Notices

Feeling rough. 6 weeks in.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling rough. 6 weeks in.

I am not ok right now. I was at the Dr.s last week and all is good except that I have this sinus infection for the last few weeks and my head is pounding and my ears are ringing. Apparently they can last for a long time. Funnily enough the last time I quit I caught a terrible virus 3 weeks in (same this time only strep throat last time). My anxiety is sky high right now. I could take a tylenol sinus but I find that any medication at all makes me feel weird even if it kills the headache- I don't know which is worse. I know that this is all part of the healing process but right now it is so difficult. the rough part is that I have trouble sleeping at nights and I want to sleep all day. I am all turned around. Sorry for the rant I just needed to vent a bit.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day 29 and I'm telling you I'm with you..started eating..no soda..now it's coffee and juices..but now I'm sick and been on couch for 4 days..I was feeling so good..then bam! Hang in there we can do this.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm 100+ days in and at 6 weeks I felt like **** nearly everyday. Even now I have bad days, even a couple of days in a row sometimes, but it has gotten better. Now I feel I have more good then bad.

I have a bad cold as well, but at least I'm not hungover. Getting colds is part of life. We probably didn't noticed as much because our focus was on booze and not the illness.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did the dr give you antibiotics? I know they are giving them less these days but if you have a fever maybe revisit that? Cold meds do make my anxiety worse and frankly not sure if they'd really help a sinus infection.

Maybe ask your dr about homeopathic stuff? Tea tree oil is a miracle but definitely ask a qualified homeopathic dr about its use....that's my PSA!

Hang in there. It gets better.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Michbish! Oh no, is it the flu? Congrats on 29 days, almost a full month! Yeah it's around this time I think where the body is really kicking in to the no alcohol coming ever and catching viruses is common. I hope you feel better soon. After posting my I watched Risky Drinking on youtube last night and it was a great reminder on why I quit. We can definitely do this! I never want to go back.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks ljk 267, it's soo true, drinking, we are so focused on the hangover whatever virus is about is secondary and more debilitating. wow 100+ days-Amazing. thank you for telling me about your experience at this stage. It's funny, how after all those years of abuse I expect to be in top shape as soon as I stop drinking!
frickaflip- yes, she gave me a prescription for antibiotics and a name for a steroid nasal spray and told me to try that first before. So I did that and it made my nose feel better in some ways but somehow whatever steroids are it really didn't feel healthy to me to take. I definitely think it caused the ringing in my ears to get worse. funnily enough last night I had put some essential oils in a pot and put my head over it (eucalyptus and wintergreen) I also have teatree, I will try that today. I do in fact feel much better than I have in weeks. Thank you for tip!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought the same thing. I figured I'd stop and 2 weeks later be brand new. Really I did. Found out I was wrong. I know this, I'm better off now then I was.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
I'm 100+ days in and at 6 weeks I felt like **** nearly everyday. Even now I have bad days, even a couple of days in a row sometimes, but it has gotten better. Now I feel I have more good then bad.

I have a bad cold as well, but at least I'm not hungover. Getting colds is part of life. We probably didn't noticed as much because our focus was on booze and not the illness.
This is similar to my experience, also. I share here often that I was VERY sick when I quit and had to just come back to life at first. I went through several months of PAWS and physical stuff - huge fatigue not to mention what I think of as all the alcohol and its effects rolling out of my body from head to toe- and I too saw things shift around 100 days.

Vent away- don't drink- hang in there. I promise it takes time and it does get better. Take care of yourself - glad you have dr support too.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi August,

Thanks for that. Same here, I've had crazy fatigue. I was beginning to think I was anemic. My dr. might as well be a highschool friend at this point because I go in for tests often!! All checks out well but the first months of sobriety are the worst as far as ups and downs and viruses. I basically force myself out into the world until it feels comfortable. But all of it is an extreme effort at first. PAWS alone should be enough to make one quit for good. But last time I had 20+ months and here I am again and I know what's to come! So you are 5 months in? How are you feeling now?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
Hi Michbish! Oh no, is it the flu? Congrats on 29 days, almost a full month! Yeah it's around this time I think where the body is really kicking in to the no alcohol coming ever and catching viruses is common. I hope you feel better soon. After posting my I watched Risky Drinking on youtube last night and it was a great reminder on why I quit. We can definitely do this! I never want to go back.
It's respiratory infection..taking antibiotic...but as I lay here noticing every pain in every nook and cranny...I never used to feel this because I would numb it with alot of alcohol..but no pain ..no gain..right!?