Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend binge drinkers- any blood pressure improvement after quitting?

Notices

Weekend binge drinkers- any blood pressure improvement after quitting?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There are many reasons including the alcohol, not the best diet, too much caffeine, stress, heredity, etc,.. Just keep up with your docs and they should help you with what path to take.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know this is an older thread, but I was interested to read - I am also a binge drinker, but have been sober since June 5, 2017. Before quitting, I'd had high blood pressure since my binge drinking accelerated, about 6 or 7 years ago. I wouldn't drink every day, and not even every week necessarily - sometimes I went for months without drinking (and then sometimes I drank every day for a week, or heavily for about a month. I just did not believe that this alone could be causing my blood pressure to be high, because I woood often have such long periods of abstinence). I am generally a healthy eater, but diet, exercise, and lots of water did not help my bp at all. I was frustrated because it doesn't run in my family. I had to take medicine to regulate it and it was still somewhat high at times. Without meds it would run between 160 and 195 over 110 to 130. With meds it was usually between 130 and 140 (during times of stress, it would spike to 150 or 160) over 90.

At the moment, I have not taken any blood pressure medicine in 2 months and my blood pressure has been consistently reading at about 115 over 70.
A few minutes ago I could feel myself getting stressed (got in an argument with my boyfriend) and I took my blood pressure just to see what effect (if any) it had on my bp - 130 over 83, which is the highest reading I've had lately (and I'm certain it was only temporary).
That said, I am taking 100 mg trazodone each night (to sleep) so that could be having an effect on my blood pressure. But overall, this is really a big motivating factor for me to stay sober - those headaches/pounding in ears type symptoms were not my favorite.
I'd be interested to hear others' experiences as well.

QUOTE=starcco;6306694]Hello all,

I have done a search but have not seen anything related to my specific situation. Hoping others here have the same or similar experience and can shed some light for me, as I am desperate for answers.

I have been a weekend binge drinker for many years. About a year ago my Dr. told me I have high blood pressure. I pretty much ate healthy but started exercising a few months ago. I have not seen any improvement so have been racking my brain as to what it could be. The Information from my dr. Is to eat healthy and exercise. This was very frustrating because I could not figure out why I would have high BP. I have always been healthy and figured those good habits would outweigh the weekend drinking of two to three bottles of liquor on the weekend. Sometimes one bottle Friday, one bottle Saturday, and 3/4 to one bottle Sunday. Sometimes it is one bottle Saturday and one on Sunday. But I am feeling that this could be the only other reason that could be contributing to my high BP. It just didn't dawn on me as I probably stupidly thought drinking a lot on the weekend would not be responsible for high blood pressure.

My questions are: does weekend binge drinking over many years cause consistently high blood pressure, and has anyone been a weekend drinker and when you abstained, did it help your blood pressure reach normal levels?

I am hoping to hear some of these experiences as this is my last resort to identifying the cause of my high BP and finally quit!

Thank you anyone who is willing to take your time to read this. Thank you![/QUOTE]