SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Brain Fog Help! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/403916-brain-fog-help.html)

carlingford 01-29-2017 02:55 PM

Hi ThomPom, here are my answers to your questions:1) Did the brain fog endure for the same time (and intensity) as when you first started off being sober?

Yes and one month later I still have the poxy brain fog, I have learned to accept that time is the only cure along with sober living, exercise, vitamin's and eating properly and laughing too which will ease pain. Saying that, I think there is a correlation between the type of relapse and the amount and severity of the returned symptoms. My relapse consisted of 3 pints one night followed by 3 pints the following night. This was enough consumed on full stomach to bring the return of PAWs and the brain fog etc. I surmise that if I had gone on a bender and drank a bucket full to the extent of intoxication I would imagine that the PAWS return would have been 3 or 4 times their severity. This is only my personal opinion and not to be considered as medical advise.

2) I also had a slip after close to 5 month a couple of days ago and the brain fog was the most significant PAWS that came back up.

Yes, as I have learned, we are not normies and we have to come to terms that we are alcoholics and cannot drink alcohol ever again. We have crossed the Rubicon regards our threshold for the poison and we have rewired our brains due to excessive use, genes, binging etc. etc. Any use, no matter how little/ long, after we have been clean will reverse the brain back to its defective state and the return of PAWS. As far as I am aware there is no cure for this phenomena except complete abstinence. Again these are my thoughts on how I see it and not to be considered as medical facts. Anyone else who reads, please feel free to comment if you concur. Regards, C

Gr82bFree 01-29-2017 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 6306980)
Welcome to SR alcoholiday.

Congratulations on deciding to quit

It took about 10 or 11 months for the brain fog to finally disappear but I was further down the line than you and did not quit until I was 54 so hopefully yours should be less than that

This is where I am at right now, age included. (Have not stopped yet).

ThomPom 01-30-2017 12:25 AM

Thanks for your reply, Carlingford

I see it the same way you do. Maybe it’s a valuable lesson that makes it cut and clear that small amounts not only trigger addiction, but that one ruin her/his progress, having to go to the same ****** period again - which provides us an additional reason for staying completely teetotal, as you said before.

I am not the kind of guy who would drink myself to a blackout after the having first sip, but “on level”. I had close to a one bottle of wine, one beer, one small glass of liquor. I had no control after the first glass of wine, but could stop easily once on level. - after close to 5 month of abstinence, the exact same amount I had the time before sobriety. WTF.

Regarding the brain fog. The ability of the brain seems to be trainable. So I will engage in meditation and good old learning stuff by heart from flashcards to train it. On the other hand, it could be brain chemistry, depleting some neurotransmitter or any hormonal imbalances. There are lots of information on the internet on brain fog in general, but nothing specific on brain fog in sobriety. So time, proper nutrition, some supplements of the usual suspects may support healing over time (again).

Regards, T.