Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My name is Matt, i need support and would love to hear from you :)

Notices

My name is Matt, i need support and would love to hear from you :)

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Matt...glad you are here & think you've made some big steps in coming clean with your OH &. Talking to your Doc. You will find much support & encouragement!!
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TehWizz View Post
Taken my 2nd dose of Campral this morning. 2nd day of sobriety from alcohol. Another question is, what are some other ways of dealing with acute withdrawal if/when it hits, besides benzos??? Benzos are not a good idea for me to have around and i wouldnt be able to get them anyway. Campral has alot of conflicting info, some saying it helps through the WD phase, some saying its only good after. Thanks guys
I went through acute withdrawal about 18 months ago and the only thing I would recommend is seeing a doctor/going to a hospital. You can't mess about with it. Not trying to scare you but it can be llife threatening...
Has your prescribing doctor of the campral not discussed this with you?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank at least 3 bottles of wine a day for years. I would even throw in some vodka on occasion just for fun. I could swig an entire bottle of wine in about 20 mins. I stopped cold turkey and did not have physical withdrawals after the first couple of days. Even those couple of days were not that bad. The mental sucked though. Have you ever tried without medication?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Would suggest a program of some sort to get and maintain sobriety. If it was as simple as a few pills everyone would kick addiction and forums like this wouldn't be needed. AA may be a good start.

Reference Hodor in post 12 above, he's got it.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Matt
Im heading to 3 months sobriety and Im using this site only. It can be done but, you really have to want it. Keep going
Old 01-23-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome, Matt!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Matt! We aren't supposed to give medical advise but I can tell you my experience. I've gone through withdrawal with medical supervision and without. I was drinking a lot more than you. The last time was on my own. Lot's of water, as much as I can get down. Healthy foods. Melatonin to help me sleep, and when that wasn't working I took the recommended dosage of OTC sleep meds. You have already seen a doctor, so I suspect if you feel like things are getting wonky you won't be afraid to go back. That's good.

I think the biggest thing is just accepting that you are going to be uncomfortable for a few days, maybe as many as five. After you are done with acute withdraw you should really have a plan in place to stay quit. I know how easy it is to believe you are all better after taking a break. Most here would agree, that leads to drinking more than you were before you quit and the withdraws get worse each time. You can do this! Lot's of great support on this site. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I really appreciate that! I slipped up a bit earlier and had 1 drink as I think I was WDing a bit, as I cant do the diazepam thing I did this, I feel weak and disappointed, but its still early days... I know I can do this though.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

and Alaskagirl, Meletonin is really hard to get in decent dosages in Aus
Old 01-24-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

and Alaskagirl, Meletonin is really hard to get in decent dosages in Aus
I was prescribed melatonin tehwizz- can't remember the dose and it really didnt work that well for me but it's available in Australia. I'm thinking of giving it another try as it's a natural hormone and I have terrible insomnia
Old 01-24-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I was prescribed melatonin tehwizz- can't remember the dose and it really didnt work that well for me but it's available in Australia. I'm thinking of giving it another try as it's a natural hormone and I have terrible insomnia

What you got is probably Circaden, a slow-release mechanism, which really is very very stupid for meletonin and is also a very low miligram. Thats the one drs perscribe. I Imported 10mg capsules from America which did the job for me. Meletonin wont work slowly released, its a very silly thing really.
I think you an ask for a perscription for 6-7mg instant meletonin at a DR here, but you have to go to a compound pharmacy and it costs a fortune
Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

What you got is probably Circaden, a slow-release mechanism, which really is very very stupid for meletonin and is also a very low miligram. Thats the one drs perscribe. I Imported 10mg capsules from America which did the job for me. Meletonin wont work slowly released, its a very silly thing really.
I think you an ask for a perscription for 6-7mg instant meletonin at a DR here, but you have to go to a compound pharmacy and it costs a fortune
Yes I think you are absolutely right. Mine was Circadin...I thought melatonin was all the same- silly me!!! Sorry!!

I didn't find that it helped at all but am reluctant to try and other prescription sleeping medications because of my addiction issues!!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ustacallmelola View Post
I drank at least 3 bottles of wine a day for years. I would even throw in some vodka on occasion just for fun. I could swig an entire bottle of wine in about 20 mins. I stopped cold turkey and did not have physical withdrawals after the first couple of days. Even those couple of days were not that bad. The mental sucked though. Have you ever tried without medication?

I've drank a bottle a night for years but it increased to three for the last six months. I had the most terrible withdrawal, twitching shaking paralysis hallucinations the lot, and that was in a detox unit after meds! Just shows how different we all are doesn't it?! :-)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Yes I think you are absolutely right. Mine was Circadin...I thought melatonin was all the same- silly me!!! Sorry!!

I didn't find that it helped at all but am reluctant to try and other prescription sleeping medications because of my addiction issues!!
Ask for instant release melatonin from your doctor. The slow release kills the whole concept its a scam ahah..
Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Having a hard day today, don't particularly feel like a drink atm but mentally im pretty bad at the moment... bit of physical stuff too but ill hang in there.

Oh also, its Australia Day here. Which basically means to aussies, The day where we have a BBQ and get as absolutely drunk as humanly possible. Im staying home today :P Although I could go for some BBQ food hahahaha.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

It doesn't mean that to all Aussies Matt - I'm just chilling at home
We'll both be glad tomorrow we stayed sober today

D
Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Matt - Looks like the Aussies are all over this board

With regard to Campral, I never took it because (as I recall) it was to control cravings. And you had to take it a LOT. That's something I'm not good at.

I did use Naltrexone which helped me for a while, however I drank through the effect it had on me in order to get drunk. In my case, Naltrexone made me feel ill - dizzy etc - when I drank.

Eventually I took the scary drug Antabuse. Because it scared me into not drinking. Only took it for a couple of months, but it was enough for me. Now 2 years sober.

As with all drugs, don't take advice from people on the internet. See your doctor. We can only tell you about our experiences. Not whether it's right for you.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you today Matt?

D
Old 01-26-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenDonuts View Post
Hi Matt - Looks like the Aussies are all over this board

With regard to Campral, I never took it because (as I recall) it was to control cravings. And you had to take it a LOT. That's something I'm not good at.

I did use Naltrexone which helped me for a while, however I drank through the effect it had on me in order to get drunk. In my case, Naltrexone made me feel ill - dizzy etc - when I drank.

Eventually I took the scary drug Antabuse. Because it scared me into not drinking. Only took it for a couple of months, but it was enough for me. Now 2 years sober.

As with all drugs, don't take advice from people on the internet. See your doctor. We can only tell you about our experiences. Not whether it's right for you.
I agree- I'd be seeing your doctor too
Old 01-26-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ive seen my dotor heaps, my partner is also a registered pharmacist and dr of medical sciencet so if I have medication advice I trust her wayyy over a doctor, she advises doctors.. haha... The advice I was asking is for peoples personal experiences ,I have every resource I could ever need in this house, stuff not on google

How am I today?? I had my first sleepless night , only just up outta bed from trying. Feeling ok.. Feel like the Campral is doing wonders, I don't feel like a drink at all but im copping the side effects from not drinking. Ive even tried to think about my old drinking routine and if it would appeal to me, and it doesn't, not at all. Which is really good. My first thought in the morning was always "Ok, get 3 dollars, go for a ten min walk and get secretly drunk"

Now that thought seems useless, damaging and disgusting. So yeah. Still early days. But I guess im doing ok. For now Ill be in chat a lot of today if anyone wants to pop in