Notices

Good news weekender 3-5 feb

Old 02-02-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

And here is some music to get us started. Shirley Bassey is 80. This video was released in 2010 when I am assuming she was 73. We can rock this.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been doing my budget for the next two weeks. After I've paid all my bills I'm afraid I'll be eating beans and toast for a little while.
Although I had a bad day today so I treated myself to a pizza. Just because I felt like it. And in fairness I would eat my own socks if I could cover them with melted cheese.

Hmmm

I was just reading The Irish Times online and came across this article.

"Five-bed Dublin house with sewage problem had up to 70 tenants"

Court told balaclava-wearing man refused local authority official access to house.

A landlord, who housed up to 70 people in a sub-let property, has been ordered to find alternative accommodation for the last of his tenants by Saturday evening.
X rented the five-bedroom house at Co Dublin for €4,000.
Unknown to the owner, he sub-let it to tenants from South America and eastern Europe at €50 a week.
He had up to 17 individuals in one room and 36 had been given bunk and single-bed accommodation in the basement.
An order to vacate the premises by midday on Thursday was given last week in the Circuit Civil Court."

Well I don't like where I'm currently living, but at least it's not as bad as that.

When I wanted to move out of my parents last year Sao gave me good advice here: to pick a date in advance and stick to it. So I did. I chose July 27th because my Grandmother had died on that date exactly one year earlier and I knew that she would not like me to be so unhappy. In the end I had moved out by 4th July - so ahead of schedule.

I think it's time for me to pick a new date!
Old 02-02-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
saoutchik

We have similar scenario's in London Tetra, it's criminal.

Great video Ruby and I heard about forces sweetheart Vera Lynn turning 100 on the radio.

This youngster of 56 cannot keep his eyes open any longer
Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi all. I am feeling kind of wordless, quiet...and I'm hopelessly behind reading posts. But...I'm here!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi, February, a short month but daylength is increasing and that to me spells hope for a productive season ahead. My grandfather was sober and I never saw or heard him struggle or complain. I would love to have him around to ask him about why and how he stopped drinking and maintained his enthusiasm.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats Lunar - long time no see

D
Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Thanks Sao, I am in!

On January 27th my daughter celebrated 5 years sober from opiates. I have taken over setting up my Sunday night meeting and have asked her to speak. I will then be presenting her with her 5 year coin. She has been and always will be my greatest inspiration. Although I wish we didn't have to share this experience I am honored that we are on this journey together. It's an incredible bond. My signature line is built from words she gave me when I returned to sobriety. I asked her how she did it. How she had managed to stay away for so long and never look back. She said to me "Because there is no option".

Have a great sober weekend everyone
I love that you will be presenting her with her five year chip, I also love your signature line. ❤️
Old 02-02-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Another great opener, Sao. Thank you for making this a welcoming place in which we all support one another.

One person I admire particularly is Betty Ford. There are many reasons I respect her, include her recovery and advocacy for others.

Here's a good article about her.
Betty Ford: A free spirit who became an inspiration to millions - CSMonitor.com

The last paragraph in the article quotes Mrs. Ford:

"There is joy in recovery," she wrote, "and in helping others discover that joy."

We see that everyday on SR. It's something for which we can all be joyful.
Thanks for sharing that article Venicia, it's a good one.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Hello World ,

thursday night ... good time to plan ahead for those in the early days or who are feeling vunerable .

make sure we dont drive past the bar with a pocket full of money burning a hole in our "pants" friday afternoon ,

make sure the cupboards are stocked with food so if we feel weak in our resolve we can go shopping and pass the alcohol aisle on another day .

Optimism is a good weapon in our arsenal , take some time out to think about the good things sobriety brings , remeber a lot of the rubbish drinking brings .

Getting sober is the pad stone , a solid foundation from which we can build a life unkown to our former selves in my experience .

You, me maybe we're all going to die at 120 years old with a smile on our weather beaten happy wrinkled faces as we remeber what a great sober and joyful life we've had .

A part of my alcoholic nature seemed to think i was going to die soon , within 20 years of whatever age i was .. at 20 i couldnt imagine living till i was 35 .

With the amazing leaps forwards in drugs , care and knowledge none of us know what might be possible in a few short years ..

I'm in for the weekend , i'm in for living to 120 , i'm in for outrageous optimism and the chance to start over for as long as it takes untill it sticks and to live a glorious life

m
I'm in for living to 120 and beyond! Hopefully a good wrinkle cream comes with those amazing leaps!
Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I'm in. Thank you Sao for starting us off.

Congrats Lunar on 180 days. That's great!

I've been glued to the media lately. Facebook, radio, newspaper online. It is generally disheartening and grim. I won't drink over it. And there are bright spots to celebrate.
I've been the same with the news Ruby. It is hard to watch, and impossible not to.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm in as a newb' graduate of the January class. 33 days, or some such, since last drink. Yay me. Yay, SR. Yay us. Great group of caring folks in this community.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Circlewagons View Post
I'm in as a newb' graduate of the January class. 33 days, or some such, since last drink. Yay me. Yay, SR. Yay us. Great group of caring folks in this community.
Welcome Graduate!
Old 02-02-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for another great thread Sao. I am in for the weekend, I returned to work this week after being off for almost six weeks for knee replacement surgery, and my body is definitely ready for some rest this weekend..

I am already in bed for the night, and it is only 6:18! I am actually planning to go to sleep around 8:00. I feel like a little old lady, and if I am going to live to 120 and beyond, I better get some beauty rest.

Have a great night everyone.

❤️Delilah
Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you for the thoughtful post, Sao!!
I am always inspired by stories of those that have overcome addiction.
I feel like I am part of a very, very special group of people.

I am in for the weekend!
And...the groundhog today observed his shadow!!! Six more weeks of winter!!!
I love me some gray winter days!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have never yet heard of a groundhog who predicts an early spring!

Punxsutawney Phil always seems to see his shadow! I'm surprised that anyone pays attention to him anymore.

But do you know what I read today? Five-star hotel rooms in Punxsutawney, PA for Groundhogs Day were going for more than equivalent rooms in Houston for the Super Bowl!

I don't believe it! What a farce!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend. ...thanks Sao!!
Old 02-02-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I'm in too.
Hopefully nearing the end of my cold.... 3 weeks or so now. Struggled through January with feeling so very low..... tried to stop beating myself up over it and say this too will pass. I for one am looking forward to February as hoping to feel a bit better soon mentally and physically. Also several family birthdays to look forward to. Thanks for the opener Saou.
Bye for now xx
Old 02-03-2017, 02:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Spring is on the way in the Northern hemisphere
Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

How wonderful for you and your daughter LB

I hope autumn is coming soon here you guys but I see no signs of it lol

D
Old 02-03-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Timely intro Sao.

I am very optimistic about the future. All that talk of that doom and gloom is just that- doom and gloom talk.

Life is what we make of it and being sober gives us a real shot at living it to the fullest! I'm in!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I just strive on my own part to make the world the best place it can be.