SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Need help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/404102-need-help.html)

Pressmetilihurt 01-29-2017 09:14 PM

Need help

Hi. I went to a meeting, swept the floor then drank today. Ugh. My sponsor said I need to take this seriously. I need help. What helped u?

columbus 01-29-2017 09:17 PM

"What helped u?"

In all seriousness, not drinking.

Being willing to suffer a bit, pay the price of my stupidity.

PhoenixJ 01-29-2017 09:29 PM

Yep- not drinking. Just because I stopped drinking did not mean the sober fairy granted me life long happiness and all things good. The rewards- that means doing stuff when I hate doing it. I wash out toilets, empty stinking bins of rotting food- I do it because I have to make the effort with every thing. If I do not like it- I try harder. If I hate it more- I try even harder. A drunk, crazy mixed up mess that I was with out alcohol leaves a sober mixed up crazy mess. That needs work too.
Keep going to meetings. Keep posting. Keep trying.
Prayers to you. PJ

Dee74 01-29-2017 09:34 PM

I think continually adding things to my plan until whatever I did or whatever I went I had an alternative to drinking.

Something as small as committing to posting here first,. even simply to help someone else in trouble, made all the difference to me - it could make all the difference to you too?

D

Delilah1 01-29-2017 09:39 PM

Hello,

I'm glad you went to a meeting. Do you still have alcohol in your house? If so, get rid of it.

What helped me was finally saying enough. I got sick of alternating between periods of sobriety and failed attempts at moderation. I was sick of waking up fuzzy headed, sick of dragging to get through the day, and knowing that I might have been productive, but was in no way living up to my full potential. I got sick of being a good enough mom, wife, friend, employee, person, and wanted to be my best me in each if those circumstances. I took alcohol completely off the table.

In the beginning i needed to plan out my evenings: long walk, actitives with kids, bubble bath, reading, journaling, home project, Netflix series, time posting on SR. I needed to keep myself busy. Gradually those things just became part of my daily routine and I stopped obsessing about drinking. The physical want went away pretty quickly, the mental took a little longer.

I am now one year, and almost one month sober, and it is rare when I think about drinking. However, I still read and post here daily, and do other things that are part of my recovery, because they are good for making me a better me.

You can do this. I promise it is worth it!

❤️Delilah

Lorax1981 01-29-2017 11:05 PM

I had quit cigs but ramped up my drinking and pot but had a bad hangover one day and finally said "forget this crap". That was the start, a little later I quit the pot and it was so hard that I knew I had to stay sober or go through it all again someday.

january161992 01-30-2017 07:45 AM

hi press

i went to meetings and drank for a while

keep going

and great job on sweeping the floor

stay involved

:tyou

Dee74 01-30-2017 01:24 PM

How are you today Press?

D