Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 1

Old 02-10-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
BGJ

Welcome to Charliesworld and sissylove and anyone else new I might have missed!

It was nice waking up to so many posts in this thread this morning. Even in our struggles, I see so many little victorious moments. One day, one hour, one moment at a time--we can all do this!

It's day 10 for me today. Back to double digits! This is my last day off. It's gorgeous outside. I think I might take a long walk in a bit.

Wishing all of us a safe and sober start to our weekend! Remember to ask for help if you need it. I know that's my plan.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Today was Day 3 for me and this will be my first weekend sober in a loooooong dang time! Looking forward to my run tomorrow morning and not feeling like garbage because I drank so much.
I hope everyone has a great weekend and stays strong and focused! We got this!!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Hope all you COF'ers are okay. The support at SR is good. 42C here at the moment. I am old and wise enough now not to 'man up' and pretend I enjoy this weather. Nope- it sucks.
Holy moly Phoenix! I think most Brits would combust at that temperature.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi all, still here just with family. Supposed to be going away with friends this weekend but last minute cancellation. Im Going anyway. Least there will be no pressure to drink or thoughts on joining in if I'm alone

Hope everyone is doing ok.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Saturday morning.....

Reading through the overnights....

Charliesworld: by drinking you are walking away.....don't do it, you need each other way more than you need another hangover or Day 1. Hope you feel better soon...stick with it, and you will.

That's a good technique Pyrate.....on sober runs when I've wanted to drink, instead of struggling with it....ok, go get a drink....but
just do this first. Go a get in half an hour or so....instead of struggling with 'no', say 'later'. When later comes around you're
elsewhere. Have a good vacation.

No need to torture yourself milly....good that you didn't drink over your marital situation tho....

God, sleep is good.....a lot of the time I start drinking for a few hours relief from the constant exhaustion that alcohol creates. Waking in the small hours, heart bumping, gulping soda water from the bottle, then lying there in the dark with sweat pouring off me, tormented night thoughts. Maybe shallow doze a little before dawn....up and repeat.

Really want to be done with it....

Day 5.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day 6 here going into the weekend.... Have been sitting here thinking about how silly I've been. Days 2-4 were the absolute worst because of feeling physically sick. And I actually thought a lot of that pain was emotional pain - depression. Today I'm sitting here, still craving, but I am not experiencing whole body aches. My neck doesn't feel like a rock. My headache is barely there (ha please go away!). I feel silly because in the past- the past FOUR years, whenever I felt that pain I thought- here comes that depression, better get some wine. What a lie.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I almost messed up today, thankfully I walked out of the store.

Another 24 for me
Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Millie and Charlie sword, I'm exactly the same.

The trick for me is when I have a panic attack or start despairing is to manage it.

Usually my way of dealing with PTSD related fears is drink myself into oblivion.

It has to stop, but I'm not sure if I can handle life. Or if I want to.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sissy

I have to be honest I found hanging out with my former drinking mates and being sober sucked too.

My old life was geared to drinking, so I had to make some changes, and find new things to do and sometimes new people to play with.

I know, it's a massive change but you mus be here for a reason.

It's worth the effort - I love my life now and I could never say that as a drinker.

D
Old 02-10-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

SS- Brits combust? I thought you would all be just rather damp and mouldy.
Joke.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marie0101 View Post
Day 6 here going into the weekend.... Have been sitting here thinking about how silly I've been. Days 2-4 were the absolute worst because of feeling physically sick. And I actually thought a lot of that pain was emotional pain - depression. Today I'm sitting here, still craving, but I am not experiencing whole body aches. My neck doesn't feel like a rock. My headache is barely there (ha please go away!). I feel silly because in the past- the past FOUR years, whenever I felt that pain I thought- here comes that depression, better get some wine. What a lie.
THIS IS SO ME!

Day 6, I thought I was feeling better...but back to feeling like CRAP! I'm going to this club meeting tonight (I'm kinda obligated) where there will be an open bar. I'm so sick still I can't even imagine smelling alcohol much less drinking it. But...then...exactly what you are saying...kinda in the back of my mind...a few would make things a little better...

Ha! Insanity!

I'll stay vigilant. I have a plan. First the closed board meeting. Then when they open the bar for social before the general meeting, I'm planning on going for a walk to see the full moon. I'll be back for the general meeting, then leaving right after.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Well, I'm disappointed. I can't go to the outpatient place because my insurance has a six thousand dollar deductible. Why have insurance?
I loved the things the counselor told me during our talk, while their office was dickering with the insurance company. He reminded me that since I come from a long line of alcoholics, this problem I have is genetic and not something I do because I'm weak and bad. Not that I haven't heard that before, but it helped to hear it this morning. And, that my brain is setting me up because I've learned that alcohol is what makes the mental pain go away. So the only way to beat it is to teach it other ways to get relief. That's going to mean not drinking when my whole mind is crying for alcohol, so that I can give myself time to build new ways to feel okay.
I'm going to have to have some help with that. Glad you are all here! It helps a lot to read your posts, how you are getting through. I still think I'll need more on top of SR, though. There's a lot of AA meetings in my town, and I'm glad of that. I am still looking for something to add to it, though. SR, AA and......
I plan to work on my plan tomorrow. One thing, I do know that I will do well to find things that give me good feelings other than alcohol. So, I am totally at liberty at the moment to seek out pleasurable things. In fact, it's something I must do if I want to stay sober, and I do!
Thanks to you all. I'm going to curl up on my sofa with a book (a good novel tonight, will go back to the recovery book tomorrow, since tonight I just need to relax and enjoy a sober evening) and my dog and turn on the news.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Meow

Sorry about the insurance situation, sober. Glad you are thinking of alternatives though.

Went out to dinner with a friend tonight. Italian food. REALLY wanted a nice glass of red wine. Like REALLY REALLY wanted one. But she doesn't drink so I didn't and I'm glad.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

So glad you were with a non-drinker Purple. According to the counselor I met with today, if you enjoyed the sober dinner, it's points toward keeping you sober in the future, because your mind has been taught a new sober pleasure. I really like that way of thinking.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same situation, nexttime. Like you, I'm determined this time. We can do this. And may our friends get the help they need, too!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
BGJ

Sorry about the insurance situation, Sober369, but glad you got something positive out of the application process anyways.

Wanting a drink ain't the same thing as taking one, PurpleCat. Very proud of you for not having that drink!

That's a step forward for both of you. Keep it up!

Been a quiet, calm day off here. I haven't left the house at all and if it wasn't for a brief phone call from my father, I don't think I would have talked to a single soul. And I'm quite OK with that, at least for this one day.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Meow

Hanging in there BJG.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is an awesome link for making recovery plans suited to your individual needs
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Hope all you COF'ers are okay. The support at SR is good. 42C here at the moment. I am old and wise enough now not to 'man up' and pretend I enjoy this weather. Nope- it sucks.
42ºC is too hot. I love 100ºF, but I draw the line at 107.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Happy sober Saturday! I'm going to Italy today. Ciao!!! I will be sightseeing sober and enjoy waking in the morning early with a clear head and see the sights. Hope everyone has a good weekend.