Notices

Feeling grateful

Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling grateful

I often look back and wonder why I didn't stop drinking sooner, I had attempted it so many times and failed....I dragged myself to meetings, could see how others lives had been changed and yet I just couldn't believe it for myself, I literally hated myself, hated sober people, social drinkers, heavy drinkers, animals and vegetables you get the jist - I hated everyone.....but I kept going back because for however much I didn't want to stop drinking, I did. For how much I hated myself, I knew I was loved by my family.

In AA I was given a listening ear, a kind word, a cup of tea...hope. And day by day the weight I felt so heavily for so long began to feel lighter, peace walked beside me and life without alcohol seemed possible.

Today I feel so grateful to the people who I have met on my journey, the help I've been shown by complete strangers who are now friends. I thought my life was over not drinking, it had just began. I'm a mum to my beautiful son, I play with him, put him to bed, he calls for me, looks into my eyes and I know I've been there for him. Id never had even had him if I hadn't got sober.

I just never thought I was worth it, but today I know I am.

I just had to share this, life gets better - take it from a (former) pessimist
Old 01-24-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it does get better!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The miracle of recovery and sobriety
doesn't happen over night. Right?

I often heard, don't leave before the
miracle happens which soon became
the hope that kept me returning back
day after day.

Good post...!!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! I feel the same way. Why didn't I do this sooner. Better later than never, I guess.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful post, FG
Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you that you have this nice feeling of gratitude . Being grateful for sobriety and the sober friends in your life is so important . I dont think there are many people here who wished they'd got sober a year ago , 2 years ,10 or 40 years ago . Your sober now thats all thats counts , well done .
Old 01-24-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
fgo

Thank you for that post.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foolsgold186 View Post
I often look back and wonder why I didn't stop drinking sooner, I had attempted it so many times and failed....I dragged myself to meetings, could see how others lives had been changed and yet I just couldn't believe it for myself, I literally hated myself, hated sober people, social drinkers, heavy drinkers, animals and vegetables you get the jist - I hated everyone.....but I kept going back because for however much I didn't want to stop drinking, I did. For how much I hated myself, I knew I was loved by my family.

In AA I was given a listening ear, a kind word, a cup of tea...hope. And day by day the weight I felt so heavily for so long began to feel lighter, peace walked beside me and life without alcohol seemed possible.

Today I feel so grateful to the people who I have met on my journey, the help I've been shown by complete strangers who are now friends. I thought my life was over not drinking, it had just began. I'm a mum to my beautiful son, I play with him, put him to bed, he calls for me, looks into my eyes and I know I've been there for him. Id never had even had him if I hadn't got sober.

I just never thought I was worth it, but today I know I am.

I just had to share this, life gets better - take it from a (former) pessimist
I felt the same way.

I wanted to stop drinking for years but I didn't know how I would function without alcohol. Alcohol was such a major part of my life I feared being without it.

I try not to regret all the time I wasted being wasted - it is in the past and I can't change it.

I am 92 days sober and I have my ups and downs but I feel better than when I was drinking.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great! And so true. I fight recovery tooth and nail. I'm not fighting right now but I'm only 5 months....I expect to have to continually push myself.

My HP was there all along....and I fought that simple, simple concept for years. I don't believe, there's no 'proof', I'm too intelligent for that, I don't need that, I'm not like that....then, if there's a god I'm not worth it, God has better things to do, it won't work for me, hey its not 'working' (as in why can't I drink normally now), its too much work etc etc. Wow. I made things so much harder than they had to be.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Foolsgold186 View Post
I literally hated myself, hated sober people, social drinkers, heavy drinkers, animals and vegetables
those damn animals and vegetables

they are the problem!

funny

laughing with you not at you

Old 01-24-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bravo Foolsgold186

D
Old 01-24-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just felt when I first stopped drinking I would never get anywhere, eventually the days stack up but what you learn about yourself is the true beauty of recovery - life isn't over, all is not lost - that if your open to change the world as you know it will never be the same. How bloody amazing is that!?

FG x