Notices

No interest in life

Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Well, yes, it is definitely dopamine. But you yourself said you saw him as someone who met some of the needs you didn't get met from your dad. So, there is also very much some childhood issues that need to be explored/addressed and the best person to do that well and safely for you is a good therapist. In my mind there was a reason you ever became addicted to alcohol in the first place. Then he came along to replace the alcohol? That may be partly true. But he also replaced something that was missing from your father. Your dopamine issues may have actually started in childhood. It's all connected and so many things affect our dopamine production and levels. Diet, exercise, adequate sleep,yes. But also stress, abuse, lack of emotional, mental, and spiritual needs being met.

It may also be a serotonin and nor-epinephrine issue.
Good post,teatreeoil
Old 02-10-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I need to force myself to get up and do something.
It doesn't have to be anything big. Start small. Last May when I quit I wanted to find things to do with my hands. When I was a lot younger I learned how to knit. So, for the hell of it, I picked up 7 skeins of yarn and some knitting needles. I cast on a bunch of stitches and just started knitting. I put on tv shows or music and had at it. I had no idea what I was making, I just kept knitting. If you don't know how to knit there are a ton of videos on you tube that will teach you. If I wasn't working or watching a movie I knit. It became a time of meditation and reflection for me. It took me about 7 months to finish but it became my sobriety scarf. There were some dropped stitches in there, it wasn't perfect, but that made it even better because neither am I.

What interests you? Are you a craft kind of person?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I have yarn and crochet hooks.. I never learned to do anything beyond the basic yarn-over stitch. I always think I should pull that stuff out and play with it. While binge watching something funny.

There was a time early in sobriety where I wanted to do EVERYTHING.

I did have my first really good cry in a while last night. I don't mean shedding a couple tears either. It felt pretty good. I've been holding on to something I needed to let go of.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Btw, the herbal supplement I've been taking doesn't seem to be doing much, but I wonder if you have to take it daily to notice full effects..
Old 02-10-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I need to force myself to get up and do something.
most definatly.
nothing changes if nothing changes.
sittin in the garage all day wont make me a car.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

More engagement with your local 3D physical reality (activities, people, etc) is what I would recommend, Brenda. Spend less time online and focus on exploring opportunities around you. You often bring up interesting things you could engage in but from your posts it appears like you stop at the state of thinking about them and discussing them. I had a very hard time letting go of being too fixated on the computer and the virtual worlds (including online interactions and often avoiding real people) in sobriety and I did not know the true benefits until I made lots of efforts. Being primarily focused on and actively engaged in the real world has provided more good to me than anything else in sobriety. Not trying to substitute these with the internet. Again, you may not truly feel the effects until you have done it for a while but then it can become very rewarding effortlessly, your priorities and focus might change, and with that your mood and motivation.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Trying to clean up my messy room, and do some self care.. Rooms not totally done, but better.. just colored my hair and shaved my legs, those were well over due lol I need to go out and buy new jeans