Notices

Hi

Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hello, I'm grateful that I found this website. I was searching for 'dizziness during detox' and I found you all. So, I've not had a drink for 10 days after drinking heavily, daily, for the past 3&1/2 years. Prior to 3&1/2 years ago, I was sober for 17 years, which I accomplished on my own. This time, it is definitely harder. Last night, I got out of bed and walked to the kitchen, and I got so dizzy that I fell down my stairs. Miraculously, I survived with a few cuts and an a number of bumps and bruises. This scared me, because I've not ever experienced such a dizzy spell. I definitely know I can fall down, easily, when I'm intoxicated, but this was different because I was not drunk. I don't know what I was... Any comments on dizziness during detox would be helpful to me; e.g., how long do dizzy spells last, do they vary in intensity, when can you reasonably predict how long detox lasts? Thank you so much and I'm so glad I'm here. Sincerely, Theresa22003
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are here too Theresa.

Understandably, we are not permitted to give medical advice but I've suffered dizziness during these early days of my recovery. I'm a little over 80 days sober. I've always attributed it to stress and anxiety, but it has never been severe enough to have me fall down. Where you half asleep, too?

If you fell down with dizziness Theresa I really think you should be assessed by your doctor.

Keep posting to let us know how you are going.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi theresa - welcome

Altho some do, not everyone gets dizzy - and the reasons for someone elses dizziness may nit be the reason for yours.

Don't you think it would be best to check in with a Dr - just to be safe - you wouldn't want to fall or hurt yourself or anything?

D
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So very glad you found us Theresa.
There is wonderful support here, and a fantastic group of people.

I agree that it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor if you can.
Just to be safe, as has been said.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had several vertigo attacks...dizziness....D122y....that motivated me to quit.

I didn't go to the dr. I just healed...by not drinking.

I believe it had to do w blood sugar, my pancreas, and stress.

I had ptsd from the attacks...I had about 6 or so in a 2 day period. I had about 3 in the previous 10 years. So they were increasing in frequency.

My ptsd has nearly quelled completely.

I work out about 4 to 6 days a week. Try to eat healthy. Limit my caffeine.

Any other questions?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi Theresa. I have some mild balance problems because of nerve damage and some tinnitus in my ears but not really dizziness as such.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Theresa, welcome to SR.
When we give up alcohol our bodies have to adjust, as you know. Most of us suffer some kind of withdrawal but with anything, when withdrawing, it's best to get a docs opinion.
I stopped drinking coffee for a while and at the same time I had unbearable pain in my legs, kept me awake at night, that severe. The doc said it was withdrawal from coffee. The pain did pass, fortunately.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Theresa,

I'm glad you found us too. I'd also being seeing a Doctor for peace of mind...well done on your 10 days xxx
Old 01-21-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you can get some help with your dizziness. I used to have that problem (not related to drinking) and my doctor gave me meds to take if I had a dizzy spell.