Notices

New to the Group, Seeking Advice:

Old 01-20-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New to the Group, Seeking Advice:

Hi all,
I am struggling to kick this "functioning alcoholism" in the butt. I've only been drinking every night for almost two years, but to me, that's two years too long.

I don't drink in the mornings, or when I know I have work and/or school. But the second I get home, the urges are insane. And when I have a complete day off, it's my Field Day to drink "however much I need" Need? Yeah.

Advice/tips on how to cut back/quit the bottle? I'm a vodka drinker and... I'm just getting tired of saying that.

Send help, much love,
M
Old 01-20-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mad hatter

Can't give you any cutting back tips I'm afraid - I only had two speeds - off and full on.

If that sounds like you too, no pressure but you might want to consider quitting might be the more achievable aim?

If your time after work is all about drinking, why not vary your routine a little...instead of sitting down before the TV or whatever you do, why not go for a walk, shoot some hoops, start a hobby...

Posting on here will help too. If you need help just get online and ask

break those associations!
D
Old 01-20-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi madhatter, welcome to SR.

It all starts with not having that first drink.

If you're serious about quitting, you really can do it.

I was like Dee, 2 speeds,off and full on. If you think you may want to quit, you've come to the right place.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Functioning alcoholism is still alcoholism. It took me a while to realize that. I'm an alcoholic and can't have just one drink. Trying to cut back doesn't work.

I think the sooner you accept that the better off you are. Don't let yourself have that first drink. When I first quit when I wanted to drink I made a cup of tea instead. I also found all sorts of new ways to occupy my newly found free time. Get back into a hobby you once enjoyed and put your enrgery into that instead of drinking...
Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello madhatterr, so glad you joined us.

I drank like that too.....I never started until I got home at the end of the day.
But that went on for a lot of years, and before I knew it, I could not function at all.
I eventually messed up my job, actually many jobs, and I was miserable and lost.

I had no idea that quitting was the answer to the peace and freedom I had been looking for all along.

As for how, there are lots of ways.
Sticking close here, and reading and posting helped me immensely.
And there is AA if it appeals to you.
Whichever way you choose, you will have loads of support from everyone here.

Sending love. ♥
Old 01-21-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have found a really special place to get sober if that's what you really want to do! Stay close.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mad. My story is so similar to yours. I'm trying to quit completely. Everyone is right; keep close to SR and start a plan to keep you occupied when the cravings hit.

You can do this!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome madhatter, join up the January 2017 class if youre up to it.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that changing my routines in the early days was very helpful. If you normally drink at the end of the work day, maybe think about going for a long walk or doing some kind of exercise at that time of the day. You will find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome.

I too spent far too long trying to find ways to cut down. My switch settings were the same as Dee's though. On or off. When I finalky committed to sobriety rather than chasing an impossible dream of moderation, then things changed for me. This wasn't a comfortable transition initially, but was less demoralising than setting myself up to fail at moderation time and time again.

AA has been a massive help to me, as has daily reading and posting here. I hope you'll stick around and decide to work for sobriety and recovery. Dee has an excellent thread about making a sobriety plan here... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html
This is worth a good thorough read, and then hopefully you will make a plan to make your sobriety sustainable and serene.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery.

BB
Old 01-21-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I recommend quitting while you are still functioning, because it won't last, even if you can't believe that at the moment. If you can't picture quitting forever, I recommend quitting for a year. This will give you some time to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

Start by getting rid of the supply in your home, since that is where your drinking takes place. Make it completely alcohol free. Stick around and read instead of drinking. There are various forums on this site, and lots of experience available.