Notices

new to this ..but i think it might be time

Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this ..but i think it might be time

hi ...44 year old functional alcoholic..i always said I put the fun in FUNCTIONAL but I am tired of it....I am the fun party guy or was , and it is starting to affect..or is it effect my health.....
I do not know how to sleep without a buzz..if that makes anybody understand....
I watch shows like INTERVENTION...but I am not that guy..I am not drinking gallons of vodka
sorry I type this way..i am very stream of conscience left brain guy haha
but since the age of 16..i NEED a drink at night to fall asleep...
I have read stories..and always thought ..THAT isn't me
I am a beer guy...I do fine during the week ..no hangovers ..but I always screw up on weekends I do not have my kids..
recently been smoking weed..which helps a lot...

sorry for the wall of text...lol ..
but someone to talk to would be nice
Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi again poiko,
We sound just like each other. Functional, not that bad, etc. I absolutely am one to watch intervention and compare myself - lol. But obviously something is wrong if we are seeking out sites like this. I'm on day 3 so very very new to this but I want to offer my support if I can.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i have read some of your posts..i might be kind of like you
I go to work every day
I make good money..i feed my kids...I most of the time enjoy drinking...
but I know I am doing it wrong....
cus come the weekend I get stupid....no one knows because I have am a masterful drunk,,lol..but am no longer good at hang overs...

but really
since 16...at least 2 40 oz of beer a day...
if I have the flu... 2 40's
if I have something at work and will only get minimum sleep...2 40's

lol
talk to me ...might wanna actaually straighten my ass out
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"Functional" isn't a type of alcoholic, it's a stage of alcoholism. You'll wake up one day and won't be functional anymore and you'll wonder what happened.

Get sober now and you'll have the rest of your life to live. Keep drinking and who knows what will happen.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also thought that it was working for me for a long time but, eventually the wheels fell off. You need not go down as far as the ones that you see on the Intervention Program. If alcoholic? You may also be there before you know it? So many unknowns for the alcoholic.
M-Bob
Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think this is my first small step ...wish me luck
Old 01-18-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thank all you for replies ..baby steps..but finally thinking it is time is a big step for me
Old 01-18-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wisdom to me is being able to learn from someone else's experiences before they happen to us. You don't have to ride the train all the way to the wreck to stop drinking. Some of us do, but not all. You have a great opportunity to make a positive change in your life before thing get out of hand. I'm not saying they absolutely will, but I wouldn't bet money against it. You have nothing to lose by quitting drinking. I know I don't ever want to go back.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

luckily not even close to the tv show..but weekends are killer ..especially when I do not have my kids...every other weekend
but the hard part is..
I do not know how to end my day without alchohol
even if not enough for a hangover..which I only do on weekends ..
Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Poiko. I'm glad you are thinking about stopping. 13 months ago, I believed that I was a 43-year-old highly functional alcoholic that drank more when I didn't have my kids and NEEDED a few drinks in me to sleep. Then I quit. And now I KNOW that I never needed booze to sleep, I wasn't highly functional, I'm a way better father to my kids, and life without being trapped by alcohol is a thousand times better. You can do it. Good luck to you! My thoughts are with you.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you for your reply...I am a pretty good dad..but I used to be a great dad ..I need to remember that
but yeah 27 years of drinkinking EVERYDAY is hard to stop...
lol no one ever knows I am drinking ...but I am...6 -7 beers ...on weeknights..but ****
I would love to fall asleep or relax withoiut that
Old 01-18-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I 'functioned' well. I am retired now but got to the top of my professional slippery pole despite drinking every night until I fell asleep. Mornings were like I was having a breakdown every day. I chaired meetings afraid to pick iup a cup of coffee in case my hands would shake. When they did I was probably the only person who noticed, because it wasn't major..so I thought I was probably OK a lot of the time.

I 'functioned' but I was miserable. I pushed away the idea that I was 'one of them' because I wasn't in the gutter, or a car wreck or other disaster and I had a decent standard of living.

I've returned to AA recently, partly because I finally realised that alcohol was at the core of my life and despite all my excuses and letting myself off the hook I am an alcoholic. The labels kind of don't matter but they also kind of do. For me, acknowledging the word means I can't ******** myself any more.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks for response...luckily I am not at the shaking bit...but I am at the anxiety point where I ned to know when I can have a beer..well I have been for 26 years..it gets old ..thanks for talking with me all.
the fun guy at the party is tired of it ..
Old 01-18-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hi Poiko and welcome to SR

About 8 years ago I enjoyed two wines a night whilst cooking dinner. Without me really realising it my drinking slowly increased where I was drinking a bottle a night then just before I stopped I was drinking a bottle and a half each night, weekends I would start in the morning and just maintain a steady buzz for the day and I couldn't sleep without it.

I thought I was 'functioning'. Went to work each day, looked after my kids when they were with me. But now after 41 days sober I realise I was not functioning at all. My whole life revolved around my drinking. It had become a neccessity and I found myself powerless to go a day without.

The freedom I have found since becoming sober is wonderful. You don't have to hit a low bottom to decide you want freedom from alcohol, for me it was the realisation that I couldn't go a day without and that was enough for me to recognise I had a BIG problem.

You have nothing to lose but your dependency on alcohol and much to gain if you feel you are ready.

Good luck and stick around here.

Scruff
Old 01-18-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Needing to know when you can have a beer is a sign of addiction. I spent every day figuring out when I'd be able to have that first glass of wine, and looking forward to it. If it was delayed for some reason, I got agitated and crabby. I told myself I "needed" it to relax.

Well guess what - I learned to relax without it. Toward the end it wasn't really working anyway, because it was just causing more and more anxiety.

What is your plan to quit? You're probably going to need support. 26 years is a long time to be drinking daily.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Poiko!!!
I was also a "functional" alcoholic and relied on drinking to fall asleep. It's the only way I could fall asleep! On day 18 now, and sleeping sober is the most amazing feeling. Not gonna lie, the first week wasn't easy...got an hour here and there if lucky and I wasn't the most pleasant person to be around BUT push through it and I promise you won't regret it. Personally, I find myself much happier, patient and PRODUCTIVE!!!
You'll realize how much more functional you really can be
So glad you found this site!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yeah huge step..but I am glad I am putting my foot in.... gonna put my foot in..scared of the first step...I think the 1st day will be the hardest
Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

going to try the ween method.....lol
as I said...weeknights I am pretty good...and after the first few drinks...its like something to do...maybe odouls or another na beer..
but truthfully..its like muscle memory..i grab a beer cus I don't know what to do with my other hand...lol.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thanks for reply
wow a whole night sleep

looking forward to it
Old 01-18-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Keep on posting here
Every day I avoid alcohol I get a better idea of how bad I really was/am getting. It is like I have a list of things that alcoholics do (miss work, lose their jobs and homes, get arrested for dui, lose loved ones over drinking, drink everyday, drink in the morning etc) and if I don't do anything from the list, I'm not one and therefore don't need to stop.
Oh, and if I did something from the list, it was a one off, just a bad day and not really indicative of anything.