Notices

Juicing! :)

Old 01-17-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Juicing! :)

So to find something to satiate myself in the evenings I went out and spent a small fortune on fancy juices from my local juice bar. Delicious and nutritious

Currently sipping one called 'the healer' turmeric root, ginger, orange, pineapple, celery, lemon, himalayan pink salt

has an excellent kick to it and I think will leave me feeling much better

Anyone else a fan? It seems there's huge health benefits.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a vitamix and a brevil. Juicing is good but a huge commitment. Money and time. But I'll go on kicks and juice for a week or so every couple of months. I stick mostly to veggies and low sugar fruits. Otherwise the calories really add up.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Btw my favorite is carrot, kale, green apple and ginger.

I also like to use my vitamix to make smoothies. Coconut water as the base. It's easier than juicing and I can better control the calories. And I get all the fiber, which the juicing removes.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been interested in juicing with a machine but haven't tried it yet. Seems fun and experimental. I like a lot of pre-made juices but it can be difficult to find ones that aren't filled with sugar!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the high end Ninja. It pulverizes the whole fruit and/or veggie into juice without the mess. I had a juicer and sold it. I buy ripe bananas in bulk,cut up and freeze for smoothies. For our treat we are having now I used the bananas, fresh mixed berries, and almond milk. I love using fresh oranges and apples with spinach for juices. I use in place of booze for something satisfying.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been rocking the magic bullet for morning shakes. Taste good - quick and easy.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love juicing!

FYI - My fiance and I have owned, in the past year, a really expensive fancy juicer and a $40 Hamilton Beach juicer from Target. The cheapo juicer doesn't look as fancy, but it absolutely works just as well. Kale, beets, green apple, ginger, carrots, citrus - all work great.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ustacallmelola View Post
I have the high end Ninja. It pulverizes the whole fruit and/or veggie into juice without the mess. I had a juicer and sold it. I buy ripe bananas in bulk,cut up and freeze for smoothies. For our treat we are having now I used the bananas, fresh mixed berries, and almond milk. I love using fresh oranges and apples with spinach for juices. I use in place of booze for something satisfying.
Mighty loud Ninja, but love it. I add tumeric, ginger, yum.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
fgo

Get the ninja. I have a smoothie almost everyday. Almond milk, mixed berries, kale, spinach, banana, good protein powder, flax seed, chia seed. Awsome. I had a juicer to much waste. Thanks for the thread sober life.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love juicing and making smoothies! A great way to get in all of the good stuff. I have always ate healthy, but when drinking ate very little if at all. My adrenals were shot, low energy, sallow skin, bloated. I am POSITIVE I was so deficient in nutrients. I try to juice or have a smoothie every day.

Today was beet, grapefruit, parsley, carrot, cranberries and a few cloves of garlic. It didn't taste the greatest, but it's what I had in the fridge. If I can get straight vodka down on a nightly basis, this juice was a piece of cake! Lol

Smoothies are a great way to get in protein powders, powdered amino acids, l glutamine in. I throw in some fruit, Greek yogurt, avocado or kale. Lately I've been using coconut milk as the liquid. Blend it all up in the ninja.

I drink a ton of H20 also. It is a great way to throw in some lemon, tumeric, cayenne, chia seeds, ACV or whatever I feel like. (Not all at once).

Great thread!!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a juicer and make my own juice. I don't really follow any recipe, I just follow my gut and it usually turns out really well. One tip, if you are going to kale, make sure you juice some lemons to cut the strong kale taste.

One video that got me hooked is called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" by an Aussie named Joe Cross. The story is quite good and it won several awards. After watching it a couple of times on Netflix, I bought my own copy.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I have a juicer and make my own juice. I don't really follow any recipe, I just follow my gut and it usually turns out really well. One tip, if you are going to kale, make sure you juice some lemons to cut the strong kale taste.

One video that got me hooked is called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" by an Aussie named Joe Cross. The story is quite good and it won several awards. After watching it a couple of times on Netflix, I bought my own copy.
This is a great movie. I did grapefruit, beet,ginger, lemon, cayenne and milk thistle for lunch (my 'love your liver' drink) it's fun and gives you something to plan for and do. I like doing juicing because it's something nice and healthy to focus on instead of booze.

I'm also into buying cold-pressed juices if I'm on the go. Really interesting process how they make it and you get TONS OF nutrients.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree Fat, sick and nearly dead has GREAT info. They have a part 2 on netflix now as well, which is good. I also recommend Food Matters on netflix. There is a brief mention of supplements and alcoholism on there as well.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

When I buy kale, I'll chop it up and freeze it. Just throw a handful in when needed and keeps for a very long time. I'd love a vitamix. Had Ninja but it didn't seem to last very long.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
When I buy kale, I'll chop it up and freeze it. Just throw a handful in when needed and keeps for a very long time.
I do this too! Same with spinach, avacado's, bananas or any fruit that I can't consume before it's overripe.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I tried to get into this and it is definitely something I'm interested in.

Done a lot of research and subsequently bought a cold pressed juicer.

Alas, it must thrown in the back of someone elses garden shed now.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This thread makes me happy
Old 01-17-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Doing the blender thing with a WIDE variety of fruits and veggies, all the stuff I'd never normally eat (red cabbage, kale, beets, cauliflower, ginger root, etc., etc., etc.).
Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I do the immersion blender method. I freeze berries so it comes out smoothie like. I usually add a banana, a handful of berries, half an avocado, spinach, an apple, ginger and whole milk plain yogurt. I dump it all into the tall container that comes with the immersion blender and then blend it all together. No waste, nothing to throw out like some juicers. It is delicious- and no, you don't even taste the green stuff (even though I love spinach.)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
I love juicing and making smoothies! A great way to get in all of the good stuff. I have always ate healthy, but when drinking ate very little if at all. My adrenals were shot, low energy, sallow skin, bloated. I am POSITIVE I was so deficient in nutrients. I try to juice or have a smoothie every day.

Today was beet, grapefruit, parsley, carrot, cranberries and a few cloves of garlic. It didn't taste the greatest, but it's what I had in the fridge. If I can get straight vodka down on a nightly basis, this juice was a piece of cake! Lol

Smoothies are a great way to get in protein powders, powdered amino acids, l glutamine in. I throw in some fruit, Greek yogurt, avocado or kale. Lately I've been using coconut milk as the liquid. Blend it all up in the ninja.

I drink a ton of H20 also. It is a great way to throw in some lemon, tumeric, cayenne, chia seeds, ACV or whatever I feel like. (Not all at once).

Great thread!!
I got super focused on making theses waters and drinks at the beginning, helped me focus, I still ALWAYS have some kind of a water with lots of ice