Notices

Good news weekender 3-5 feb

Old 02-01-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good news weekender 3-5 feb

A few days ago I mentioned in a post how unremittingly bleak a news broadcast had been. Not for the first time we are living in uncertain times.

One thing is certain though, drinking or drugging will not help. It will not make the world go away nor will it make anxiety any easier to deal with. Now is a time for clear heads and sober thinking.

Time too too realize that it's not all doom and gloom. Firstly, it is no longer January. OK so February is not everyone's favorite month but it does mean that we are more than two thirds of the way through winter in the northern hemisphere. For you Aussies out there you are closer to relief from those high temperatures.

I thought about people too, famous or otherwise who are successfully overcoming their addiction. Two examples; firstly Vince Furnier AKA Alice Cooper who has 23 years of sobriety and who remains sharp and witty when interviewed, secondly a friend of mine, not an alcoholic but someone who loved to drink. At the age of 39 he became lactose intolerant and was told he cold no longer drink. He never has and has never complained despite not having the reasons to loathe alcohol that we do.

There are some great stories out there, not least here on SR, it might be someone famous, a friend or even yourself. Why not share that with us here at Weekenders?

Have a great weekend!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun.

Thanks for the post Sao.
I don't really mind February as there are signs that spring is well and truly on the way
Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 02-02-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too!

Thanks Sao.

Great shotgun T.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dropping by to say hello.
Celebrating 180 days today.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks again Sao - thought provoking as always

I read that the late John Wetton (singer in the band Asia) was an alcoholic who beat his addiction so, that's another one in the Win column for us types

D
Old 02-02-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Lunar - long time no see

D
Old 02-02-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Count me in please ☺
Old 02-02-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks Sao, I am in!

On January 27th my daughter celebrated 5 years sober from opiates. I have taken over setting up my Sunday night meeting and have asked her to speak. I will then be presenting her with her 5 year coin. She has been and always will be my greatest inspiration. Although I wish we didn't have to share this experience I am honored that we are on this journey together. It's an incredible bond. My signature line is built from words she gave me when I returned to sobriety. I asked her how she did it. How she had managed to stay away for so long and never look back. She said to me "Because there is no option".

Have a great sober weekend everyone
Old 02-02-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congrats on shotgun Tetra! Hi Gilmer and Trees!

Congrats on 180 days lunar! That's awesome!

Good Morning Dee and Pinky
Old 02-02-2017, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning, February can get really cold here and some are getting close to the cabin fever breaking point. We can start to see the end of the tunnel but summers is not coming quickly enough.

Both my wife and I drank heavily early in our relationship. (I remember once having to talk her down once as she was about to drive away drunk). Then she just stopped drinking, said she didn't like it anymore, while the rest of us continued on. I never did ask her about it, just accepted it and was glad to have a 'built-in' designated driver. Now that I'm in a similar place, I think we are overdue that conversation.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am in too! Basketball game and a swim meet with the kiddos this weekend. Stay warm everyone!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning. Been traveling and extremely busy. Late nights early mornings and irregular sleep. I am back home at last, and glad to find rhetoric weekend bus filling up. I'm in for the weekend!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Nice to see you, Lunar! Congrats on 180 days!

My sponsor is going to hit 30 years in about 6 months. She was very young when she quit, and, by her own admission, did not truly work a program until several years of sobriety. But she white-knuckled and stayed sober anyway. She does not recommend that approach! Now she works as a counselor at a nationally-renowned treatment center and is truly an inspiration to me. No matter how hard her life gets (and it has been very very hard the past couple of years) she manages to stay sober and figure out how to deal with these very difficult challenges. I see her get through things sober that would make even normies drink, and I know I can do that, too.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I listened to Lark's Tongues in Aspic Part 1 yesterday (which I actually have on vinyl)
and remembered a terrific musician who not only made great music
in his own right,but collaborated wonderfully with others.

RIP John Wetton

I'm in by the way, even if old and dated
Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Pinky1

Congratulations on shotgun Tetra

Great to see you Lunar and congratulations on 6 months, that is awesome.

Congratulations too to your daughter LadyBlue

All we have to do is not drink today, we can do it
Old 02-02-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Another great opener, Sao. Thank you for making this a welcoming place in which we all support one another.

One person I admire particularly is Betty Ford. There are many reasons I respect her, include her recovery and advocacy for others.

Here's a good article about her.
Betty Ford: A free spirit who became an inspiration to millions - CSMonitor.com

The last paragraph in the article quotes Mrs. Ford:

"There is joy in recovery," she wrote, "and in helping others discover that joy."

We see that everyday on SR. It's something for which we can all be joyful.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello World ,

thursday night ... good time to plan ahead for those in the early days or who are feeling vunerable .

make sure we dont drive past the bar with a pocket full of money burning a hole in our "pants" friday afternoon ,

make sure the cupboards are stocked with food so if we feel weak in our resolve we can go shopping and pass the alcohol aisle on another day .

Optimism is a good weapon in our arsenal , take some time out to think about the good things sobriety brings , remeber a lot of the rubbish drinking brings .

Getting sober is the pad stone , a solid foundation from which we can build a life unkown to our former selves in my experience .

You, me maybe we're all going to die at 120 years old with a smile on our weather beaten happy wrinkled faces as we remeber what a great sober and joyful life we've had .

A part of my alcoholic nature seemed to think i was going to die soon , within 20 years of whatever age i was .. at 20 i couldnt imagine living till i was 35 .

With the amazing leaps forwards in drugs , care and knowledge none of us know what might be possible in a few short years ..

I'm in for the weekend , i'm in for living to 120 , i'm in for outrageous optimism and the chance to start over for as long as it takes untill it sticks and to live a glorious life

m
Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm in. Thank you Sao for starting us off.

Congrats Lunar on 180 days. That's great!

I've been glued to the media lately. Facebook, radio, newspaper online. It is generally disheartening and grim. I won't drink over it. And there are bright spots to celebrate.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mec, your comment about living to be 120 was timely. I was reading that Dame Vera Lynn, who has a truly lovely voice which she used to entertain during WWII, turns 100 on March 20. And is releasing a new album. Think BIG! Dream big.