Notices

Blood pressure

Old 01-30-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUK

Blood pressure

48 hours without alcohol. Just taken my BP and it's around 170/110. Middle of the night hear and I am scared. Still the pains in my left arm. Did anyone ever have BP this high and see it go down?
Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't offer any medical advice, but it's best to be cautious and call your dr or go to the hospital if you're concerned. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

Good for you for getting through Day 2.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mine did go up when I quit in the early stages but then went down the stress of quitting doesn't help either. I would go see your doctor when you can and get it checked out be honest with your doctor so they know what's going on. Also check a few times I found mine varied quite a bit sometimes up others down. If it goes much higher you probably do want to visit A&E. For goodness sake dont "self medicate" with booze that will put it up. Good luck and hang in there, try to relax and breathe deeply.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did anyone ever have BP this high and see it go down?

Yes, me.

I saw a doctor and was placed on blood pressure medication. That was over 20 years ago. I take the same medication today as I did back then. My BP is very well controlled, it consistently is about 116 over 75.

See a doctor, this is a medical condition that can be easily managed.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree see a Dr - it's really no big deal...unless you ignore it.

D
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol causes high BP and especially when coming off it. Give it some time and it should go down. If not, then you need to see your doc to possibly get on meds for it.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi JUk,

The combination of high blood pressure, and pains in your left arm can signal something serious, or it could be something minor, however, you need to get to a doctor to figure out what is going on. Do you have someone who can take you?
Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUK

Yes I'm frightened it is something serious - I can't see another explanation. Don't have anyone to go with me unfortunately
Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JUK View Post
Yes I'm frightened it is something serious - I can't see another explanation. Don't have anyone to go with me unfortunately
Can you call 911? Let them know your symptoms. Let us know what they say.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JUK

Not an option - my children are asleep and I don't want them to be frightened. I will try to see GP tomorrow
Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not an option - my children are asleep and I don't want them to be frightened. I will try to see GP tomorrow
Ok, try to rest, but if it gets worse and you are scared call. Please let us know what the doctor says tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUK

Just looking over my old posts and seeing how many chances I had to stop for good, how much good advice I had at times when I could have stopped before any physical symptoms started. So painful
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

48 hours without alcohol. Just taken my BP and it's around 170/110. Middle of the night hear and I am scared. Still the pains in my left arm. Did anyone ever have BP this high and see it go down?
Alcohol definitely raised my blood pressure. After a few days mine was fine, sometimes it takes a little longer, say a month, depending on each individual.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is you're doing something about it now.

*I'm not a Dr* but I do have high blood pressure and I suffer anxiety attacks from time to time.

It can feel very frightening, and it can mimic what I imagine a heart attack might be like...but it could be this is anxiety, too.

Pls do call your Dr tomorrow or someone or somewhere sooner if needed, but try not to worry too much, ok?

D
Old 01-31-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go to the urgent care or the emergency room (whatever it is where you are). There are medications that will help you keep your blood pressure down through detox.

Seriously, friends! It's one thing to attempt self detox, but when **** starts going awry you need to get yourself to a doctor right away! People die from alcohol detox. People die from abrupt benzo detox.

Emergency rooms deal with this all the time. Be proud that you're quitting (no shame!). I don't know about other countries, but emergency rooms in the US have to treat you, regardless of your ability to pay.

Don't risk death right before you change your whole life!

At worst, you will have to sit around for a really long time listening to squalling infants, and a tired nurse will give you some helpful medications. Not a great night, but c'mon, this is serious stuff. Same-same for panic attacks and depressive episodes that frighten you with their intensity.

I know we're all amazing and invincible, but actually not really so much!

Go to the hospital if it gets scary!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just noticed that you are worried to frighten the kids.

Call a neighbor, a friend, or your brother to stay with them, then take a taxi.

If you read this in the morning, check your BP again, & if you are still frightened, please call your GP & tell them it is an emergency. If they cannot see you immediately, go elsewhere.

It's ok to be worried & scared. Please go to the doctor...