Notices

Almost 2 months sober.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 2 months sober.

Hello everyone. Today marks my 57th day of alcohol sobriety. The past couple weeks have been pretty good, and the urges to drink have been nonexistent. The lack of urges was a wonderful change of pace, compared to the first month.

In an attempt to improve myself and stay on the path of sobriety, I figured I'd breach my shell and make a post on these forums. Perhaps I'll inspire somebody else along the way. I chose today, not only for coming up on two months of being alcohol free, but because when alcohol came into my mind, I felt indifferent. Today has been dull and a bit depressing, so my mind immediately drifted to alcohol. I was able to think about the consequences of drinking, and put it out of my mind. A month ago, I would have spent the entire day driving myself insane while trying to avoid getting a bottle of vodka.

I first started drinking as soon as I hit 21. Looking back, I should never have even tried alcohol. Between crippling anxiety (writing this post alone, my hands are shaky) and chronic nightmares, it was a recipe for disaster. The first couple weeks of drinking, I felt like I was living in a personal utopia. Throw enough booze down my gullet, and suddenly I could socialize online. Put even more booze into my system, and I could fall asleep without any problems. That was much preferred to the 2-3 hours it usually took.

For the next 4 and a half years, I would go from drinking one or two nights a week, to bingeing for weeks on end. I would tell myself that I could stop whenever I wanted to, often using that as an excuse to drink more. Well, now I feel I truly want to stop. So far, so good. I still have to endure the self-flagellation of my daily nightmares, but they aren't as bad as they were when I drank. My anxiety is better than it has been in a long time, and I'm currently working on reducing it further.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, and hopefully it may inspire somebody else to take that next step. This is mine.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Vermin! Welcome and congrats on 57 days! I suspect that there are many others who are, for one reason or another, apprehensive to write about themselves and drop it on this site for a bunch of strangers to see, so I am quite sure that your post has helped others. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on stopping drinking and 57 days of sobriety! Like you, I drank to alleviate anxiety and insomnia. How I wish I had never made that decision. It sounds like you're doing well, and I do hope that you will continue to read and post.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 57 days. This is when the long term improvements really start becoming noticeable.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your progress Vermin and thanks for sharing a little of your story

D