Notices

Good news weekender 3-5 feb

Old 02-03-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks Delilah!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO happy. I finally am eligible to get my work license. In March I'll have my full license back. I can't stand it anymore, I am eternally grateful for the person who has been giving me rides to and from work but there's something that puts me on the edge of my seat. I am naturally jumpy now in a car. Probably because I've now experienced an issue in driving....but, it seems to me like people just drive insane now. Even my own husband, we'll be traveling on the highway and he will be doing 60 miles an hour with about 20 feet between us and the car in front. He knows this makes me nervous. I can see further ahead into traffic and I start to see brake lights but he keeps his flipping foot on that gas. Some day there's going to be a pile up.

Then, the woman who picks me up for work. She talks on her phone and occasionally texts as we're driving. This bothers me but I don't really have a say. Yesterday we were exiting the parking garage. The traffic is two way so if you arrive at a corner you have to slow down because it's tight quarters if another car is coming the opposite way. She's driving and holding her phone up in the air reading texts and I can see that there's a car coming up from the other direction. She continues and is not looking and I stay silent until either I have to close my eyes or say something. We hit the corner and I see the other car starting to turn and I say to her "look out". She gets pissy with me and says "I see him, don't do that to me, you're going to make ME get into an accident". I guess maybe I'm the idiot here? I know when I see a car coming up I stop and wait for them to come around the corner to insure there's enough room.

Ugh, just glad I will be able to drive myself soon. Because of people not paying attention you not only have to be careful of what you're doing you have to play chess and calculate the possibility what everyone else is doing too. When did drivers get away from the mindset that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?
Old 02-03-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I'm not sure what it is with us drivers. My wife is a back seat driver and naturally I get pissy at her for warning me about obstacles. Maybe this morning I'll shock her and thank you instead. Lol....
Old 02-03-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm in for a nice sober weekend. I actually have a full day planned tomorrow which involves no alcohol.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Better late than never!!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I'm not sure what it is with us drivers. My wife is a back seat driver and naturally I get pissy at her for warning me about obstacles. Maybe this morning I'll shock her and thank you instead. Lol....
I truly think that I am this way because I now have a first hand understanding that anything can happen at any time. There are no absolutes when you are behind the wheel. All odds were against me on the day of my accident but even my lawyer admitted that a person with zero alcohol would have ended up in the same boat. This is partially why these charges are being dropped. The pedestrian was in my blind spot and I was in the crosswalk before he was. He had a hoodie on with the hood up over his head and he was looking down, not even paying attention to what was going on in front of him. He walked into my vehicle. I had no way of seeing him. He was also fine.

So, where I've always been a careful driver I'm not just aware of the car in front of me, I am also aware of all things going on around me that could be a possible situation now. I have never been more alert due to what happened. I just don't look at things in front of me, I am mindful of all things around me. So, when I am in the car with my husband doing 60+ mph and 20 feet behind the car in front and I can see traffic ahead with brake lights and he's still accelerating I am going to say something. I can already see that the car in front of us is also not paying attention and they're going to have to brake at the last moment. Then, my husband will come out of his idiotic acceleration stupor and he'll have to stop quick, perhaps not even being able to. Why take the chance?

Let me just say this. The coworker that drives me? First, this does not happen every day. I am not "that" passenger. Yes, a little jumpy. She got mad at me for pointing out traffic was stopped ahead before. I only told her because she was still punching the gas as opposed to letting up in the event that we needed to stop. From that point on I kept my mouth shut. Then, one morning I saw it coming and I just grabbed onto the inside door handle and closed my eyes. I felt her hit the brakes hard and the car swerve to the right. I opened my eyes and she had to point the vehicle and go to the right to avoid hitting the car in front of us. I just looked over at her and she said "I don't want to hear it".

Anyway, so so so so so glad to have my license back so I don't have to deal with this anymore.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm happy for you, LadyBlue! I only lost my license completely for two different 45-day periods, and it was difficult. And I live in a small town where almost everything is walkable. I can't imagine being completely dependent on others to get to work for as long as you have been. I did get rides from time to time, and I always felt so grateful and bad at the same time that I was somehow putting them out. I have restrictions still, but those will be lifted at the end of May. Then I'll be able to go anywhere, at any time. That will feel good.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I will have to Google Punxatawny later

Not really had time to catch up properly even though the day is dragging with the electronic equivalent of paperwork.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I am in!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It's Friday. I'm SO happy it's Friday. My children stayed overnight with my mother in law and I got to sleep in this morning because I didn't have to get them up, harass them to get dressed, make their lunches, harass them into the car to get to school. Remind my son fifteen times to get out of bed, ten times to get into the shower, a hundred times to get his socks on, get his socks on, get his socks on. It was so pleasant to only get me out the door.

LadyB, that will be so nice to drive. Your co-worker sounds like a driver that would cause me to have a heart attack if I were sitting in the front seat and trying not to gasp or yell "look out!" Eek.

Low key weekend planned although tomorrow morning will be busy. Daughter was referred for a vision screening so she may need glasses. She's a little nervous about that. Same age as me when I got mine - 8.

See you all later.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Oh, RUBY! I identify! My kids were just like that, but my it was my middle son who really took it to a new level!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks to all the SR hero's that help keep us on the sober bus I'm in
Old 02-03-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

OK, I now know who (or what)Punxutawny Phil is

LadyBlue, I'm glad you only have a few weeks left, it sounds like a nightmare
Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I must admit to not being a great passenger myself, I have to resist the urge to use imaginary throttle and brake. As a driver I am always amazed at the amount of braking some people do instead of leaving a slightly longer gap to the car in front. Their fuel consumption and brake wear must be dire.

I am one of those bores people who can rant on and on for hours about bad driving
Old 02-03-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Count me in! Glad to see January go. It was a long, long month for me. And congrats on 180, Lunar!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Today wasn't a great day.
I got a phone call from my mom at lunch to say that my dad is sick and couldn't get out of bed.
Now this is very unusual for my dad. The last time I remember him being unable to get up must be about 10 - 12 years ago. He rarely gets sick. And when he does he forces himself to get on with things. My mom said when he stood up he said that the room was spinning and he felt nauseous. Them she got mad at me and hung up.

I felt really bad right then. Plus it was raining and I got splashed by a car.

Later I found out that my mom and sister were having a fight over something. I asked them to please lay off until dad feels better.

One of the doctors at work maybe saw that I looked worried so he asked me what I'm doing for the weekend. I said I wasn't sure as my dad is unwell. He ended up giving me a prescription to give to him. I didn't ask in case anyone is wondering. I doubt my dad will take them anyway. His arm would want to be nearly hanging off before he would even take an aspirin.

My mom asked me to get a bus home tomorrow to try and cheer them up a bit.

Now I'm here with my self pity looking out at the rain and I can't help but wonder - where is my happy ending?

It's the loneliness which gets me in the end you see. Plus if anything happened to my dad I would find things very difficult.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

And there it is: "if anything happened to him I would find things very difficult". Hmmm.

You know there was a time about three years ago I was having an extremely difficult time. My dad used to bring me breakfast in bed every day during those dark days. Nothing major, just bread, cheese, a sliced apple or a handful of grapes and always 2 cups of tea.

There was a time when the only reason I would force myself out of bed was because of him. Then I felt better very slowly.

If he's not able to get up he must be very sick indeed
Old 02-03-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Is anyone else at home on a Friday night or is it just me? When I finally moved out of my parents house and back into town I thought I would be able to do all these amazing things in the evening. But it's pretty much the same
Old 02-03-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

So I am glad I work weekends. And I am glad I have 5 months sober that I don't want to throw away. Or I would because I am absolutely bored out of my mind.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Is anyone else at home on a Friday night or is it just me? When I finally moved out of my parents house and back into town I thought I would be able to do all these amazing things in the evening. But it's pretty much the same
Hi, I'm right there with ya.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm going to be home this Friday eve. I have to run to the post office, but then... Home. Friday night. Right.

I too am so glad for the weekend. I really want no plans at all, but I will watch the super ball or whatever it is on Sunday eve. With friends who know I don't drink.