Notices

Re-Building Relationships One By One

Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Re-Building Relationships One By One

Hello, everyone.

Checking in at the end of Day 18. Lots of emotions lately...can't say that any have been negative, just a lot of thinking and reflection on all that's happened, now that I have a clear head.

Something I've embarked on lately is re-building and repairing relationships that mean the most to me. I'm not working any steps, per se - it just naturally feels like the right thing to do, given that I wasn't present in all of my relationships while an active alcoholic, and I can now devote more energy to them as a sober person.

I was legitimately scared to start connecting with people again, given the damage I had done (or the neglect/lack of attention I had shown, which can be just as bad). I expected negative reactions from some people, but so far so good. My way of reaching out has been simply asking for an hour to have some coffee or tea and just talk for a while, or to go to the person's favorite spot around town. It seems like certain people are just glad to have "me" back.

Are any of you starting to work on relationships that might have been damaged or neglected while drinking, whether it's part of steps or not? How is it going for you?

Peace and wellness,
ABW1
Old 01-19-2017, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi ABetterWay1,
Congratulations on 18 days

Great work on your relationships.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 18 days

its cool that we get to think about how our action have affected others
Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 18 days of sobriety! And, good job on focusing on the relationships in your life. Like you, I neglected everyone in my life while I was drinking. I am not an AA person either, but I put a lot of effort into the most important relationships in my life. And, I removed a few toxic people in my life, too. I think it's so important to remember that recovery involves so much more than stopping drinking.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Congratulations on 18 days of sobriety! And, good job on focusing on the relationships in your life. Like you, I neglected everyone in my life while I was drinking. I am not an AA person either, but I put a lot of effort into the most important relationships in my life. And, I removed a few toxic people in my life, too. I think it's so important to remember that recovery involves so much more than stopping drinking.
Thanks, Anna!

And yes...removing toxic people has been crucial as well! I forgot to include that in my original post. I'm wondering if anyone has done that too, and how that's been going. I have some people who I've currently put on No Contact because they're actively detrimental to my recovery.

ABW1