Notices

Obsession, addiction

Old 01-29-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Obsession, addiction

I have an addictive obsessive personality. Anything I do is alway too much too fast. Too much alcohol, drugs even when I get a soda or water I drink it as fast as I can. Now in recovery is it possible to obsess over a good thing? I go to the gym and it seems like I am filling one addiction with obsessing over another, the gym. Is that normal? Anyone else have these thoughts?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Fatboyanon View Post
I have an addictive obsessive personality. Anything I do is alway too much too fast. Too much alcohol, drugs even when I get a soda or water I drink it as fast as I can. Now in recovery is it possible to obsess over a good thing? I go to the gym and it seems like I am filling one addiction with obsessing over another, the gym. Is that normal? Anyone else have these thoughts?
Obsessing over recovery is a good thing. I know some people who try not to obsess over anything but the way I see it is you can obsess over healthy things like exercise or going to a specific place you enjoy.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chasing a buzz is what addicts do, the excerise in the gym releases endorphins which you can get addicted to. I would try to avoid obessions and compulsions if you can, break the cycle where possible. It's too easy to end up in familiar paths which can lead you back to your original addiction.

Still you definately need to fill the void, just try to rebalance a bit if you can.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have an addictive personality, too. For me, trying to maintain balance in my daily life is really important. It keeps me grounded.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Fatboyanon View Post
I go to the gym and it seems like I am filling one addiction with obsessing over another, the gym. Is that normal? Anyone else have these thoughts?
I see the term addiction thrown around a lot.

I've quit drinking, and now I'm addicted to sparkling water...SR...Coke Zero...the gym, whatever."

Is the gym making your life unmanageable? If it is, be concerned. If not, enjoy.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

By definition active alcoholics do not live a balanced life, so when we begin sobriety I believe it is a high priority to constantly be doing some "self inventory" to keep our lives in balance. Too much of anything is not good.