Notices

Been browsing for a while

Old 01-31-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been browsing for a while

Well, day 2 of not going to work. I have been drinking for the past 4 days, pretty much nonstop. This has got to end. It is also affecting my relationship with my s/o and our toddler. The hangovers are so bad now...I'm depressed and embarassed all day and can hardly move. I'm going to make today day 1. I have to...for myself, my family, my job and our future. I am so sick of living like this. I keep thinking that I can only drink on the weekends, but we all know how that goes...anyways, I just wanted to post because I could use some support...I don't want things to get worse and if I keep drinking, that is inevitable. Thanks for reading!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ready,

We are addicts. Alcoholic is the medical term.

The physical detox takes about a month. The mental takes a long long time.

I still crave at 21 months clean.

The brain damage is crave. We want the euphoria booze offers.

After a while, natural dopamine returns. Exercise helps.

Stay clean.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks D122y...it's funny bc I'm either all in (exercising, eating healthy, etc) or all out (binge drinking for days on end). Idk how to get out of the cycle.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Ready!

It wasn't until I could fully accept that my drinking would never get better and would only get worse if I continued that I could finally quit fighting to control it and just stop.

I needed help to stay stopped and this place is a good start. I realized that I had to be prepared to be pretty uncomfortable with the cravings at first and not just give in when they came, but I had a program of recovery that helped me through that and it eventually began to get easier.

There's lots of information and support here to help you make a plan to do that too. Just think, you never have to feel that way again if you're willing to put some work into it.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to the fight of your life.

You can do this.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Ready, I have been there and done that multiple times in the past. But at that time I did not have the support structure. You will find a lot of support and sobriety here. I am on my day 2 here after relapse. Spend time here and you will find the help and resources. Proud of you for taking the 1st step.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, Readytodothis. I'm new here, too, and tired of being depressed and embarrassed. So many days wasted feeling like this that I'm just done.

No further words of advice, just want you to know you're not alone.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all....the really sad thing is that my s/o just hit 3 years sober yesterday.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have always found that getting to the point where you are no longer try to rationalize why you can continue to keep drinking is was of the most important mind frame to reach.

Once I made the made the decision NOT to ever go backwards, no matter what life throws at me, no how much I have to fight for myself..just keep moving forward.....even if you have to crawl
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard readytodothis

D
Old 01-31-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome ready
From another ready
Old 01-31-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome - and yes, I tried just 'drinking at weekends', as well as one day on, one off and various other combinations to drink more like 'normal people' - well to feel less crap in reality. I concluded long before I actually decided to try to quit for good that alcohol addiction, at least for me, is an all or nothing game.

All the best in your efforts!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Ready from another newbie, I have tried to convince myself that I am a weekend drinker to but I know that when I'm away from my wife and child I would drink every night if I could, so I want to stop it now as from what I have read on here it's a progressive illness that just gets worse.
Good luck you can do it.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been drinking for the past 4 days, pretty much nonstop.

The hangovers are so bad now

Been there, done that.

It sounds to me like you are drinking to avoid the pain of an awful hangover. That means that you are physically addicted, and the only safe, and relatively painless way out of this mess, is to get medical help. Don't be shy, the typical Dr. has seen this many times and can help you safely detox.

Once you get past the physical detox, you need to work on the behavioral and emotional side of your drinking problem. That's were this website, and groups like AA come in.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Welcome ready. Keep reading, keep posting. Let us know how your doing....
Old 01-31-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Ready. As everyone has said there is lots of support here. You should also perhaps join the class of Febuary 2017. You can do this. X
Old 01-31-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Ready! This is a great place to help you get and stay sober. I know it's scary in the beginning but it is a learning process and be patient with yourself. As time it goes on it does get easier. Keep posting, people are very supportive on this site and it really helps to have a connection to others who have gone through and understand what you are experiencing. I am still in very early sobriety and I do feel so much better when I am on the brink after I have reached out on this site. There are great stories of sobriety on this site too. They are really inspiring. Welcome again!!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 1 again . Up and forcing myself to go.to work. I'm gonna do this! Thanks for the support!