Notices

Outpatient Rehab questions

Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Outpatient Rehab questions

I'm considering this route. I have realized I drink because I am a full fledged alcoholic. I have health insurance through my employer that has some coverage for addiction issues. My questions are:

1) How does outpatient rehab work? Is it scheduled therapy sessions?

2) If I use my company health insurance will they be able to see what I'm using it for?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Outpatient rehab usually involves scheduled meetings several days a week for a few hours. Counseling, meetings, classes, discussions, lots of different things take place while you are there. Each facility is different so you'll have to check with your local ones to see what each one offers.

You'd need to speak with your employer about the insurance thing. Your healthcare information is confidential and protected by law.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My employer is the one who facilitates the insurance coverage. I work at an insurance agency. I know when health insurance is written the premiums take into consideration claims experience. I just don't know if it specifies which policyholder uses what services.

I'm checking into a facility to see what they offer. They take my insurance. I love my job and don't want to jeopordize it.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would think that you could ask your HR department that question, possibly even anonymously. Unless you have something specific written into your contract about alcohol you should be fine.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nothing written about alcohol. Thank you Scott.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
1) How does outpatient rehab work? Is it scheduled therapy sessions?
Outpatient is generally like Scott says. Some will also recommend or require AA attendance in addition, or may allow some to meet on site.

I think it's better than inpatient, since it allows you to still navigate life without being in a sterile environment. With in-patient, you are only really "safe" within the walls, until you get out. It's not terribly realistic.

2) If I use my company health insurance will they be able to see what I'm using it for?
Generally, they should not see your individual claims history, but if your employer self-insures, they may have more information available to them. If it's not terribly expensive, it may not register on anyone's radar, though, unless it involves absences and HR gets wind of it.

There was an incident with AOL about this in 2014, and there was much commentary on it at the time.

Business Insider: Here's how AOL knew about Employee's Health Insurance Claims

You may end up in the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) database, though, which may influence future insurance eligibility, such as for life insurance.

Usually, they will ask if you have ever received or consulted for addiction treatment, but they can check the MIB. The MIB is like a credit report for insurance companies, to help them find "errors" (lies) from applicants.

You can search Sober Recovery for "life insurance" to find some threads on this topic if you want. Some people have been affected.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As far as i'm aware going to rehab counts as taking a medical leave of absence that won't jeopardize your employment.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
As far as i'm aware going to rehab counts as taking a medical leave of absence that won't jeopardize your employment.
I can't afford a leave of absence. I am single and rely on myself to pay the rent and bills.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't afford a leave of absence.
Can you afford to keep drinking? Tongue-in-cheek of course....but in reality you are most likely going to have to take some time off work even for outpatient rehab, many programs meet during the daytime hours. The one I originally signed up for was 4 hours a day 5 days a week. I wasn't able to get in though at the time as you needed to be sober for 72 hours first.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How's the AA going Sinderos?

So I can only share MY experience in a situation like this. I went to inpatient for 15 days, which was awesome. When I got out I started attending AA right away, and I was signed up for IOP. I went to IOP for two weeks (2 days a week, 4 hours. Group counseling) and decided that, for me, AA was a better option and I got more out of it. But its important to remember I had just gotten out of rehab so I felt I had a least a bit of solid ground to stand on. If you can't stay sober than obviously you need to do something different. So do whatever is necessary.

I'm glad you've realized you're a full fledged alcoholic. That's really where we all need to begin!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in outpatient rehab and I really wish I would've went into an inpatient rehab only because I feel like that would've helped me way more than outpatient the place I go is an joke itself hasn't been helpful. If you do outpatient really look around and find one that will be best for your recovery and has good reviews. Make sure you get involved into meetings and finding yourself an sponsor.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Obviously I don't know your company, but often time a company is quite good about getting help. They'd rather see their employee get help than circle the drain. Most important is that you get better Sinderos.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alyn528 View Post
I'm in outpatient rehab and I really wish I would've went into an inpatient rehab only because I feel like that would've helped me way more than outpatient the place I go is an joke itself hasn't been helpful. If you do outpatient really look around and find one that will be best for your recovery and has good reviews. Make sure you get involved into meetings and finding yourself an sponsor.
So why don't you change IOP's or look into inpatient?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
If I knew I couldn't quit, I'd go to inpatient if at all possible. Get a fresh start and some really good tools.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Well I'm court ordered IOP and I'm graduating from their next week and I'm waiting to see what happens with my whole court stuff. I am looking into another IOP that my cousin goes too which she says its an amazing facility I need to get the number from her.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can't afford a leave of absence. I am single and rely on myself to pay the rent and bills.
You probably can't afford losing your job, which may eventually happen if ever the drinking really gathers steam. You've been at this for four years now, so hopefully things haven't gotten worse in that time.

I don't know what to tell you, but you've been on SR long enough to know what is available to you. The chief ingredient is a willingness to part with that alcohol, though.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Sinderos. Your concerns are understandable. Your employer should not be able to find out about the alcoholism, because your medical records are condidential/PHI (personal health information). HIPAA laws.

The outpatient rehab I did I did while at home. My psych wrote me scripts for several medications to assist with detoxing and told me to just stop immediately and go to the hospital if I needed immediate medical attention. This may work for some. I could not personally afford the cost of inpatient rehab or take the time off of work.

I should also say that I did other things as well. While taking the prescribed meds (Campral and Carbamazepine [for seizure prevention]) I went to weekly therapy sessions to work on issues that have led me to drink for so long. This, I believe, is critical to stay dry and prevent future relapses.

Stay strong.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
You probably can't afford losing your job, which may eventually happen if ever the drinking really gathers steam. You've been at this for four years now, so hopefully things haven't gotten worse in that time..
When I first came here 4 years ago I wasn't sure if I had a problem with drinking. At that point I had only been drinking for 2 years. Only 1 year of daily drinking. Yes, my drinking has increased. I am "high functioning" and do very well at my job. I always get excellent reviews. If I knew all of the answers, I wouldn't be on SR. From what I have learned from this thread, outpatient isn't an option. I have no option when it comes to working. Your reply appeared to me to be very judgmental which isn't helpful to anyone who is struggling and truly wants to get better.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are high functioning until you are not. This drinking melarky is a creeper and you writing that your drinking has increased tells me that in time you will no longer be high functioning. It happened to me and probably many many others on here.
Not sure what country you are in, but does your place of employment have holiday and sick leave entitlements? Could you take some accrued leave to get a kick start on your sobriety?
Here in Australia we get 4 weeks of holiday leave and 2 weeks sick leave per year.
I took 3 weeks leave late last year and went to inpatient rehab. Best decision I have made in decades. I am 1 day off 3 months sober so I am an avid fan of inpatient rehab because I could not string 2 days of not drinking together before hand.
Oh and usually employers are very understanding when it comes to mental health and addiction. Especially when the employee is proactively trying to seek help. Could your concerns about your employer knowing you have a problem be unfounded? I would say quite possibly.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think what they are saying might come across as harsh, but desperate times calls for desperate measures. It sounds like you are not able to get sober on your own or with the help of AA. In this situation, it sounds like you need to go all out with inpatient rehab to really get things kicked into gear.