Notices

New guy, here's my story

Old 02-03-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sportdeck: You sound like you're going to be O.K. Awesome stamina, maturity (despite all that drinking). You sound like you're tough, persistent and it warms my heart just to think of you making it if you keep on doing just what you're doing right now. Eventually you may be able to level with your friends and say, "I've had health problems with alcohol and have decided that I just shouldn't drink". Some may disagree and try to rope you in to keep them company. Don't fall for it and don't let your AV persuade you otherwise. You're a sailor. Put yourself on a broad reach and may you have a fair wind and a smooth sail. Do keep posting. We're always here

Bill
Old 02-04-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

the good thing is its your cabin, so you are allowed to say whether your friends bring alcohol or not.
hopefully they will understand and see alcohol isnt necessary to have an enjoyable vacation.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sportsdeck - congrats on your sober time

D
Old 02-04-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great story, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-05-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Update on my Friday night out, my best friend and his wife joined us, we went and seen the movie Split, now that guy's head was messed up, wow, great movie.

After the movie we stopped at a bar to have some wings, they asked for the drink order and I said Pepsi and a water, told them all go ahead have a drink I'm driving anyway but they all got the same as me.

After we were done eating we went to their house where all our kids were at and played cards till around 2 am, it was an awesome night, had a good visit and everyone had fun, 3 months ago we would have polished off 24 beer, a 40 of Rye and a couple bottles of wine In the same night and I wouldn't have remembered going home or the last few hours of the night, wife would have had to drive and I would have slept downstairs instead of having relations in my own bed when we got home.

What a great night it was, my buddy probably drank as much as I did before and has hardly drank since I quit, I don't expect anyone to stop just because I have but he pretty much has, and we all agree that it feels pretty good to have a night out and not have shame or guilt the next day.

And most importantly we can still have fun.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Sportdeck! Sounds like you have made a great start and you have a lot of wonderful reasons to keep sober. Just remember, when you start thinking you have it beat, it will bite you in the behind. Stay at it!
Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That's awesome! Happy you enjoyed your sober night out. Sounds like you have a good wife and friends on your side.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sportdeck - The realization that we can live again in a new & better way is so important. Even though I was miserable at the end of my drinking career, I was very afraid nothing would ever be fun again. I'm sure it's encouraging to know you can enjoy yourself sober. No hangover - what a bonus.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sportdeck203 View Post
Update on my Friday night out, my best friend and his wife joined us, we went and seen the movie Split, now that guy's head was messed up, wow, great movie.

After the movie we stopped at a bar to have some wings, they asked for the drink order and I said Pepsi and a water, told them all go ahead have a drink I'm driving anyway but they all got the same as me.

After we were done eating we went to their house where all our kids were at and played cards till around 2 am, it was an awesome night, had a good visit and everyone had fun, 3 months ago we would have polished off 24 beer, a 40 of Rye and a couple bottles of wine In the same night and I wouldn't have remembered going home or the last few hours of the night, wife would have had to drive and I would have slept downstairs instead of having relations in my own bed when we got home.

What a great night it was, my buddy probably drank as much as I did before and has hardly drank since I quit, I don't expect anyone to stop just because I have but he pretty much has, and we all agree that it feels pretty good to have a night out and not have shame or guilt the next day.

And most importantly we can still have fun.
That's awesome mate, and congrats on the 48 days. I am finding the same with my circle of friends. I met up with some firefighter mates on Saturday night and was really dreading telling them I wasn't drinking anymore. In the end, I got a weird face from one of them initially, but 3 of the other 6 decided they would just have a soft drink and water too. The guy that pulled the face stopped at one beer, as did the others!!! That stuff wouldn't have been happening a few months ago!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision Sportdeck. Your family is very proud of you I know.
With your attitude and desire to live a sober life, you will be fine, I am sure.
A few days cruising around this site has probably made you realize that you and us are not all that much different. Maybe the highway we took is different, but we all ended up here. Looking for help, someone to talk to that truly understands. Lots of us here.
I am 39 months into my sobriety. I was almost 60 when I quit. I will be 63 in a couple of weeks. I was a binge drinker for 45 years. My stop button broke decades ago. I always thought I had a problem, but I was functioning with career, family friends. Drinking was what we did. Not just me, but our circle.
When I had an honest discussion with my Dr. after a red flag liver test, I broke down with the realization that this drinking would kill me. I quit drinking that day.
I came to SR after a couple of weeks crying and whining to myself that I had lost my best friend. A wise old drunk tuned me up pretty good.
He told me that there is no such thing as a functioning alcoholic. It is just a stage where I was. Eventually it will get worse and you will die. He also said I had a disease called the "Yets". I hadn't lost my job, yet. I hadn't lost my wife, yet. I hadn't killed someone with my car, yet. My 3 kids hadn't given up on me. yet.
He also told me one more thing. Get a plan. A plan to deal with the Christmas party coming up. A plan to take a different way home, Not past your tavern. A plan to lose your drinking buddies and reconnect with your true friends. A plan to get your finances in order. A plan to get your body healthy. Get a plan, work your plan.
It stuck with me.
I also have rec. property. This was my perfect spot to drink to excess. I would make up a reason why I had to go down on Thursday morning by myself. They I would have all day to drink 24 beer without interruption from the one that loves me the most.
Anyway, we all have our stories and I am so happy to hear yours. I wish you well and look forward to watching your recovery blossom. It will be so worth it to you and yours.
Read, and post often. Lots of wise people here that have been where you are now.
Rick
Old 02-05-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rickh54 View Post
Congrats on your decision Sportdeck. Your family is very proud of you I know.
With your attitude and desire to live a sober life, you will be fine, I am sure.
A few days cruising around this site has probably made you realize that you and us are not all that much different. Maybe the highway we took is different, but we all ended up here. Looking for help, someone to talk to that truly understands. Lots of us here.
I am 39 months into my sobriety. I was almost 60 when I quit. I will be 63 in a couple of weeks. I was a binge drinker for 45 years. My stop button broke decades ago. I always thought I had a problem, but I was functioning with career, family friends. Drinking was what we did. Not just me, but our circle.
When I had an honest discussion with my Dr. after a red flag liver test, I broke down with the realization that this drinking would kill me. I quit drinking that day.
I came to SR after a couple of weeks crying and whining to myself that I had lost my best friend. A wise old drunk tuned me up pretty good.
He told me that there is no such thing as a functioning alcoholic. It is just a stage where I was. Eventually it will get worse and you will die. He also said I had a disease called the "Yets". I hadn't lost my job, yet. I hadn't lost my wife, yet. I hadn't killed someone with my car, yet. My 3 kids hadn't given up on me. yet.
He also told me one more thing. Get a plan. A plan to deal with the Christmas party coming up. A plan to take a different way home, Not past your tavern. A plan to lose your drinking buddies and reconnect with your true friends. A plan to get your finances in order. A plan to get your body healthy. Get a plan, work your plan.
It stuck with me.
I also have rec. property. This was my perfect spot to drink to excess. I would make up a reason why I had to go down on Thursday morning by myself. They I would have all day to drink 24 beer without interruption from the one that loves me the most.
Anyway, we all have our stories and I am so happy to hear yours. I wish you well and look forward to watching your recovery blossom. It will be so worth it to you and yours.
Read, and post often. Lots of wise people here that have been where you are now.
Rick
Thankyou for sharing!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for sharing your story! Sounds like you have lots of positive things going on in your life!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I did something today to help with some of my spare time and to give back to the community, when we got to the hill this morning the Canadian ski patrol had a tent set up and were giving out info on joining and trying to recruit people.

I thought this is great, I'm here every weekend anyways, why not, there's a lot of perks, free sking for the whole family, free drinks and 1/2 price food in the ski lodge, a high level of first aid training, and I get to help people, I'm doing a 2 day course on the hill next weekend on toboggan handling and then will need to complete the 60 hours of first aid training.

It seems pretty hard for them to get volunteers, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that signed up today, I got to meet most of the other patrollers today and check out the building they use to tend to hurt skiers/boarders, nice lunch area, lockers with boots driers and the whole bit so you don't have to take your equipment home.

Get a fancy red jacket with a cross on it and a Walkie talkie too who could turn that down, lol.

I almost can't believe where my life is right now compared to 3 months ago, all because of not picking up that beer every weekend, hit 30 pounds on weight loss by the way, stronger every day, good thing cause that will help me bring that 350 lb toboggan down the hill with out eating snow I hope, lol.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to read of your progress sportdeck - well done

D
Old 02-19-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great idea to sign up for ski patrol, Sportdeck. Especially the red jacket part.
Thanks for letting us know how it's going. Very happy for your new life.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome!