Notices

How often do you have unwanted thoughts about drinking?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How often do you have unwanted thoughts about drinking?

My drinking is an addiction, but it was also a habit.

At least 4 to 5 times a day something regarding drinking will “pop” into my head. It’s like a thought and a feeling rolled into one.
  • Going to the grocery store… a giddy sensation will come over me along with the idea to go grab a bottle.
  • Going out to dinner… same sensation with the thought of the wine I will order.
  • Going home after a long day of work… a relieved feeling that I will be able to go reward myself with a drink.

These aren’t terrible cravings. I am able to recognize them as my addicted voice and dismiss them. It is annoying though.

I’m curious how often this happens to others in early recovery, and when those thoughts will stop popping up so often.

Anyone?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

When I'm drinking, I think a lot about drinking. The longer I don't drink, the less I think about it. It is hard at first. There's a hump you have to get over at first, at least for me. A week or so, I'd say. Everybody's different though.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Zero. And I consider myself blessed beyond measure.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not quite a year and they still occasionally pop in to my head. Very early on it felt almost enough to act on it and it required some conscious effort to negate.
Now it feels more like a reminiscing. Funnily enough, the reminiscing bears little resemblance to what my drinking was like in the end
Old 01-19-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

very early on - it was 24/7
Now at 19 months in, after doing my step work, hardly ever. I would say maybe once a month. Very fleeting and I laugh them off.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

At 7.5 years they pop up from time to time. I don't really keep track of them but it is seldom. They are gone as soon as they arrive. Every once in a while they will stay for a minute or so but all I have to do is remind myself there is a reason I don't drink
Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

For my first 30 days it was constant. It got progressively better after that

D
Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Virtually none at all since completing the 4th and 5th steps in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous about 4.5 years ago. Like mentioned above, if a thought pops into my pea brain it's outta there just as quick.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi AlaskaGirl. I went through many phases. Because I'd been drinking 24/7, I was obsessed with it for a while. At around 3 mos. I realized I wasn't thinking about it much anymore. After a year it was very infrequent - and now, at 9 yrs. it almost never crosses my mind. (The thing I once couldn't live without.)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm approaching 7 years and I really don't think about drinking alcohol. The craft beer/micro brewery experience has really exploded in my town the past several years. It's a college town and it's got a reputation for some very good micro breweries. I sometimes wonder what some of the new beers taste like, but I'm not inclined to try them.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

0 in 9 years.
But, I was pretty beat up.
A good bottom (for most) takes care of those thoughts.
M-Bob
Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies! It's nice to hear they will lessen with time.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

They do lessen in time. I thought about it all the time when I first stopped. Then gradually it eased and I hadn't really even noticed until one day I did think about alcohol and it was an odd feeling. Three years in and I do get thoughts sometimes. Usually when I'm hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Anger is the usual culprit but I have to be wary of the others.

They're just thoughts. I look at it and let it go.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I basically have a few hours in the morning when I'm NOT thinking about it. The rest of the time it's either in the front or the back of my brain (4 days in)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have unwanted thoughts sometimes, and I have thoughts about drinking sometimes, but the thoughts about drinking are expected, because I am an alcoholic.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Definitely gets less frequent as time goes on. In the beginning I thought about it a lot, but I had a pretty bad rock bottom and those thoughts actually made me feel physically ill when they popped up. Now, at a bit over two years, the thoughts are very infrequent. As you break the "habit" of drinking at certain times, you'll think about it less and less. And they are really just thoughts. Nothing that needs to be acted upon.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm at 5 days, and I don't think about it until about 5pm. I feel like I have one strong craving, then it goes away.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

At 21 months sober, the thoughts are very infrequent. Occasionally as I drive past a liquor store, there is a flash of memory, but just as quickly I remember what happened to me because of my drinking. The attraction is all but gone.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
These aren’t terrible cravings. I am able to recognize them as my addicted voice and dismiss them. It is annoying though.

I’m curious how often this happens to others in early recovery, and when those thoughts will stop popping up so often.
This may open up a can of worms, but I know that you are reading the Rational Recovery book, so I will say this anyway. The idea that it is somehow good to not have the desire to drink alcohol is the Addictive Voice itself injecting doubt about perfect abstinence in the presence of desire that cannot fulfill itself. It is a set-up.

The Beast is essentially saying "Isn't it wonderful that you don't have any desire to drink (ie, that I'm not very active)? It's futile to struggle against me, after all. You are safe for now, though, as long as I'm not very active, and you don't have any desire to drink. Eventually, though, I might get you to drink, so be very scared of me, and hope that I don't return much."

Phrased a little more succinctly, the desire for the absence of desire conceals a plan to drink in the presence of desire.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I sometimes feel there is this attitude that it is somehow wrong to have a thought of drinking, or a desire to drink. Like BrendaChenowyth said, we are alcoholics, I would think it would be expected we have thoughts of drinking. Otherwise what are we all doing here?

Ive been to many AA meetings and at the beginning of every meeting they ask if anyone has a desire to drink (or is at risk of drinking). 99% of the time no one speaks up. I interpret this as more of a fear of speaking up (imagine that, at an AA meeting) over that 99% of the time no one is thinking about having a drink. I know Ive often failed to speak up when I was dying for a drink. That falls on me. But Ive often wondered what that says about AA that 99% of the time in a room full of people, no one is willing to speak up and say they want to go get drunk.

SR is great in that regard, it is expected with little to no judgement. We all understand. As for me, at 5 days sober, I still think about it. There are thoughts and then there's overwhelming cravings. Those are the ones that Im worried about and trying to prepare myself for.