Notices

Empowered

Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Maria

Empowered

Hi All,
I posted my first post yesterday..was already feeling quite a bit of confidence and peace that " this is it" and I can and will never pick up drink again, but the welcome, support, understanding and experiences expressed to me by folks here since that post has catapulted me to a new level of strength--I am going to really do this!

I know I am "only" on day 11..but this is huge for me. I am doing the work, reading, learning, reflecting reconstructing and reframing what has been a very warped perspective of what "benefits" I ever got from daily drinking (um..NONE-it was destroying me)...and what it means to intend to never drink again-its not about missing out, resisting any urge/trigger, grief or despair. On the contrary, it is about freedom. I no longer have to drink the poison. I have the power and the choice to say so to the addiction and the poison.

I know it is not going to be easy-I have a lot of work to do and insecurities to overcome.. but I also know that I am capable and responsible.

Thank you all again. I plan to stick close to this site.
Maria
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, well done. Have you thought of AA or SMART meetings? Day to day support is a must for me.
Prsyers
Old 02-06-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also agree, thank you for this post. I see you mention the warped perspective of the benefits you derived from drinking. Realizing my perspective was warped is what made me realize I have a problem as well. Best of luck, and keep pushing forward.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Well done, Maria. It truly does sound like this is 'it' for you! Addiction is grounded in lies and fear. Consuming alcohol holds nothing for us any longer, despite all the lies we can tell ourselves. It keeps us imprisoned for that momentary thrill and fearful of our future in its absence. It also keeps us unsure of our ability to make this choice and to keep to it under any circumstance that might happen.

It is truth, you don't have to drink anymore. You, by choosing to be unconditionally sober, are free to be the real you. There is victory in this for you, Maria, a triumph of your spirit.

You don't need anything more to do this. By empowering yourself like this, you have released your internal strength in a way that makes you invincible. Awesome!

I hope you keep posting and inspiring others with your success. Onward!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's the spirit. Good job.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post, Maria, and congrats

I also felt very empowered even early on in sobriety, it's a great feeling to overcome the addiction and experience improvements on a daily basis even when life throws us challenges. If you enjoy the feeling of relaxed confidence, being empowered, responsible, self-disciplined and you are interested in going to recovery meetings, I would also highly recommend SMART if you have access to it. Even just reading the literature can be helpful and it contains things that can be applied to many areas of life that require self-directedness, not just sobriety.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Maria

Thanks All for replies,
In regard to the inquiries, I have tried a few AA meetings face to face in my area but I have not felt like the ones attended were a good fit for me so far....maybe once I get a bit more confidence in my new sobriety this will change. Last night I read the book "Mommy doesn't Drink Here Anymore"--the author's sobriety is clearly linked with AA, daily meetings, her sponsor, and close connections with others going through what she was/is.

I have purchased and used the SMART Recovery tools/packet and have been becoming more active with Women for Sobriety in the past weeks. I really feel like I am really going to benefit from being active here at Soberrecovery. So thanks again,
Maria