Notices

How often do you have unwanted thoughts about drinking?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I have unwanted thoughts sometimes, and I have thoughts about drinking sometimes, but the thoughts about drinking are expected, because I am an alcoholic.
Wasn't being fully honest. I spend my days struggling with unwanted thoughts, all day. They just aren't about alcohol any more.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
I sometimes feel there is this attitude that it is somehow wrong to have a thought of drinking, or a desire to drink... 99% of the time no one speaks up. I interpret this as more of a fear of speaking up... I know Ive often failed to speak up when I was dying for a drink.
This is also why I will pick on this idea. Over, and over, and over again.

I have a desire to drink, which I call the Beast, and an Addictive Voice, which is simply the Beast talking in my head, and that is neither good nor bad. The only thing that can be good or bad is how I handle that reality.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I had 2 days last month - after 4.5 years - that I had a few fleeting thoughts. They surprised and annoyed me. But then I thought: "I'm a recovering alcoholic, so it's normal. You don't need a perfect score on never thinking abouf it. You are human after all. Just don't pick up, that's all."

They didn't return, back to normal it seems. So, most of the time it's not a thing.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Much less often now....it definitely gets better. When AV hits, it's usually the same time and place. At home, alone, at night, and there's some degree or stress occurring. At this point it's pretty easy to overcome simply by playing the tape forward and realizing that if I go out to get beer, I'll absolutely hate myself tomorrow. I know how I'll feel and I won't like myself because of what I did.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
This may open up a can of worms, but I know that you are reading the Rational Recovery book, so I will say this anyway. The idea that it is somehow good to not have the desire to drink alcohol is the Addictive Voice itself injecting doubt about perfect abstinence in the presence of desire that cannot fulfill itself. It is a set-up.

The Beast is essentially saying "Isn't it wonderful that you don't have any desire to drink (ie, that I'm not very active)? It's futile to struggle against me, after all. You are safe for now, though, as long as I'm not very active, and you don't have any desire to drink. Eventually, though, I might get you to drink, so be very scared of me, and hope that I don't return much."

Phrased a little more succinctly, the desire for the absence of desire conceals a plan to drink in the presence of desire.
I'll have to mull that over for a good long time. Thanks Algorithm
Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At seven years sober I rarely have thoughts of drinking and the thought itself makes me feel repulsed. They do crop up sometimes, but I know, as was said, I don't have to act on them.