Notices

Newcomer to site, just need advice

Old 01-31-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer to site, just need advice

HelloI am Travis I am 36 years old and just need a forum where I can ask other people's experience. I just do not know where to turn anymore. I am detoxing for like the 4th time ina year. I know this forum said no medical advice, but it possible to post my experience and ask what other people have gone thru because I am sick and tired of this alcoholic life.

Thanks for any resonse.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place, its good you found us.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Great step finding SR, a,great community of fellow travelers, tons of experience and support.
Come back often, ask , read, post and come back often
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 01-31-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can certainly post your experience and get feedback from others. Sorry to hear your going through the detox process, it is no fun. Welcome to SR.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just want to really know how others have quit drinking. I will go about 20-30 days then boom its back again. I take clonazpam and have drank the past 19 days but the last 3 days only if I need it but I just want to hear what others have done cause I am tired of not sleeping, shaking, and waking up just to drink water and gag it back. This is not how I want to live, our how I invisioned my life. Sorry for rambling just helps to keep my mind off it.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the welcome's, I feel like a home already.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's a link to a thread about methods of recovery and our experiences detoxing.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

This thread is a 'sticky' in Newcomers.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi chachimarachi.

I felt at home here too - and I never left after posting for the first time. Wasn't sure what to expect when I joined, but the encouragement here was great. I never felt alone again. Other people in my life didn't understand what I was going through. I'm glad you have the desire to change your life. I wish I'd done it when I was 36.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is sometimes said on this forum that quitting drinking is simple, but not easy. I think you understand that what you are experiencing is caused solely by your alcohol consumption and it will likely go away (even quickly) if you stop drinking. There are many different ways to quit and you can learn about that here on this forum. Read here daily and post often, its what many of us did to quit.
The hard part is dealing with cravings...the desire to drink when we know we shouldn't. We need to be strong in those moments and wait until they pass.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Please read the thread that Least posted for you. It's all about our experiences. And, we do understand.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"I am sick and tired of this alcoholic life."

That's a great place to start. Perhaps the ONLY place to successfully start.

As to how others have done it, all I can say is that

I STOPPED

I SUFFERED

and was SAVED

from the hell of drinking.

(and you can do it too)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rooting for you! Hang tough. Welcome aboard.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi chachimarachi, welcome to SR .
Old 01-31-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you will find lots of support here!!! The link above is great. Also, I found posting in the monthly class really helpful. You should join February of 2017, you will find others who have committed or recommitted to recovery this month, and it helps to have others at the same point in their recovery journey.

Another great thread is the 24 hour recovery thread, it is a great place to meet others on this forum , and to make a commitment to sobriety one day at a time.

I'm sorry you are dealing with detox right now, be kind to yourself, rest, drink lots of water, and try to eat. Once you are feeling better physically start working on the mental cravings. I found that I needed to plan for alternate activities in the evenings when I normally would have been drinking. I went for walks, to the gym, read, journaled, took my kids to the park, or to activities they had. I needed to change up my normal routine. Also, get rid of all the alcohol on your house, it can be too tempting in the beginning. I also spent a lot of time on SR reading and posting.

You can do this, and I promise sobriety is worth it!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the positive feedback, it is greatly appreatiated.

I have read alot of the stories that people haave gone thru and its incredible.

Does anyone thinking about 7.5 beers for 20 days is gonna do alot of withdrawal, just want some opinion.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I know this answer is frustrating as hell, but... it depends. Everyone's withdrawal process is different. And many people have successively more difficult withdrawal symptoms with every detox. My best advice to you would be to be very observant of your mind and body. If something doesn't feel right, seek medical help. It is scary and embarrassing to ask a medical professional for help with dependency issues, but speaking from personal experience, it could save your life. If you have a friend or family member who can stay with you while you go through the detox process, it may be easier for you. Having someone to help monitor your condition and to talk to about how you feel can make a huge difference.

Welcome to the forum, and great job on taking on the process of freeing yourself from the drink!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with above that it is different for everyone from basically nothing, to horrific withdrawals that require hospitalization.
Though stopping now will be a good idea, not to mention drinking on benzos is very dangerous.