Notices

Quitting the Binges Finally

Old 01-22-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting the Binges Finally

Hello there. I'm new here, been lurking the forums for a while and decided to join once I decided to do something about my drinking.

First of all, a note on my usage. For the last 10-11 years I have been a pretty regular binge drinker. Since late high school on, going out with the boys. Typically between 2-4 times a week. Less in the beginning, but has progressed to the point where I will drink Friday-Sunday if I can find any excuses to do so. I'd say each night out would result in anywhere from 12-20 drinks consumed. Sometimes 20+ on ocassions where I would party all day/night. I'd say blacking out once or twice in a month was pretty regular, and for the life of me I cannot remember anytime I have gone more than a week without getting drunk. I have usually been good about cleaning up during the week, only to go right back down the same path each weekend. I had tricked myself into thinking this is normal/healthy behavior because I know many who do the same and was under the impression my body was healing after a few short days off.

I'm 30 now and really sick of the toll this lifestyle has taken on my professional life as well as personal relationship with my fiancé. We tend to enable each other's drinking habits and have both decided to take a serious step back.

Where I am now: I decided to quit for the month of January at a minimum to see how I would feel and have been doing well. As of this posting (22 days in) I have drank twice with my fiancé (and drank too much each time) but haven't had a drop in 8 days now.

I had some early bouts with withdrawls. Sleeping issues, tiredness, some panic type attacks that have now subsided. I would experience these after most binges as well.

Im beginning to notice some other issues and wondering how commonplace they are, how long they should last, etc. I've noticed a pretty substantial change in how often I urinate (much more frequently now). Maybe I am just fully hydrated and wasnt before? I usually drank loads of water after bouts of drinking and on my days off but this now seems like i drink way less but pee more. I'm also having off and on abdominal discomfort/back pain. I have a history of indigestion/heartburn and used to eat tums like candy because of my drinking/diet. I have been eating cleaner but 2 nights this week I have woken up with nausea, I'm guessing related to indigestion? Maybe my organs are angry for all the booze I have ran through there and are now getting their senses back lol. I suppose I never associated quitting binge drinking with a more long term withdrawl/recovery because of the days off during the week I would take.

Any thoughts and or perspectives on what to expect and possible timelines would be greatly appreciated. How much cleaning up and repair does my body have ahead of itself? I know I likely need to see a physician and I do plan on doing this once my new insurance is effective. This is my first post of many most likely! Thanks to all!

Love,
GPG
Old 01-22-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome and congratulations on 8 days!

As far as the physical changes, I think my body settled down after about 30 days and that's when I started incorporating some light exercise too.

There's lots of good advice on the threads and amazing support from members.

Keep it up and hang in there!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)