this. Tomorrow is day 1

Stay close; we are here for you.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What's the best way to take advantage of this site? And should I be scared about stopping drinking?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I once saw a Night Gallery show or maybe it was a movie. It was all these people that were really old in a nursing home. They went outside and there was a huge playground. Poof they were all young again ...Agile ...able to run and play...second chance at life. Not sure why I just thought of that other than it is like waking up when you finally have had enough and decide on an action plan to quit. GET OFF THE MERRY GO ROUND once and for all. Hope to hear from you tomorrow WaterWitch. We care.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go back to the very top ...see The Forums. Click there and there is a huge menu of all the areas with all kinds of info for all kinds of addictions.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

See my second post on how to get around..
Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Waterwitch. I know just how you feel - fed up & ready for a new way of living. What had once been fun became a necessity for me - and I was putting myself in danger a lot of the time. Being numb and foggy isn't living. We're glad you're here with us.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. X
Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi, Waterwitch! Welcome here to SR, lots of great stuff here to help to stop drinking.

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
I once saw a Night Gallery show or maybe it was a movie. It was all these people that were really old in a nursing home. They went outside and there was a huge playground. Poof they were all young again ...Agile ...able to run and play...second chance at life.
There was a famous Twilight Zone episode like this. It was even remade by Steven Spielberg as part of that late 80s Twilight Zone movie. Very poignant.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

YEAH that was it!!! I got my show/movie mixed up. Imagine that! Thanks.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Waterwitch,

It is always scary to start anything new...sobriety is new for me and for many people here. I think that scarier is what might happen if I continue my drinking habits. As long as you're not detoxing without medical supervision (if you drink heavily) then you've got lots of advice and support here. I'm new to all of this and still learning to navigate the site. ��
Old 02-07-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! The best way to take advantage of this site is to read all the general stuff and the links to articles in my opinion. There is a huge amount of information available. Secondly posting and reading here is, in my experience, best as part of an overall plan - there are lots of ideas for making a plan here too. Personally I also use the forum as only one part of my approach - the other arm being attending AA meetings, though not everyone does that here of course. I also make sure I post here every single day.

As to the second part of your post - should you be afraid to stop - I'm not sure if you mean if you should be anxious in the short or medium term. If you mean in the short term then that depends on how much you are drinking. I stopped off my own bat and put up with unpleasant though not dangerous withdrawal symptoms for three or four days. That was coming down from a bit less than couple of bottles of wine a night. If in doubt see your doctor who will I am sure be willing to help you stop safely.

As to the longer term - it depends if you fear life in the 'raw'. Some, perhaps many, drinkers do and that is one reason we drink I suspect. Learning to life without too much fear is an important goal in sobriety I am only just beginning to realise myself.

All the very best!

What's the best way to take advantage of this site? And should I be scared about stopping drinking?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Best way to take advantage of this site = browse everything you can, keep posting, ask questions, and after a while/when you feel up to it, offer some wisdom or helpful suggestions to others based on what you've learned!

Should you be scared: it might be scary at first, but that fades with time as you come out of the darkness and see what life can be without the influence of alcohol.

Glad you're here!

ABW1