Notices

new to recovery

Old 01-21-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to recovery

Hi,

I joined sober recovery last month. I went without a drink for 27 days and then lapsed and binge drank for three days in a row. I have decided start over again and would proactively work on not drinking. I hope I can get support here. Not feeling good about myself at all and it seems like such a daunting task to fight the alcohol addiction.

Would really appreciate any tips, advice from all.

Thanks

am45
Old 01-21-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR!!

27 days was great. You can do that again. What made you pick up that first drink?

It sounds like you need to strengthen your plan. Keep posting here....reach out before you drink! You have to play the tape forward.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi am45

glad youre here and welcome

going to aa meetings is why im sober today

looks like your area has a healthy fellowship

Alcoholics Anonymous

Old 01-21-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by am45 View Post

I went without a drink for 27 days and then lapsed and binge drank for three days in a row.
I had more than a few of those.
Please, just hop back on the Sober Bus.
M-Bob
Old 01-21-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome am45! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello
About 3 months ago I didn't think I could go more than 2 days without drinking myself to oblivion, so you are doing great having gone 27 days.
Add some more tools to your recovery tool box and you got this!
Maybe change up your normal routine especially around the times you feel triggered to drink?
I found the above suggestion works for me, currently at 73 days sober.
I also resonate with others' suggestions to 'play the tape forward' - how will you feel after a bender, how much money will you have wasted etc.
You could see your GP and ask for some meds to assist in the recovery process - my doc prescribed antabuse which I found super helpful because the choice to drink was taken away from me in the first few weeks. I still take half a tab every few days just to keep it in my system. (I hear this medication doesn't work for everyone though as it doesn't stop cravings, it's more of a mental deterrant).
Whatever you do, I hope you succeed

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and it is a daunting task. My advice is to plan. Make a plan that works for you. For me, balance is key to keeping things moving forward.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome am. I echo what others have said. Ive tried many times to quit for good and even had periods of sobriety, but ultimately went back to drinking. You could also look for rehab centers (inpatient or outpatient) in your area. Feel free to join the January 2017 class!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome am45 - you'll definitely find support here

D
Old 01-21-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Lots of support here!! When I first quit I too made about 20+ days before I decided to try having a couple glasses of wine (which lead to more and more, etc... you know the drill). I then finally accepted I was an alcoholic and started logging on here a lot more - not always posting but reading and learning. I read a lot of books on alcoholism and was lucky to have a solid support group in my family and close friends. Lost a few "friends" but in reality they were just people who I knew would always be down to go out drinking with me and not real friends.

I'm 391 days sober today - you've got this!! When you feel like giving in grab a cup of tea (or some other non-alcoholic beverage of choice) and log in to SR. There's always support here.

-Leasha
Old 01-21-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all. Thanks for posting encouraging thoughts. So today is my Day 2 of being sober again after the 3 day binge. But I have pissed off family because of my lying and stealing booze from the liquor cabinet (again!). I did confess later on today. There are so many things mostly related to lying about drinking - i feel i have become this horrible person - I am on the road to self destruction.

I also suffer from depression and anxiety and have been taking ecitalopram. I am also taking baclof for withdrawal management.

I want to not get back to drinking and lying again. I hope I can do it right this time. Will go through the various resources here on SR.

Will keep posting regularly. Thanks once again for your kind messages!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can do this am45

D
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2 again!

I had a lot of those feelings of guilt from lying and doing stupid things when you were drinking. I decided to accept those feelings for what they were and recognized that I can't change the past but I CAN change the future! Also, those bad memories of lying and feelin guilty are good to keep around for times when you feel like giving in and drinking.

Keep posting

-Leasha