Notices

Trying to be honest

Old 01-28-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to be honest

OK I'm being honest here forget all my other posts in them I thought I had this disease contained went a long time not drinking a long time then coming home from work in the evening thought I will go to the bar and have one pint can't do any harm.............I won't go into the details as you have all heard the old story repeated so many times.Stopped coming on here thought I'm not like the people on here I just like a few beers.Fast forward several months and my doctor call me at home to say she's concerned about my increase in alcohol she asked me how many I drank and I said about 24 beers a week (lies of course more like 50 tall cans and some rye sometimes two cans at3am to get back to sleep).......Anyway long and short of it one week sober I really realy need to be able to share and take part in this group I realy missed being away I know Imwont be judged here and realy depend on all of you for support.........As I say disregard all my last posts starting fresh and being honest with everybody even myself............
Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome. I recently rejoined so maybe we can help each other. I
Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just say whatever you need to say, we are here for you, being honest with yourself is a good start.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Joleah- you were telling the truth before- as you saw it. I have seen many let down their guard and think they can control alcoholism. For those who can- I admire, but I have not met any one yet. I remind myself every moment that it takes an almost instantaneous 'click' - not even thinking to pick up a drink. I need to have a permanent default in place- a switch to stop myself. Every time. It does not mean you are a failure. I will not fill up space with platitudes. You feel crap. OK- noted. So what can you do to break the cycle? What can you differently with a plan- with thought and action each and every day to grow and stay sober? How can you turn this around and learn from what has happened?
Prayers and support to you. PJ
Old 01-28-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back. Hope to see you around here.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a good place for drunks like me we are glad you're back Bob
Old 01-28-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Joleah. Honesty is one of the cornerstones of sobriety I believe, especially to ourselves. I hope SR can help you in your journey.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been lying about how much I drink for years. I think it is very common to feel ashamed or embarrassed. But I think you hit on a huge component about this entire thing is being honest with ourselves. I think it is hard to be dishonest and take the steps we need to to take care of ourselves.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome. Honesty is sooooo difficult for me. I lie ALL the time and don't really even know I'm doing it. And its little stuff. Stuff I don't even need to 'fudge' on, get away with, be dishonest about. Its really strange. I'd love to say that I've got it all sorted and I'm over it, but that would be a lie

One thing that is helping me is praying/setting my intention in the morning when I get up. If prayer isn't for you then just saying to oneself, I will be honest in all my affairs today, no matter what. Then at night, doing a kind of inventory, or soul searching. Going through my day and really asking myself 'where was I not honest?'. And for me dishonesty is sneaky. I don't have to be lying to be dishonest. Its all in motive and intent. Was I manipulative? That kind of thing. And if I find that I wasn't completely honest, I make an amends where I can, fast. I right the wrong. It helps.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2/2016

Welcome back. No need to lie here. We get it.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tks all and Sweetchick I'm glad you rejoined I feel better being honest....
Old 01-28-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Joleah!
Old 01-28-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
One thing that is helping me is praying/setting my intention in the morning when I get up. If prayer isn't for you then just saying to oneself, I will be honest in all my affairs today, no matter what. Then at night, doing a kind of inventory, or soul searching. Going through my day and really asking myself 'where was I not honest?'. And for me dishonesty is sneaky. I don't have to be lying to be dishonest. Its all in motive and intent. Was I manipulative? That kind of thing. And if I find that I wasn't completely honest, I make an amends where I can, fast. I right the wrong. It helps.
I really like this idea👍
Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Joleah
What's your plan to stay sober?

D
Old 01-28-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to have you back with us, Joleah. Plenty of encouragement here - many of us have done the same thing. Now you're back with renewed determination. You will do it.