Notices

Alcohol and pregnancy - help

Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and pregnancy - help

Hi-

I'm new to this site and am looking for help and support with my alcohol abuse. I am pregnant and have been drinking over the course of the pregnancy and am very concerned for both myself and my baby. I am 20 weeks pregnant and have had more than 2 glasses of wine per week as my doctor as recommended limiting to and although my ultrasounds have come up perfectly normal and the baby seems to be in the right size range, I'm still concerned that I could done damage to her development. I feel so unbelievable guilty and last night even had dreams about committing suicide because of the stupid things I've done that could cause permanent damage to my daughter. I want to give her the best life I can and feel like I've totally destroyed the most blessed gift I could have.
I want to stop for her, myself and my husband, but need to hear that I haven't destroyed something that I have so desperately wanted for so long.
Please say prayers for my baby and any supportive words would be so appreciated.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is no way for anyone to be able to answer that.

I think the best thing to do is just quit now.

Your mind is racing and part of that is just a physical reaction to alcohol. The only thing to do is quit now and give her the best chance don't you think Runner43?

Don't go to Dr. Google!! It is always worst-case scenario on the internet searches.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your pregnancy! And awesome for you for wanting to stop drinking for the health of you and the baby! While you won't find a lot of medical-type advice here, you sure will find tons of support from people who have given up drinking for a whole variety of reasons. So glad you are here
Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please, please, for the sake of your baby, read our Sticky on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. This is not about you, but about your unborn child and I know you want the best for your baby:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-syndrome.html
Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words and support. I want to do the best for her and my family and feel like a huge disappointment. I've reached out to the NOFAS too to see if I can get a mentor from other women who have had these same issues so I can do the best for my baby.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing you can do is to stop drinking today and talk to your dr honestly about your alcohol consumption so that he is aware. Do this for your baby.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Runner43

I agree with Anna the best thing you can do is stop drinking now, consult with your doctor, and start building up a support network to stay sober with

D