Notices

Why is this getting harder ?!?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Unwound!
I am right there with you. I looked and it looks like we have the same sobriety date. I am really having a tough time as well. I was at the doctor this week and I am fine but honestly I don't feel fine at all. My sleep is all over the map amongst many other things. I have gone through this once before and it did take some time to level out. This is the rough part. It feels like my head is one big ball of stress and logically I know that it will just take time but right now it's kind of excrutiating and intense. It's at times like this I wish we hibernated and woke up healthy in 6 months time without all these kinks to iron out. Thank you for posting this, I was just lying in bed unable to sleep and came on here and read your post and saw that we had the same date. I know it gets much better but it's this time that is the toughest. It's hard when you can't get that instant immediate relief from discomfort. But it will, over time just get a bit easier.
Sending you much love and support.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone; it really helps. Smoking felt more immeadiatly traumatic I felt like I was losing a part of my brain and the cravings were intense but brief this is more insidious, feels like constant subtle pressure.

I am going to try a bit of massage and meditation today and see if I can get myself a litttle respite.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You've stopped drinking for 6 weeks, that's awesome.

But what else are you doing? Just "white-knuckleing" it day to day usually doesn't work long term and people end up eventually drinking again.

A program of recovery, which ever one you choose (and you will see many mentioned on this website) is often necessary to help people make the changes necessary in their attitudes, beliefs and behaviors to stay sober. For me, after years of thinking I could do it on my own, that program was AA. However, there are many others available. You don't have to do this all by yourself, find some face to face support.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me, when I get wound up in emotional stress, thats when the cravings come. It makes sense to me that I have cravings when I get into this state because the cravings are my minds attempt to feel better by reaching for a solution which numbs the emotional stress. The key thing which has helped me tremendously in the last 21 days is being mindful of when I'm in situations which cause that stress to increase, and actively work on doing things which will prevent the stress from increasing, by changing something about whats going on in that present moment (eg not engaging in a conflict, or not engaging in a behavior which winds me up, and in particular not engaging in thinking patterns which wind myself up).

Not allowing the stress to build up in the first place as best i can has really helped to not get myself to the point of having cravings. Its not easy. Stress can come quickly from a million different directions, but in my case trying to be mindful of my emotional state all the time has been helpful in helping me stay out of that danger zone, and consequently not have cravings. It has taken me a long time to be able to develop enough awareness to even recognize the signs. For me it generally comes with physical sensations of tightness in my upper chest or neck, or something like hot/cold flashes, increased heartrate, or similar physical experiences. As soon as I notice I'm experiencing those things I try to pause and attempt to do what I need to do to prevent the stress from increasing at that point. Ideally I do this before I have any kind of craving. Its kind of a constant thing.

Incidentally the main causes of this stress for me are the HALT situations, so being mindful of HALT is a huge part of it for me, especially at the end of the workday.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Physical exercise is a good way to de-stress. When I get agitated, I like to walk my dogs as a way to get out of my own head. I always feel better afterward.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Speaking for myself:

I've had to really take a serious look at how my choices and my own actions have contributed to the stress in my life or have increased it. Then, problem solve and try to make better choices; have better habits that will bring about less stressful consequences.

For example, if I pay my bills on time every time and have a good habit there....it does much to allay financial stress. If I get slack in that area, there is a DIRECT consequence to how much stress I'm gonna feel.

Also, with me, I've needed to strive to overcome procrastination. This is an area I've really struggled with. Nine times out of ten when I procrastinate it increases my stress.