Notices

Just need some advice

Old 01-30-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just need some advice

I am just looking for some advice back off the drink at day 2 anxiety is crippling me but I'll get threw it. I am thinking of going back on Antabuse as it's the only thing that s helped me get some long term sobriety but because it can cause drowsiness i would not be able to work as my job is safety critical on the railway. I just don't no what to do
Old 01-30-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

keep on communicating.

pick something that needs to be done like washing up, tidying something, prepare a meal (avoid processed foods) etc and do it even if it means swearing or crying or whatever while doing it.

go for a walk. Set a time and do it.

etc keep it simple.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What worked for me in very early days
- AA meetings, by and large saved my ass
- Talking to other alcoholics.. phone, coffee even online
- Trying to get out of my head and being aware of when I was in there. One guy at an early meeting told me if you notice you're in your head whirring around, just try to look at a tree or a plant or the sky and focus your attention on it, just look and do nothing. It will help snap out of thought loops
- Eckhart Tolle audio books also helped me. In fact any recovery audio material really helped me a lot. Close my eyes and just zone out and listen for 30-45 minutes
- Meditation - I use a basic app called 'smiling mind' which has super easy through to more challenging guided meditations

I wish you all the best and if you need to chat feel free to PM
Old 01-30-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome- lots of info at SR. Prayers to you.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hodor View Post
- AA meetings, by and large saved my ass
- Talking to other alcoholics.. phone, coffee even online
- Trying to get out of my head and being aware of when I was in there. One guy at an early meeting told me if you notice you're in your head whirring around, just try to look at a tree or a plant or the sky and focus your attention on it, just look and do nothing. It will help snap out of thought loops
Good advice.

I am 98 days sober and I still have anxiety. We may never be free from anxiety.

For 27 years I drowned my anxiety with booze until the booze didn't work. Now I have to deal with my thoughts and anxiety 24/7.

Try to stay mindful and stay out of your head - focus on other things and try not to get stuck in the endless cycle of negative thoughts.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi alex

no advice just experience

meetings
sponsor
steps
service
higher power

God bless

and let us know how youre doing
Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like what Grymt said. It worked a lot for me. Washing dishes by hand, folding laundry, washing the floors. Just getting up and moving helped with the anxiety. Jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles. And reaching out and talking about it.

I don't know what to say about the antabuse. I had a prescription at one point but never ended up taking it.

You can do this. It is painfully hard sometimes. But it can be done. I also like the swearing and crying suggestion. I did a fair bit of that too.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never heard of antabuse causing drowsiness - maybe your dr might be able to suggest something else, alex?

D
Old 01-30-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I've never heard of antabuse causing drowsiness - maybe your dr might be able to suggest something else, alex?

D
I will make an appointment just my regular doctor is on holiday and i only see him. I never felt any drowsiness but it's on the list supposedly. I still have some just thinking it could get me threw untill my doctor's back
Old 01-30-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would think being hungover or drunk would be significantly worse than some drowsiness from the meds. Just my own opinion but if it works to keep you sober I would go with it.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Was on antabuse and didn't experience any drowsiness, it's not a long term solution but will give you time to work on a recovery plan.