Notices

Day 6 - Tired

Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 - Tired

Well, I have made it to day 6. Normally, on a Saturday, I would have started drinking this morning and would be hammered by now. I was productive today and have been sleeping better but have been extremely tired (the past few days) - to the point of taking naps during the day. I would think that energy levels would be getting better as this toxic substance leaves my body? Does anyone recall this extreme fatigue in early sobriety and how long did it last?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm at Day 87 and still have a nanna nap on the weekends at times. Having spent decades drinking, I figure it will take awhile for my body to properly adjust to no booze.
I have read upwards of 2 years on here.
Lucky napping is quite enjoyable and refreshing.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Yes...i napped all the time. Something about sugar levels and healing.

I was working out when I quit drinking. I steadily ramped it up until now..21 months clean.

For me the stages have been withdrawel, detox, healing, mental suffering, mental discomfort, and normalcy. The whole time...the crave lurks.

Since my drinking days are so far behind me and my education about booze is at the bachelors to masters level...I will never drink again.

I don't fight my addiction, I embrace my sobriety. I have been to AA meetings and they are plan B for me. If I feel like I am going to relapse I will be at a meeting.

SR, prayer, and exercise are what I use to never drink again.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi soberD
I think a lot of people underestimate the toll drinking take son out body and how long it might take to fix it.

I dunno about you but I drank for years - day 6 is great - but it'll probably take a few more days yet.

Not that I'm any yardstick cos I had a few other things going on as well, but it took me more than 30 days to get my energy back.

It'll happen for you too

D
Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are one day away from one week, that is fantastic. I was definitely tired for the first few weeks, and my sleeping patterns were off, it definitely got better after a few weeks.

Hang in there, you are doing great!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the responses - just woke up from a nap Day 7 now and based on the replies, sounds like I need to be more patient for the energy to come back.

I think the longest I have gone in the past 20 years was 50 days without a drink...and I remember how great I was feeling then so I'm going to keep on it.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like a typical Sat or Sun for me, a little over a month ago. I've only been sober for 31 days, but it took awhile for the strength/energy to come back, and I'm still sleeping a lot. It is going to take time, especially if you've been a long time drinker like me...
Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 7 weeks in and am still tired more than usual. But noticeably better this week. If you can, just sleep. Your body is healing itself. Some people are fine in 3 weeks, others can take months. I was worried too when I got to about 4 weeks and I was still tired but I spoke with my uncle who told me that he was tired for a good 6 months and he was in his mid 50's when he quit. He has quit for over 10 years and he is in great shape now. Congratulations on 6 days!
Old 02-05-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's a blessing to be tired if you're able to sleep. I remember my first period sober I was awake for 5 whole days straight, I started hallucinating during day 4, I was miserable.i used a little vitamin Benadryl and was able to finally sleep, my lesser attempts at sobriety at a week and two I found myself difficulty falling and staying a sleep a few day to a week in, and that was using Benadryl, melatonin and sleepy time tea
Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you feel tired sleep, it's going to benefit you. Those night of wasting 8 hours lying in bed with no luck nothing but repeating empty thoughts of wishing I could go to sleep and replaying the day and how I wish tomorrow I'd feel better. Also assuming laying down with my eyes closed was better than being up and active, and hoping I could at least get the bare minimum at rest for work the next day.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me, sleep is nature's cure. BUT for me also it can be an indication of diet.