Notices

Alcohol use disorder vs alcoholic

Old 01-28-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol use disorder vs alcoholic

Do you think there is difference between "alcohol use disorder" and alcoholic?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does it matter?
They're only labels. If you need to get sober you can call it whatever you want.
Just get sober.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
waking down

I believe it does matter when it comes to how we approach recovery. If we look at the DSM-5 criteria for substance use disorder, we can develop a recovery plan that specifically focuses on those areas where our substance use has most affected us. We can develop targeted interventions for ourselves and/or with a counselor. For me and for many others, the terms "alcoholic" and "alcoholism" come with a lot of baggage, often a lot of preconceived notions and prejudices and stereotypes, and for me just too much of a sense of fatalism. I prefer to say I had substance use disorder than I am alcoholic. That said, now that I now longer meet criteria for substance use disorder, I am fully aware that returning to substance use would be a poor choice because my brain is wired to be a buzzhound.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Medical guidelines distinguish a difference, and I agree there are two separate alcohol abuse disorders with binge/problem drinkers and full blown alcoholics.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Medical guidelines distinguish a difference, and I agree there are two separate alcohol abuse disorders with binge/problem drinkers and full blown alcoholics.
So what's the difference?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

It took too long for me realize that my Beast ( a term I use for my addiction, I got it from learning about AVRT, there are great threads here on SR in the Secular Connections forum) will always react the same way to alcohol and that is basically to always want more. Either getting 'too' intoxicated or continuing to get intoxicated 'too' much. Nothing I could do short of not drinking had any real effect.
It is/was a very costly lesson to learn, in mind , body and soul. No matter how we label that reaction , the only lasting solution is to choose permanent abstinence.
That choice is available to everyone and is the workable solution.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In aa, it's pretty much expected that you say "I'm an alcoholic" instead of saying "I have an alcohol use disorder" or "substance abuse problem"
Old 01-28-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Beingsober View Post
In aa, it's pretty much expected that you say "I'm an alcoholic" instead of saying "I have an alcohol use disorder" or "substance abuse problem"
And the addiction(Beast speaking through the AV) will always tell me to accept any label, or spend time refuting any label, or becoming preoccupied with delineating distinctions and not focus on the one workable solution.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

AUD/Alcoholic
Drunk/Wino
Blackout/Passed out
Sloshed/Drunk
In his cups/had way too many

Dead/Deceased

I prefer to discuss the semantics of;
Hope/Faith
Regrets/Amends
Honesty/Truthful
Peace/Joy
Serenity/Calmness

Recover/Recovered

Life well lived....................................Today
Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In SMART we don't say alcoholic or use labels, because we are 'so much more than that '. I've only just joined SMART by the way I don't really know what's going on yet lol.I don't care I just have to keep off it and learn with groups and therapy how to manage life without it.
If there is a scientific difference and recovery can be tailored to the different needs then that's great.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Alcohol Use Disorder" (AUD) is mainly a medical term. Being diagnosed with AUD opens the doors to various forms of treatment in a medical setting, as well as qualifying the patient for help with paying for this treatment from insurers who offer coverage for substance abuse. The diagnosis for AUD is determined by a medical professional, as guided by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM).

"Alcoholism" these days is mainly an AA term, and provides a basis for identifying the problem and seeking the solutions offered by the AA program. It's a term both more vague and more restrictive than AUD. More vague because the "diagnosis" is up to you -- only you can decide if you are "alcoholic." More restrictive because in AA, the idea is that there is a line separating mere "problem drinkers" from "real alcoholics," and for the latter, no human agency can provide a cure.

In practical terms, the difference isn't really relevant. Labels are just labels. They don't actually mean anything. If you think you have a problem with alcohol and are ready to do whatever is required in order to remove it, then it doesn't really matter what you call yourself so long as you are honest, open, and willing in your pursuit of recovery.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I prefer alcohol-dependent to alcoholic. There are different degrees of dependency along a specific scale. Alcoholism is a broad brush term, and not used in the current DSM.
I say this because I believe alcohol dependency , while it has has commonalities, is often specific to the individual. Just my opinion, however.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
waking down

This is relevant reading: https://www.verywell.com/compare-dsm...ce-abuse-22255

Note that the use of the terms "substance abuse" and "dependence" are outdated as far as the DSM and diagnosis are concerned. The newer terminology for diagnosis is substance use disorder, mild, moderate, or severe.

I used to spank my beers, but I don't know if I abused them.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

'Alcoholic' is a loaded term. It isn't neutral and it carries a lot of baggage. It also generates a degree of judgmnentalism from the general public in my opinion as well as associated images of down and outs, drunks in back alleys and utterly ruined lives.

As mentioned above there is a tradition in AA to introduce yourself when you share as an 'alcoholic'. There is a degree of peer pressure to do so - unspoken though it is.

Personally I quite like that. It is like stepping over a threshold and accepting the harsh reality of your condition and if like me, you were never a two bottle of spirits a day drinker, when you first say it, it can be tough.

I don't think it really natters though when it comes down to it. As ever, choose the word that you think will make it easier for you to deal with it and combat the bastard thing.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

#Scuse the spelling above. Too late to edit it - spell checker on my browser seems to be kaput.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beingsober View Post
Do you think there is difference between "alcohol use disorder" and alcoholic?
imo, exactly what alcoholism would want someone with a drinking problem to be thinking about rather than solutions to a drinking problem.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As a binge drinker, without physical daily dependence on alcohol (more a psychological "escape reality" relationship with it), I don't consider myself "alcoholic" but believe I have a substance-use disorder.

In the rooms of AA, I feel pressure to identify as an alcoholic & often do so to honor the shared ritual of the group.

I never use the word alcoholic when describing myself to people. I feel it is inaccurate & heavily loaded with preconception.

I mostly say "I do better when I don't drink" or "alcohol's not good for me."
I have identified as an ex-addict to outside people (& I do use the "ex" part, because it's over & done). I feel that's accurate, but state it rarely outside the recovery community.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering

The terms 'alcoholism' and 'alcoholic' seem to be going out of favour these days.

I wonder if that is because the people who decide what terms to use haven't really experienced it themselves. I don't go to AA but I relate to very much in the Big Book. They were alcoholics and they knew what it was about. I relate to the Big Book, and the terms 'alcoholism' and 'alcoholic' much more than some more modern talk that avoids those terms and also suggests that moderation is possible (because lots of us know that just is not true). I have a close relative who won't identify as an alcoholic and refuses to accept that he can't drink at all ever again (he's gone on treatment programs that have told him he can learn to drink moderately - stupid, stupid people!). Alcohol is killing him; I am sure it will kill him unless a miracle occurs.

But I'm probably just an old-fashioned recovering alcoholic.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If I drink I end up misusing alcohol. I suppose that means I have an alcohol use disorder. I call that disorder Alcoholism. I consider myself to be an alcoholic. But my misuse of alcohol was just one symptom. The other symptoms were my alcoholic thinking. I needed to address that as well as the alcohol use. Otherwise sobriety was pretty much intolerable in the end.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i remember early on with a therapist (long long ago) she said that i MIGHT have an "addictive personality" - considering the story i had just rattled off about alcohol, mda, crystal and an abusive BF, i'd say she was spot on.

what that DID was allow me to consider that maybe, just maybe, i had some issues around the substances i was consuming. and that maybe it wasn't exactly NORMAL. that maybe there was a problem.

there is no rule in AA that says you must introduce yourself as ANYTHING. it is historically accepted that most introduce themselves by name and as an alcoholic. cuz well, you ARE in a meeting OF ALCOHOLICS Anonymous after all. but you could introduce yourself as a grapefruit if you desire.

what it's called isn't the problem...........what happens after we consume alcohol (or drugs) IS.