Notices

Blackout

Old 01-21-2017, 10:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was a blackout drinker. It was really scary. Later in my drinking career it started to happen with less alchohol. I recently read that a blackout isn't forgetting what happened, instead our brains are so damaged by the alchohol in our system they don't record what is happening. That is terrifying to me. I haven't had a drink since I read that, and I'll never drink again.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Beingsober View Post
Yeah it is really scary. And I'm thankful I had someone with me that I trust. It was only the second time in my life that I blacked out. He first time was years ago. And I have drank more than what I drank on nye.

I guess the worst part for me is even if I don't blackout, I think through every single interaction I had, every text message (I get wayyyyyyy chatty), I have to try and. Gauge if anyone is upset with me. WhenI am actually drinking, I have to try to not appear drunk. I sneak extra drinks when I can get away with it. I have to brush my teeth even more so I won't taste like alcohol. So much pretending.
IMO you definitely have a problem. It gets worse.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank HEH VUH LEE off and on for 30 plus years and never had a blackout.

Just lucky, I guess.

Or UNlucky, as experiencing that probably would have brought my drinking career to an earlier halt.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A plan for the next time you want to drink. Do a search here and you will find lots of info about it and ideas. Also reasearch HALT.

One of the best things about this place is that it has really educated me and opened my eyes and knowledge is power.

Hope to see you around.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans.1.html
Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey there BeingSober. How are you doing?

Is it that unusual to have a blackout? No - not if you drink to excess and/or are an alcoholic. For people without a drinking problem - yes, it's just not going to happen (or at least not happen more than once in a lifetime; 'normal' people would never let something like that happen a second time even if they were daft enough to drink to oblivion the first time).