Notices

One day turns to 4

Old 01-30-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day turns to 4

Quit for 10 days. Meet up with an old captaian/ boss. It was natural to have a drink and talk. Told myself just one but that was 4 days ago. I'm lost I like to drink and had lots of fun in the keys. But I know alcohol will be my downfall. Yet I still like my proper rum and coke. I'm kind of on the **** it don't care single attitude or the life is good sober attitude

Last edited by Dee74; 01-30-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying. Drinking is fun for a while. Some of my best memories are when I was partying. Some of the nicest people I met was when I was either drinking or drugging. The problem was that the drinking and partying started going far beyond the party. My friends would eventually be done with the drinking and call it a night. I did to for a while, but eventually they would be done but I wasn't. That party on Saturday night turned into a weekend of drinking. That weekend of drinking eventually turned into several days of drinking, etc. It then turns into a lifestyle. Eventually the party ends and the nightmare begins. It's not fair and it's not fun, but it's the reality many of us have to face sooner or later. The sooner you see this, the less damage you will have to face in the future. Something to think about. John
Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

One of those attitudes will probably kill you, and the other one is true, only your addiction can't/won't let you believe that , because then It's over.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know you came here to this site, as we all did, because we knew we were in trouble. Stay, quit, get your life back.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I'd focus on the reasons why you came here to SR - forget the party animal in your head.

It really does not care about anything else but keeping the party going.

You might go for years this way - but sooner or later you'll run out of luck and lose everything you hold dear, your career, those you love...

sooner or later, you might have an accident, hurt yourself or someone else, destroy your liver, get wet brain, get pancreatitis, have a stroke, develop a cancer.

All those things are seriously things you have a much higher chance of facing as a regular alcoholic drinker.

It's so much more than just that next drink at stake.
The partys not so much fun if you look back at it.

D
Old 01-31-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the posts. This place really helps me out.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah I'd focus on the reasons why you came here to SR - forget the party animal in your head.

It really does not care about anything else but keeping the party going.

You might go for years this way - but sooner or later you'll run out of luck and lose everything you hold dear, your career, those you love...

sooner or later, you might have an accident, hurt yourself or someone else, destroy your liver, get wet brain, get pancreatitis, have a stroke, develop a cancer.

All those things are seriously things you have a much higher chance of facing as a regular alcoholic drinker.

It's so much more than just that next drink at stake.
The partys not so much fun if you look back at it.

D
This, nearly word for word, was the rationale that finally made me embrace sobriety and recovery. It's like one of those motivational posters you put on a wall and look at every day when you wake up.

Crazychef - I hope you are able to say goodbye to alcohol forever and see how illusory the party really is.

ABW1
Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Chef- I remember you from a little while back and what you posted. Glad you made it back and are sober now. Your life does involve a world that contains/encourages/celebrates lots of drinking - but you don't have to. I work in a restaurant and I do know a good number of servers, bartenders, GMs etc who don't drink, whether in recovery or not. It is possible.

Are there AA meetings on the ship? Online meetings are another source. If you choose to quit- you sound like you are seriously waffling and not ready- you can find support here and elsewhere to put a plan of action into place.

Hope you stay around and sober this time. It can be your last start. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of my best memories are when I was partying. Some of the nicest people I met was when I was either drinking or drugging.

I think this is what causes lots of people problems, we are trying to relive past times and events,(weddings holidays etc) these memories all involved drink or drugs and we believe we can recreate similar good times if we carry on. I bet if we had never drunk / took drugs these memories would still be great (probably remember a lot more to&#128512. I have loads of good memories from my childhood and I am hoping that by remaining sober I will start to enjoy life and have great memories again.
Be strong and remember that your AV will try and convince you that you can moderate, if that's true why do so many of us keep coming back to SR.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

That one day off from sobriety can easily turn into a week or even years. I took a day off in May 2016 and poof, there goes the month of May in a mountain of empty beer cans before I could blink. Then it's extremely difficult and both mentally and physically tortuous to get back on track. You end up paying dearly for that little transitory pleasure, maybe even with your life long-term.